Considering Kubota

/ Considering Kubota #1  

F3506

Silver Member
Tractor
Blue ones
Got a few questions for those who have them. I'm looking at some of the 8540/9000/9540 tractors. They seem pretty light compared to the open station tractors I'm used to, but I think it's time to upgrade to a cab tractor.

Any issues pulling a baler or cutter for hay with these? How much weight can a tractor this size lift with a front end loader and no rear ballast? What are the problems to look for when buying used? What are the weak points? And most importantly, what's the big secret with Kubota and their transmissions? There doesn't seem to be much on the internet I can find that show ground speed for each gear. Anyone have a good source for this info?

/ Considering Kubota #2  
I can answer some of your questions here is the ground speed chart in attached photo.

yes they are definitely lighter than most others. I wouldn't want one without fluid filled tires or atleast rear wheel weights. The owners manual suggest loading tires for loader applications. I can easily lift 2500 lb pallets without 3pt ballast. Ive lifted a couple of 3000 lb 48" deep pallets with only about 600 lbs on the rear my wood box partially filled that was questionable. I dont hay TripleR might not sure about Ovrszd both are on here often. I do know people run round ballers on these but dont have any personal experience.

ForumRunner_20140603_222718.jpg

/ Considering Kubota #4  
I do run a 7ft BH27 bush hog that weighs about 1400 lbs with chains no loader or front weights and is 10 ft 8" long no problems. Wouldn't mind some front weight though definitely turns better with the loader on especially up hill climbs

ForumRunner_20140603_224219.jpg

/ Considering Kubota #5  
I don't do any haying with our M8540HDC, bigbull338 and foreman Etexas might with their M7040s. Yes, they are light, but I've found it easier to add weight than reduce it. We have our rear tires filled and still use 3PH ballast for best FEL performance in our hills. If we had time to wait, we would have gotten cast centers like we have on our Massey Ferguson.

I have loaded tires and wheel weights on my L5740, on some of our tractors we don't have filled tires or added weights as we want minimal soil disturbance.

The 12/12 works well for us, but if I was farming, I would probably go with the M9540 or M9960 with more ranges.

/ Considering Kubota
Thanks for the speed chart. As for filling the tires, what does that do to the ride quality? I've got a 65 pto horse Long tractor that I use as a loader to move hay that has filled tires. Can't really go over 5mph with that due to the way it rides.

Not that it matters too much. If I can lift 2000 lbs or so without rear ballast, that will do for most stuff. I can always throw a round bale on the back for ballast if I have something heavier to move. Don't have any hills here so I'm looking at a 2wd model.

/ Considering Kubota #7  
Our M8540 ride quality is the equal to our Case CX80, but it also had loaded tires. We do have a Case 995 without filled tires and the ride is good, never have put fluid in so don't know the difference. We have run our MF 375 with and without fluid and couldn't really tell any difference in ride quality.

I recently put an air ride seat in my 5740 and like it so much bought one for the M8540. It makes for smoother ride and is easier to adjust as both my sons and I like different settings, twisting a knob gets old.

/ Considering Kubota
Our M8540 ride quality is the equal to our Case CX80, but it also had loaded tires. We do have a Case 995 without filled tires and the ride is good, never have put fluid in so don't know the difference. We have run our MF 375 with and without fluid and couldn't really tell any difference in ride quality.

I recently put an air ride seat in my 5740 and like it so much bought one for the M8540. It makes for smoother ride and is easier to adjust as both my sons and I like different settings, twisting a knob gets old.

How much did the air ride seat cost if you don't mind me asking. The air ride isn't too bouncy? The only air ride seat I've driven on was in an old Lindale 8000 that would bounce you against the roof sometimes.

/ Considering Kubota #9  
Thanks for the speed chart. As for filling the tires, what does that do to the ride quality? I've got a 65 pto horse Long tractor that I use as a loader to move hay that has filled tires. Can't really go over 5mph with that due to the way it rides.

Not that it matters too much. If I can lift 2000 lbs or so without rear ballast, that will do for most stuff. I can always throw a round bale on the back for ballast if I have something heavier to move. Don't have any hills here so I'm looking at a 2wd model.

Your welcome 2000 lbs would certainly require either tire ballast or 3 pt ballast especially if 2wd. I can get by in 2wd and no 3pt ballast somewhere around 2000 lbs but I have loaded tires. With the 1300lb box scrapper and 1800 - 1900 lbs of tire ballast I rarely need 4wd unless im backing up a hill.

The small bolder pictured below was is north of 3500 lbs probably over 4000 I did need 4wd to back the hill for positioning I could only lift it about 42" but I had the loader set in the height position
ForumRunner_20140604_212351.jpg

I needed 4wd to pull this one out of the hole. But beyond that it was fine. I tried to maintain 2wd as much as possible to minimize damage to his lawn

ForumRunner_20140604_213913.jpg

Finished job

ForumRunner_20140604_212558.jpg

I understand the desire for 2wd due to cost but I would definitely go for 4wd with a loader as capable as the LA1353.

As far a ride I don't know any difference. My buddies JD 2040 and his massey 5455 are both filled as well but I can mow a descent field at 5.5 - 6.0 mph no problem un High. high 2 is over 8mph way to fast to brush hog for me.

/ Considering Kubota
Actually I'm looking at 2wd for the tighter turning radius, less maintenance, and less tearing up of the ground. 95% of my loader work is just moving hay bales. I've run 2wd tractors for decades. I don't really see the need to get a 4x4 for what I do on the land I have.

I guess I could always try filling the tires and if I didn't like it, drain them and switch to wheel weights.