Confused: CVT vs. Hydro??

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #21  
I was interested in the CVT right up to the point of learning you cannot instantly reverse the CVT, it is more like a shuttle, not like the HST that can instantly change direction. Instant directional changes is one of the things I love about the Hydro. As for the 2 dBa weighted noise reduction, well 3dba is the minimum discernable level that most people can detect. So 2dba would be undetectable by most people. I suspect the CVT is probably quieter by more than 2 dba or else you CVT owners would not be commenting about the lower noise level. So the CVT is more effecient by 3 to 7 %, Wow. on my tractor that is what 2 to 3 horsepower? I don't think I would notice. As for durability, well we will see, hydro's have been around for a long time, and are very reliable, Maybe CVT's are too, I hope so. They seems to be the preffered choice in large modern field tractors. But right now, in a CUT no thank you, I am sticking to my hydro. Thats my story, and I am sticking to it:)

James K0UA

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #22  
You may not notice a difference, but comming from someone that has put over 4000 hrs. on hydro units, the change to the CVT was a no brainer. I could tell in the first 15 minutes it was a huge inprovement.

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #23  
Are the drive belts (chains) in automotive CVT's under compression or tension?
For example snowmobile belts are under tension (stretching, pulling) where the automotive type CVT that I'm aware of are under compression meaning that the belt is pushed not pulled.

Tim

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #24  
I was interested in the CVT right up to the point of learning you cannot instantly reverse the CVT, it is more like a shuttle, not like the HST that can instantly change direction. Instant directional changes is one of the things I love about the Hydro. As for the 2 dBa weighted noise reduction, well 3dba is the minimum discernable level that most people can detect. So 2dba would be undetectable by most people. I suspect the CVT is probably quieter by more than 2 dba or else you CVT owners would not be commenting about the lower noise level. So the CVT is more effecient by 3 to 7 %, Wow. on my tractor that is what 2 to 3 horsepower? I don't think I would notice. As for durability, well we will see, hydro's have been around for a long time, and are very reliable, Maybe CVT's are too, I hope so. They seems to be the preffered choice in large modern field tractors. But right now, in a CUT no thank you, I am sticking to my hydro. Thats my story, and I am sticking to it:)

James K0UA

to shuttle forward to reverse on the CVT is only maybe half a second to change directions if even that long. just fyi

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #25  
Not sure if I missed something, although I've read over all the posts here, but how did this come up? Are we strictly looking at the NH CVT? Or is the new EZ shift tranny a CVT as well and I didn't notice or something? I'm still not really sure what an EZ shift is or does... I had been told that it is an electric shifter that sits over a manual tranny but I wouldn't be surprised if I heard wrong.

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #26  
You may not notice a difference, but comming from someone that has put over 4000 hrs. on hydro units, the change to the CVT was a no brainer. I could tell in the first 15 minutes it was a huge inprovement.

Farmall40,

Does the CNH CVT have a single pedal, or twin pedals like the hydro? I'm a fan of the twin pedals (like on our Farmall DX35 or the Deere compacts) over the single "treadle" pedal design like Kubota and some of the mid-sized Shibaura Boomers/Farmalls used in years past. Just trying to learn here.

Thanks,
Matthew

/ Confused: CVT vs. Hydro?? #27  
It has a single pedal. But it is not a treadle. You change direction via the shuttle lever on the column. Based on settings, you can adjust how quickly it responds The cvt pedal adjusts ground speed and throttle