Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think).

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #21  
I used to participate in an ATV forum where brand preference was a non-stop war of words, so I say the following with caution.

I've has a Honda electric shift for 20 years and it has worked great for the most part. It does need to warm up to work right and it can get confused at times and it gets really confused if you shut it off in gear. But I always liked it better than my foot shifted Recon and automatic Polaris. Then I added a Suzuki King Quad 400 to the mix. Its a nice size for anyone who wants to ride it, its very quiet, and has a nice smooth ride. It pauses a second to engage when you shift it into drive or reverse but the automatic trans works great. Its now my favorite.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #22  
I have 4 Polaris' now, all CVT, but all feel a little different, partly because they are different engines, models, and years. I had a manual Yamaha in the past, sport quad with no reverse.
The 2002 Trailboss has a fair amount of hesitation, but that's good, that's the one the wife, older kids, and newbies ride. Super comfy for all day riding.
The 2004-1/2 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin has a shifter for L, H, N, R, P, but once in a gear it's CVT, with no hesitation at all in Low. I don't use H very often, because it's too high for steeper hills, and not fun in trails, & with the heavy mud tires it feels too unsteady at speed. This also has an engine brake, which isn't that noticeable in High, but in Low it will slide you forward on the seat if you let off too fast. Great for hills, and towing/plowing/dragging, etc. Also it's a beast, went through muddy swamp goo up to the fender openings like nothing, whereas a brand new 870 was having trouble (stock tires).
The 2007 Polaris Scrambler, has a slight hesitation, but it will still pull a wheelie, or kick you off the back if you forget to hold on. Bought it brand new, can ride it all day in the trails, but it will also do 55mph wide open. Wide knobby mud tires, so on stock tires I'm sure it would go faster.
The 2013 Sportsman 90 has hesitation, but it's also 2 stroke and not meant for an adult to ride it. But with younger kids, its not as noticeable.

The 2007 Yamaha was a manual, but honestly, in the trails, all you did was shift from 2nd to 3rd, around every corner, every tree, etc. Was an absolute rocketship at a mere 365lbs, (They saved weight by eliminating reverse) and has been clocked at 67mph.

But if you plan to do a lot of tighter trail riding, or working around the farm, hunting, or firewood, manual doesn't have any advantage over an auto if the auto has an engine brake. I also plow with the 700, thats a lot of back and forth, raise plow, lower plow etc. So shifting is just 1 more thing you have to do.

Just my 2 cents, I know Honda guys love their machines, I just didn't care for the lower ground clearance with the solid rear axle, and the way the trailer hitch mounted to it. I'd rather have the hitch up on the frame, but that's just my preference.

Last edited:
   / Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #23  
I suggest test driving the one's with CVT and the one without (Honda the only one?).

My wife and I test drove a Kawasaki UTV and a Honda Pioneer UTV over a small trail in the back of the dealership. While I liked the look of the Kawasaki the Honda ride was significantly better.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #24  
I’ve got 4 Polaris machines with CVT. 2005 Sportsman 700, 2010 Ranger 800, 2014 RZR 900, 50cc Kids sportsman. Zero CVT issues with any of them. With the exception of the RZR all have very smooth and progressive CVT operation. The RZR is pretty jerky from a standstill. I attributed that to the high performance nature of that platform. Probably could be easily changed with a clutch kit. I made a comment on a forum a couple months ago RE the 2005 Sportsman that I forgot it even had a belt (addressing a complaint about belt wear). I’ve used that machine continuously since I bought it for plowing snow, yard work and driving around the property and all I’ve ever done to it is change fluids, batteries (2), and replace the winch cable.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #25  
I’ve got 4 Polaris machines with CVT. 2005 Sportsman 700, 2010 Ranger 800, 2014 RZR 900, 50cc Kids sportsman. Zero CVT issues with any of them. With the exception of the RZR all have very smooth and progressive CVT operation. The RZR is pretty jerky from a standstill. I attributed that to the high performance nature of that platform. Probably could be easily changed with a clutch kit. I made a comment on a forum a couple months ago RE the 2005 Sportsman that I forgot it even had a belt (addressing a complaint about belt wear). I’ve used that machine continuously since I bought it for plowing snow, yard work and driving around the property and all I’ve ever done to it is change fluids, batteries (2), and replace the winch cable.
I 100% agree on the Polaris ATV's. I've had one for 6 years now and never had a problem with it. Maintenance and one battery is all it's ever needed. Both of my neighbors have mid 2k Polaris 500's with the little bed on them and the same reliability on those too.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #26  
Whatever you do, do not buy a Kymco or any other cheap Knock off brand atv.

Polaris, Can-am, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki only.

CVT transmissions are fine, they’ve been using them in snowmobiles since they’ve been invented. I have one in my rzr which weighs a lot more than an atv and it’s fine, no problems

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #27  
Whatever you do, do not buy a Kymco or any other cheap Knock off brand atv.

That's harsh. Have you owned any Kymcos?

I have had 6 of them, and all the other brands, too. Kymco is made is Taiwan, and is also the maker of numerous machines with other brand names on them, including Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, and BMW.

My current utility ATV is a 2017 Kymco MXU 450i 4x4, which has been flawless. It has CVT, and I have modified the vents to keep the vermin out.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #28  
That's harsh. Have you owned any Kymcos?

I have had 6 of them, and all the other brands, too. Kymco is made is Taiwan, and is also the maker of numerous machines with other brand names on them, including Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, and BMW.

My current utility ATV is a 2017 Kymco MXU 450i 4x4, which has been flawless. It has CVT, and I have modified the vents to keep the vermin out.
I agree. A good friend has one that's like a 16 or 17 Kymco and has had no problems with it at all and he's not easy on it either.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #29  
Not all CVT's are created equally, MOST manufacturers use the cheap "spin on the sheave" before takeoff. Yamaha and Suzuki uses a constant tension CVT together with a Sprague clutch (engine braking) and wet centrifugal clutch in an oil bath to engage the CVT on the initial start. This way you get the smoothest takeoff a CVT an offer. I have had a Suzuki Kingquad 500 powersteering, and now have a 2020 KQ750 Powersteering. I still choose them because they work the best for my needs as a working machine, I don't need the latest and most powerful.

/ Complete rookie ATV question about CVT (I think). #30  
Not all CVT's are created equally, MOST manufacturers use the cheap "spin on the sheave" before takeoff. Yamaha and Suzuki uses a constant tension CVT together with a Sprague clutch (engine braking) and wet centrifugal clutch in an oil bath to engage the CVT on the initial start. This way you get the smoothest takeoff a CVT an offer. I have had a Suzuki Kingquad 500 powersteering, and now have a 2020 KQ750 Powersteering. I still choose them because they work the best for my needs as a working machine, I don't need the latest and most powerful.
The majority of atv and utv manufacturers today use a separate clutch with there CVT drives. These work well and are dependable. Most also offer power assist steering. I can't comment on whatever Kymcos does.