compressed air to prevent pipe freeze

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #11  
In the early fall I would always purge my irrigation distribution system with my compressor. Connect the compressor to last hydrant and go around opening one hydrant at a time. It took the better part of an hour but prevented freeze up on the extensive distribution system.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze
I have always set our pressure to 45 psi
never had any problems!

big bubba you forgot something?????
where is your generator?????????

You could have a 2K watt generator
and used heat lamps nothing would
have froze under the sink, leave doors
open and have the heat lamp right in
front of the sink or a 1K generator would
work with regular light bulbs just and
idea

willy

willy
good point! my cabin is remote & don't live there full time. rural electric is unpredictable & was w/o service for 10 hrs. a generator household setup would be the way to go w/auto setup, but really don't want to go to that expense, time, etc. my plumbing setup is entirely under sink & simple (no commode/washing machine, etc)
point well taken though

thanks to the info here, i'll plumb an inline fitting on the sink supply & purge when necessary in this unpredictable climate of extremes. thanks for input

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #13  
My cabin took a big hit when the elec failed during extended sub zero temps. heat lamp under sink works great when there's power, but i lost a tankless water heater & pipes in the aftermath w/o power for many hrs. The supply from the pump house is below cabin, so a purge in extremes would be good.
what is your method of using compressed air to purge lines?

& for those familiar w/elec tankless heaters, w/circuit off, is there any problem with using compressed air to purge the tank through the lines? (& i'm careful to fill tank completely before use again)
Sorry for your freezing issues.

Around here, especially in SW lower Michigan, there are a lot of seasonal cottages due to the large number of lakes. If you don't want to leave the heat on all winter, they have to be winterized. My grandparents did it annually before leaving for Florida for the winter.

They'd shut off the water well at the circuit breaker.
Drain all of the plumbing through a spigot next to the pump.
Shut off and drain the water heater.
Fully open every faucet on every sink, hose bib, etc.
Flush the toilet to drain the tank.
Pour anti-freeze into the toilet and every sink drain trap.
They never blew out any pipes, but that couldn't hurt. As others have mentioned, you can easily put air hose fittings into your system like they do to blow out lawn sprinkler systems.

Look on Youtube for videos on how to winterize a cabin or cottage and there's quite a few that give step-by-step instructions.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #14  
For that matter, I know a guy that quit his job and started his own company. All he does is property management for cottages and vacation homes. It involves winterizing for customers, checking their properties throughout the winter, and opening their properties before they get back. In summers he manages repairs, mowing, boat docks in and out, etc. Pretty lucrative business if you have a good reputation.

Sorry for your freezing issues.

Around here, especially in SW lower Michigan, there are a lot of seasonal cottages due to the large number of lakes. If you don't want to leave the heat on all winter, they have to be winterized. My grandparents did it annually before leaving for Florida for the winter.

They'd shut off the water well at the circuit breaker.
Drain all of the plumbing through a spigot next to the pump.
Shut off and drain the water heater.
Fully open every faucet on every sink, hose bib, etc.
Flush the toilet to drain the tank.
Pour anti-freeze into the toilet and every sink drain trap.
They never blew out any pipes, but that couldn't hurt. As others have mentioned, you can easily put air hose fittings into your system like they do to blow out lawn sprinkler systems.

Look on Youtube for videos on how to winterize a cabin or cottage and there's quite a few that give step-by-step instructions.
another good post for my challenge. i can basically gravity drain my system under sink as the pump house is below the cabin. but pockets remain such as tankless water heater reservoirs. during the outage the reservoirs froze solid necessitating new purchase ($600, ouch). so i will need to air purge as well under the sink.
sounds as if your gr'parents has a good system going. regards

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #17  
My employer has us pour some vegetable oil into floor drains after we add water. They say it covers the surface of the water in the trap and prevents or lessons evaporation so the sewer gas doesn't come up. Of course, this is in non-freezing areas.

/ compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #18  
If you don't feel like making up your own adapters they are readily sold. We have a couple different versions that we use for our outside spigots & to clear the irrigation lines in th eraised gardens... Oh, & it does not take much pressure at all to clear the lines... I like having the ball valve to help control the air flow.

They are similar to these:

Dual Purpose Winterize Adapter

Air Compressor Quick-Connect Plug To Female Garden Hose

Air Comp Quick-Connect Plug To 3/4" Garden Hose Faucet Blow Out Adapter

thanks to the info in this thread lead me to the simplest adapter shrade/3/4 pipe thread thanks for input on this

Attachments

• DSCN0327.JPG
    DSCN0327.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
   / compressed air to prevent pipe freeze #20  
I like to use a larger fitting than a tire valve so that a greater volume of air gets into the pipe quickly to get the water moving. You want lots of volume of air quickly. I usually just use a rubber air hose nozzle and push it against an open spigot at a high point in my plumbing. Open a spigot at the far end - usually a garden spigot, set my air pressure to 60/70 psi, and give it successive 10 or 20 second shots until water quits coming out the far end of the plumbing.
rScotty