conduit recommendation

/ conduit recommendation #1  

brown91

Tractor
Kubota 3901
Hello everyone...newby here!

I am currently in the process of rewiring a 1972 MF 135 for my dad. The wiring for the lights over the rear fenders got ripped out by some brush he was pushing with the box blade. I wanted to come back with new wiring from the dash, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the conduit to I should use. The issue I have is that there really isn't any good connection locations for any kind of conduit across the rear axel housing. Right now the best I can come up with is to use a flexible plastic or rubber conduit similar to "liquidtight" and maybe use zip ties (won't last long) or pipe clamps. I had thought about adding some sort of steel tube, but again, there doesn't appear to be any places to secure it. I just didn't want to run unprotected wire or a plastic wire loom, but I see that used a lot on older tractor wiring. I was wondering if anyone has any good solutions/suggestions or am I overthinking this?

Thanks.

/ conduit recommendation #2  
Hello everyone...newby here!

I am currently in the process of rewiring a 1972 MF 135 for my dad. The wiring for the lights over the rear fenders got ripped out by some brush he was pushing with the box blade. I wanted to come back with new wiring from the dash, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the conduit to I should use. The issue I have is that there really isn't any good connection locations for any kind of conduit across the rear axel housing. Right now the best I can come up with is to use a flexible plastic or rubber conduit similar to "liquidtight" and maybe use zip ties (won't last long) or pipe clamps. I had thought about adding some sort of steel tube, but again, there doesn't appear to be any places to secure it. I just didn't want to run unprotected wire or a plastic wire loom, but I see that used a lot on older tractor wiring. I was wondering if anyone has any good solutions/suggestions or am I overthinking this?

Thanks.
I like sealtite unless there is some heat or crush problems.

Yunno some sealtite has metal flex inside (tougher), and some is just the PVC outside (cheaper). If you use the metal-lined I would make sure you have some sort of bushing, (or tape wrap) .. . . or even the correct end-fitting (omg) to make sure the vibration does not cause the metal to wear into the wire insulation.

/ conduit recommendation
I like sealtite unless there is some heat or crush problems.

Yunno some sealtite has metal flex inside (tougher), and some is just the PVC outside (cheaper). If you use the metal-lined I would make sure you have some sort of bushing, (or tape wrap) .. . . or even the correct end-fitting (omg) to make sure the vibration does not cause the metal to wear into the wire insulation.
Thanks Phil. I will check into that!

/ conduit recommendation
1/2 PEX tubing. If you heat it slightly, you can form it.
Thanks Cat. I hadn't thought of that. I've got some out in the shop. I will take a look and see if I can make that work. I also have some 1/2" pvc conduit as well. I might try to heat bend that first since the gray color may match the paint a little better, although I know pex has more natural flexibility.

/ conduit recommendation #6  
I’ve used pex tube for vehicle conduit before. So far so good.

/ conduit recommendation #7  
I've read that PEX is not supposed to be exposed to the UV in sunlight for very long. Anyone have experiences with PEX exposed outdoors?

/ conduit recommendation #8  
Possibly some 5/16 or 3/8 fuel hose ? Some newer versions for fuel injected engines are quite stout but of course very flexible. Cable ties (good ones) or clamps to attach. Would take years to degrade enough to require replacement.

/ conduit recommendation #9  
I've read that PEX is not supposed to be exposed to the UV in sunlight for very long. Anyone have experiences with PEX exposed outdoors?
Pex is terrible outside. Gets really brittle. PVC electrical conduit is much better and you can bend it with heat, as well.

/ conduit recommendation #10