confused about log splitters

/ confused about log splitters #31  
I DO have several brands, but I only use them one at a time! lol

Stage your wood to split, on a wagon or trailer and save your back, work smarter not harder!

SR

I agree SR!!!

Here is the smart way we process wood:

Firewood processing.jpg

Took 12 cords of logs and turned them into firewood in 15 hours. Just the two of us.... 69 YO man and a little 56 YO lady. And we had never used a processor before so we will be faster next time. Cost of $450 for processor rental and 10 gallons of diesel. No chains to sharpen, no saw to maintain, no splitter, no trailer or wagon needed.

Not for everyone but a viable option when you can buy logs at a reasonable price. Those 12 cords of maple cost $600 delivered.

/ confused about log splitters #32  
Actually the smartest way is to shut down the place during winter and head for hawaii. :dance1::cool2:

/ confused about log splitters #33  
Actually the smartest way is to shut down the place during winter and head for hawaii. :dance1::cool2:

Bad idea. Stranded on an island in the middle of the Pacific during this Covid crap is not where I want to be. I hear they are shutting things down there again.

/ confused about log splitters #34  
In my opinion, Honda makes the very best small engines. Every other small engine is compared to Honda. I've learned that if I want it to start year after year, get a Honda engine.

I only split 2 chords a year and never come close to burning that much wood in Winter.

I mostly use my tractor for bush hogging, so it's a pain to remove the bush hog to use it for anything else.

I have a backhoe with a grapple on the front and that's been great for firewood. I can cut off a limb and carry it to the house, where I cut it into rounds. Then I just pull the splitter out by hand and split wood right next to where it's stacked. This has proven to be the most efficient way for me to get firewood.

I've hauled the splitter to a down tree with the Mule, and tossed the split wood into the Mule, but then I have to unload it and stack it, which means handling it again.

Since I work during the week, I might not use the splitter all week. Or I might use it for an hour before dark. Having the logs, and rounds next to the house gives me plenty to do without having to spend any time loading up, or hauling anything to the wood. Just pick up a round, and start splitting. Usually I do a full gas tank worth of splitting. I like to leave it sit with an empty tank. Three gas tanks worth of splitting is my personal record, and that's a lot of wood!!!!

I bought mine from Lowes about 10 years ago and the last time I looked they didn't carry that brand anymore. It's all Craftsman junk that I have learned to avoid due to disappointment from poor quality materials and design.