confused about log splitters

/ confused about log splitters #1  

Deepdrop

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 (2021)
I have a 2020 CX2510 and have been cutting down some trees and I'm thinking that a log splitter would be great to have. I initially thought it would be a no-brainer that I could buy one to use on my tractor. I've been reading for the last few hours and am utterly confused.
I don't split a lot of wood. I'm not in a hurry. Some of the trees are large diameter, maybe 20 inches.
I would really prefer to not buy a standalone splitter with its own engine, just because I really don't want another engine to maintain (unless there are just really really good arguments for going this route).

I do not understand the pros and cons of a 3 point vs. a PTO driven splitter.

I have a 3rd function valve that I use to run my grapple. I don't know if that would make a difference. I'm very new to tractors. This is my first one and I'm learning as I go, so please forgive my ignorance on this. I tried searching the forum but didn't find anything that seemed helpful.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can explain pros/cons of the options. Thanks very much.

/ confused about log splitters #2  
I found a home-made 3pt splitter last year, for just 200 bucks, so I bought it quick. It runs off my rear remotes. It works well enough, but I think I'd prefer a standalone splitter. Here's my reasons:

1 - Using the rear remotes, the cylinder travel is a bit slow. Even at 2500rpm, I wish it was a little quicker.
2 - It adds a lot of hours to the tractor. I'd rather put hours on a cheaper standalone machine than on my expensive tractor engine.
3 - Because it's on the rear of the tractor, I can't use the loader to help move the wood around before and after splitting it (not as easily anyway)

I have no experience using a PTO driven splitter. I would suspect your 3rd function does not have enough flow to run a splitter with good results. It's going to be very slow.

/ confused about log splitters #3  
do you have rear remotes on your tractor. i dont think 3rd functions have a detent lock in them. you have to have a rear remote to operate the log splitter. on my kioti i have 2 rear remotes. one had a detent (lock) and the other does not. i use the non locking one for implements such as a snow plow that you want to move just a certain angle then stop. i use the detent remote for devices that need to constantly run like the log splitter.

personally i could care what hours are added to my DK45 cause thats what tractors are designed for...long run times. I have lots of smaller engines and they dont need much maintenance as i only use non ethanol fuel. but i want my splitter with me as i split wood out on the acreage. 3 point is easiest for me. i made my own maybe 15 years ago. as is stated, not fast but fast enough. and i still have all my fingers. _MG_4733.jpg _MG_4724.jpg splitter 6.jpg

Last edited:
   / confused about log splitters #4  
Not sure if this has changed much in the last 10 years or so -but back when I looked and wanted a 3 point splitter the cost was much higher to buy the tractor version versus the same splitting force stand alone unit.

In the end bought a 25 ton stand alone for just under a grand.

Having the tractor bucket/grapple available to move large rounds to the splitter ended up saving a whole lot of stress on the old back.

More TBN splitter reading

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...om/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/66248-

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/353413-3-pt-log-splitter.html

Last edited:
   / confused about log splitters #5  
I bought a separate splitter, not enough flow was not the reason.
I like to leave the splitter in one place, move wood from a number of piles to it and then tractor the split wood to my racks and pallets.
I have 2 locations where I split wood as I have places to dump off any bark or scraps. I may need to get the splitter into the woods for some trees, but that does not happen often, only have 6 acres.
I have a backhoe on the tractor and don't use implements, so swapping time is saved too. Get about 10 second cycle times with the stand alone. Check fluid levels, change oil here and there, not too bad.

/ confused about log splitters #6  
. . . I'm not in a hurry. Some of the trees are large diameter, maybe 20 inches. . .I do not understand the pros and cons of a 3 point vs. a PTO driven splitter. . .

I suppose there are PTO driven splitters that are towed. If the splitter mounts to the 3 point be sure it can lower so the beam rests on the ground. That way you can roll those 20" logs onto the beam instead of lifting them. Also check that the beam can be raised to a comfortable height; my neighbor loaned me his tractor with 3 point splitter that did not raise very high--backbreaking work with the smaller logs. Regardless of whether the hydraulic flow comes from the tractor or a PTO driven pump, you want an operation lever close to the ram.

I now have a splitter with a Briggs and Straton electric motor (Log Zappa apparently from Frank's commune days). Compared with other splitters I have used, it is S-L-O-W, but now in my eighth decade, that suits me fine. The greatest expense was 100+ feet of 10-3 SO cable to make an extension cord that would reach the woodpile. The greatest hassle was finding new brushes.

/ confused about log splitters #7  
The farm has a tractor mounted vertical splitter from when they used an outside boiler.
We could split a lot of wood in a very few hours with it,
but we ran it off a Ford 8000 fast hydraulics,
on smaller stuff I'd put a large block under it to reduce the bending,
a larger loader tractor carrying a bucket of rounds to the splitter and holding at waist height,
grab a round split it and toss it, when the tossed pile got good sized shove in with the loader scoop
it up and go dump in the wood shed pile.
But we were using multiple tractors and large loader buckets 96 to 120 inches wide.

/ confused about log splitters #8  
do you have rear remotes on your tractor. i dont think 3rd functions have a detent lock in them. you have to have a rear remote to operate the log splitter. on my kioti i have 2 rear remotes. one had a detent (lock) and the other does not. i use the non locking one for implements such as a snow plow that you want to move just a certain angle then stop. i use the detent remote for devices that need to constantly run like the log splitter.

personally i could care what hours are added to my DK45 cause thats what tractors are designed for...long run times. I have lots of smaller engines and they dont need much maintenance as i only use non ethanol fuel. but i want my splitter with me as i split wood out on the acreage. 3 point is easiest for me. i made my own maybe 15 years ago. as is stated, not fast but fast enough. and i still have all my fingers.View attachment 668431 View attachment 668432 View attachment 668433

Mine looks very similar to yours, except mine doesn't have the valve/handle on the splitter. Just the 2 hoses coming off the cylinder. So for mine, I use the spring remote, not the detent one. I fabricated a handle that slips over the lever, and comes out the rear of the tractor, for splitter operation. Pull to split, push to retract.

/ confused about log splitters #9  
An oil change on a small engine takes me 15-20 minutes. How long does it take for you to switch out 3PH attachments.

I change the oil every 50 hours. How many times will you need to mount the 3PH splitter to split for 50 hours.

The stand alone comes with wheels and is easily moved in your garage/barn. Will you need to move the 3PH splitter when it is off the tractor? You may need to make a dolly for it.

IMHO is is nice to have the tractor freed up to help with the splitting process. But a lot depends on your process and set up.

/ confused about log splitters
Thank you all for the info. I've never used my 3 point hitch so I don't have a sense of how long it takes to hook something up. You guys raised a couple of points I hadn't thought of. It is an advantage to have the use of my loader to move piles of wood around instead of being tied to the splitter. I was surprised that standalone units are actually much cheaper, from what I can tell. I don't have rear hydraulics, so I would need to add that expense as well.
Out of curiosity, if the engine fails on a standalone, would I be able to find a way to run it off the tractor hydraulics? Someone mentioned they did that in one of the discussions I read.
Anyway, although I started out against the idea of a standalone, now I'm leaning towards it. From what I've read, the best prices come around on Black Friday, or else early spring. So I'll see what happens on Black Friday this year. It'll give my wood some time to age.