Container Weld Shop build -

/ Container Weld Shop build -
Well, about 40 posts ago I mentioned getting some self-stick rubber matting from HF to put under the gas bottle on the weld cart - changed my mind (again??!?) and decided to mat the WHOLE FLOOR of the cart for now - if'when I add a deep drawer it won't slide on the bottom ANYWAY, so may as well...

That little glob of white in the pics is a small heater - there were just enough complaints about those 1'x1' rubber tiles not sticking to make me think that those people tried to put 'em on COLD - so I put that little heater on one side, blowing UNDER the floor, let things warm up (from about 42 up to 80+) and left all 4 tiles sitting on the cart floor so they'd soften up - then trimmed with tin snips (paper backing still in place) til each tile fit around stuff, then placed 'em one at a time, weighted each one down with some scrap steel, took about 1-1/2 hours for all the cut/fit/swear action :laughing:

That piece of 1/8"x1" aluminum angle will get cut to fit all the bigger openings first and used as a hold-down - I'll probably clamp each piece in place (vertically) and just use self-drilling screws (horizontally) to act as a hold-down AND a "scuff plate" -

It's still early, might get some of the angle cut before supper... Steve

DSCN3111.JPGDSCN3112.JPGDSCN3113.JPG

Must be almost supper time :D it's 'sposed to be about 22* tomorrow morning, not ideal workin' weather fer wussy ol' farts, so getting those pieces screwed on might not happen til afternoon :rolleyes:

Guess I shoulda bought a 5 foot piece of that aluminum angle, except HD only sells 2',3' and 4' pieces. Still tryin' to decide if I even CARE about those 2 small sections... Steve

DSCN3114.JPGDSCN3115.JPG

/ Container Weld Shop build - #193  
" it's 'sposed to be about 22* tomorrow morning, not ideal workin' weather fer wussy ol' farts, so getting those pieces screwed on might not happen til afternoon"

This morning at 18* I went to work and seen some guy walk in the yard with just a T shirt on and a heavy shirt thrown over his shoulder, I was triple layered and then some. That black matting really looks nice, good choice laying it over the whole bottom floor.

Thanks, I'm likin' it that way too -

Didn't get ANYTHING screwed down today, decided that if I'm EVER gonna get a place to work on stuff I need to just bite the bullet and DO it; so I called my "container guy", he's got a line on some 40' hi-cube containers that're still fully seaworthy, nice doors/seals, etc, for $3k each - he's gonna check 'em out tomorrow, and put a hold on 2 for me.

Then I called my "rock guy" (gal, actually, real nice lady) and I'll get 2 loads of 1-1/2- rock on Monday morning, get just enough of that spread so the truck won't get stuck, and those cans'll get set next to my fence temporarily (til dry ground happens about June) -

Plan is to set those on the flat ground just south of the existing pair of 40's (one being the weld shop) - new ones will go parallel to each other, 40' apart - then when I can afford it I'll pour a 40x40 slab between 'em and put a 14' eave roof/walls/doors in, that'll give me a place tall and wide (and smooth) enough to play with the dump truck, 50' manlift, hoe, tractors, etc... might even get 'em where they're USABLE instead of just more "projects"...

'sposed to be rainy but warmer manana, sounds like a good day for "screwin' ON" instead of "OFF" :D

I probly got the only wife in the state that'll say "goody" if I tell her those containers are her valentines day present :thumbsup: ...Steve

Fairly productive day today, weld cart is pretty much as done as it's gonna get for a while -

Got the aluminum angle screwed down, should keep the mat from curling around the edges -

DSCN3116.JPGDSCN3117.JPGDSCN3118.JPG

Next, left and right rear view, left and right front view - Notice the "lift cage" also doubles as a "roll bar" to protect the gauges...

DSCN3119.JPGDSCN3120.JPGDSCN3121.JPGDSCN3122.JPG

Couple closeups of holddown angle...

DSCN3123.JPGDSCN3125.JPG

MM211's ready to go, fresh 12-1/2# spool of .035 L56, tension set, new tip, etc - next I need to get the I beam "upgrade" for the HF crane de-rusto'd enough for primer and paint so I can get THAT assembled and out of my way - not sure how far I'll get on THAT before the 20 yards of rock shows up Monday morning.

I'll spread just enough of the rock to keep the container truck out of trouble - Hopefully the next 2 containers will be here soon after that, but they'll sit off to the side til about may or june (dry weather so I don't end up with my container guy's rollback mired in the back yard :eek: )

Supper's here; later... Steve

/ Container Weld Shop build - #196  
Wow... looking good. Too fancy. See you have the new 211. How are you liking it? I have the 211 transformer. My stand is a modified HF cart to also hold my plasma cutter. A bit top heavy. Might need to go 'balls out' on a stand like you did. :thumbsup:

Thanks; yeah, probably a teensy bit over the top :laughing: - but every "feature" has a purpose (for ME, anyway) - I needed max portability in a reasonably small footprint, since at times I'll be either trying to lift the whole thing onto a trailer or truck bed, towing it around the property with a tractor or lawn mower, tilting it back onto the big tires for moving over gravel (relatively short distances)... I'm not sure how well it'd work with the older MM211 - I had one, and it's almost TWICE as heavy WITHOUT a spool of wire as the NEW one is, WITH a 12# spool...

