Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think).

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #11  
To answer your question it is normal for CVTs to act in this manner. Basically they are belt driven machines and when you throttle it takes a few seconds for the clutch to tighten up enough to transfer engine torque to ground. Once you've ridden it enough you don't really notice the hesitation.

My Honda Rincon has a torque converter and hydraulically transfers engine torque to ground with no hesitation past a certain RPM. Ive owned it for going on 17 years and never needed maintenance on the transmission-still shifts and hauls the same since I bought her new in 2003. Cool thing about it is I can either go full automatic or choose to manually shift electronically. No manual clutches..

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #12  
All CVT's aren't created the same, and I MUCH prefer Yamaha's, as it doesn't use the belt as part of the clutch, the belt is only used for the tranny! That's important because it's a stronger longer lasting system.

Yamaha has a separate clutch in the system, NO belt slipping going on to get going, MUCH better.

SR

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #13  
All CVT's aren't created the same, and I MUCH prefer Yamaha's, as it doesn't use the belt as part of the clutch, the belt is only used for the tranny! That's important because it's a stronger longer lasting system.

Yamaha has a separate clutch in the system, NO belt slipping going on to get going, MUCH better.

SR

Maybe that's why they warrant the belt for 10 years?

I bought a Yamaha Wolverine X2 last September. Part of the awkward takeoff is the ergonomics of the accelerator pedal position. A riser to rest my heel on seems to put the ankle in a position to finesse the throttle better.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #14  
I will never own a belt driven machine accept for my lawnmower:) Cheapest way to transfer engine torque to the wheels-cheapest.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #15  
I will never own a belt driven machine accept for my lawnmower:) Cheapest way to transfer engine torque to the wheels-cheapest.
I don't mind CVT's. I've owned several and they worked fine.
I sold my last ATV a while back. (Kawasaki Brute Force 750) was CVT belt drive with just over 7300 miles. Never had a belt fail .
My current UTV (Polaris RZR 900s) has 6560 miles. I'm running my 2nd belt (I carry the original for a spare) . Never had a belt issue.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #16  
A good belt drive will last and work well. My 1 SxS is not belt driven but my work machine is and it works well. It is the Mule FXT Pro and the drive is SOLID. Have pulled over 2K up some steep WV hills and never had it slip.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #17  

SR

^ This!

If you go with a CVT system, the Yamaha is the most trouble-free. I've been ATV/UTV shopping for a few months now and that is the general consensus on all the ATV/UTV forums. And the Yamaha system provides phenomenal engine braking - almost too strong - when you back off the throttle. Something that can't be said about some of the other makes out there.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #18  
Seems that most CVT transmissions today in ATV's and UTV's have a separate clutch and engine braking. This is the drive system is what I'd get and have in our 6x6 boss. No they're not perfect, but still pretty darn good.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #19  
They have progressed a LOT over the years. I won't say one is better than another, there is other factors. Say a Rhino (40ish hp), Mule (47 hp on pro), WOLVERINE X2 (70 hp) but it is also not getting fed close to 200hp from something like a MAVERICK X3 X MR TURBO RR. With that much HP I can see where the belt maybe a larger problem than on much lower HP models. Also I would also mention that a lot of guys that are running the top HP machine are running them HARD. That has to take a toll on a belt.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #20  

Yamaha has a separate clutch in the system, NO belt slipping going on to get going, MUCH better.SR

Kawasaki Mule Pros use a constant tension belt with a wet clutch for durability, engine braking, and smoooooth engagement.

I know some people worry about belts but they sure last a long time in cars running OHC. Harley Davidson utilizes belt drive which is open right down where it gets all the road dirt, rain, whatever and they typically last 80,000-100,000 miles before needing replaced. I'm on my third UTV, Mule-Polaris-Mule, all utilized a CVT belt and I've never had to replace one. Heck they use belt CVT in 150+ HP snowmobiles! I bet after buying filter and the fluid it would more expensive to do the routine hydro fluid replacement on a Kubota RTV than replace a belt. Some advantages to belt cvt, especially with separate clutch, is how effecient and smooth they are. Good ones with sealed enclosures using fan forced air for cooling seem to last a ridiculously long time unless completely abused like towing heavy loads up a steep grade in high range. The good thing is even if it is abused it is simple and cheap to replace the belt yourself. Do the same abuse to say a Honda Pioneer 1000 with its dual clutch you are talking pretty big $.