Only thing I DON'T like (about EITHER version) is that autoset is too hot (a common complaint) - I just recently learned that (reportedly) the autoset "assumes" you'll be doing FILLET welds, which would explain the "too hot"...

The newer one lets me use a 15' gun - has the down-firing feed and a stronger drive; autoset has a LOT more options including all THREE wire sizes, + flux core, stainless, mild with C25, mild with CO2, and spool gun/aluminum. IOW, nearly everything I DIDN'T like about the OLD mm211, got fixed on the NEW digital one -

They both spec the same (24.5 amp/240 volt) draw at rated output, BUT - the transformer version is NOT recommended for 50 hZ, while the digital version is rated at 50-60 hZ - and I spoke to a Miller tech about generator THD, he claimed the digital version "didn't care" - I hope he's right, 'cause ONE of the "eventual" projects is over 3000 feet of new fencing with welded-in-place H braces every 20-rod roll (330 feet) and my genny is 7kw continuous but NO spec on THD - that project will probably be the ONLY time it sees flux core wire (if I LIVE that long :rolleyes:) but it's possible it'll hafta run on the genny for other indoor projects (my son's garage doesn't even HAVE a 240 outlet so if he ever needs something welded I would probably put both the welder AND the genny on my small trailer to do that)...

"Might need to go 'balls out' on a stand like you did." - Well, ya got a LOT of pics and "features" to pick and choose from - but given the weight of the transformer 211, I think I'd be tempted to do a lower slung, "over-under" setup - the 211 low, but angled up like I did - then the PM45+ above that on a second set of angle "rails" -

Things I watched VERY carefully for, was ZERO interference with side door WITHOUT having to take the welder off the cart, zero interference with air flow, gas connection, power cord, etc - and no metal-to-metal connection between welder and support angles (found some EPDM self-stick weatherstrip at Lowes, goes on BOTH surfaces of ALL the angles) - NO reason ELECTRICALLY, just didn't want scratched up paint on either Miller's creation or MINE :D

IF you do one, you probably DON't need EVERYTHING I did - like a trailer hitch, maybe not even an adjustable balance picking eye - but the larger wheels and "hand-truckability" is nice, in that it also provides a "roll cage" to protect gauges AND a way to support a dust cover - also, the locking casters are something Miller shoulda thought of on their carts...

Man, now I'm startin' to sound like a freakin' SALESMAN, and there's NO WAY I wanna build MORE of these :eek::laughing: ... Steve

Dang it Mark, now I'm REALLY gonna hafta HURT ya :D

Your comment on the plasma cranked up my twisted brain (like it NEEDS any help wid dat :rolleyes:)

So I went out and measured my PM45 vs. the "dead air space" ABOVE the MM211 - it's do-able, but do I WANNA "do-able" it??!? NFW, but Hmmmmmm.... - Pm45 is NARROW enough it'd fit above the welder WITHOUT interfering with either bottle in/out OR fully opening the mm211's side door; it's "un-tall" enough to NOT stick above the "roll cage", SHORT enough front-to-back to NOT hit the rear vertical OR stick out past the front handle on the MM211 - AND, there's room on the other side for another lead hanger.....

Just WALK AWAY Steve, go look at the purty I beam that actually NEEDS your attention - big heavy grinders and wire cup brushes can be FUN; FUN, I tell ya :confused:

It's working; MAYBE... Steve

/ Container Weld Shop build - #199  
Didn't get ANYTHING screwed down today, decided that if I'm EVER gonna get a place to work on stuff I need to just bite the bullet and DO it; so I called my "container guy", he's got a line on some 40' hi-cube containers that're still fully seaworthy, nice doors/seals, etc, for $3k each - he's gonna check 'em out tomorrow, and put a hold on 2 for me.

I probly got the only wife in the state that'll say "goody" if I tell her those containers are her valentines day present :thumbsup: ...Steve

I'm getting the idea that you live in Container City, after the containers are in place we need you to get your drone out with your go-pro camera and get some areall pictures. And to think all I got my wife for valentine's day was some bite size Reese's Peanut butter cups, but they was in a heart shape container.

I give your weld cart Two Thumbs up and I do think you will want a roll out draw above the weld helmet sometime.

No drone or gopro (yet) - with the "neighbors" I got on ONE side, I'd be too tempted to include a 7.62 option :mad: -

Heart-shaped boxes are better than heart-shaped candy; the box is still there as a reminder after the candy's long gone - brownie points last longer that way :D - my wife knows the containers will eventually get my stuff out of HER vision (AND more secure from the sub-trailer trash next door...)

Thanks for the :thumbsup::thumbsup: Yup, still gonna do a drawer, probly two - big one on bottom for hood/gloves/leathers, smaller one (with a removable divider) for tips, couple pliers, bottle wrench...

If I decide the container's the best place for the plasma, I'll probly do a clamp-on type shelf (above the MIG) with tiedowns - hate to start over on the paint job :rolleyes:

Also, that'd keep the clutter down, gonna be kind of snug in there anyway... Steve