Controlling implement working depth

/ Controlling implement working depth #1  

ukrkoz

Silver Member
Tractor
Pioneer 1000 EPS
I have 3015 series Branson and, am pretty sure, implement 3 point height control in the rear is about the same across most tractors. Lever control, up/down.
So here's my question.
I have Fred Kain ripper/scarifier and am trying to figure out, how to, possibly control how deep it goes in with shanks, with implement up/down tractor control. Is it possible somehow? I don't want shanks to go full depth in, I want them to go in maybe half the working depth of the shank arm.

/ Controlling implement working depth #2  
If I understand your question you can control the depth with the lever. You may want a stop if you do not have one. If it is open station, Branson has one you can purchase. If it is cab version you may have to make something like I did.

78C264D0-AD08-48B1-93E6-9104E5B0C854.jpeg

/ Controlling implement working depth #3  
If you are on even/level ground set your lever so the scarifier can only drop to the depth you want. Using a stop as above allows you to repeat the setting easily. As you run along the scarifier will raise above your set level when you come to harder ground. If you make an additional pass(es) over the same ground eventually you will have even depth every where as the harder ground gets worked deeper.

You can vary how aggressive it digs to some degree by lengthening or shortening the top link.

If you are on ground that has mounds and dips you will have to go slow enough that you can continually adjust the scarifier height with the lever as the tractor rises and dips.

gg

Last edited:
   / Controlling implement working depth #4  
Practice, practice, and more practice will get you to the point that you can control how deep it cuts. Yes, just setting the 'position' with the lever will work if the area is relatively flat. As others said, any dips or bumps will change the 'position'. Multiple passes at shallow depth will usually flatten out.

Hope you are able to get it to work without too much trouble.

/ Controlling implement working depth
Ok, so if I understood you right, lever can, actually, control the depth. That. pretty much, was my question.
Thing about ripper is, because of the C-shaped shanks, it needs to be dropped all the way down to the ground and THEN shanks go full depth in, as they are angled at about 45 degrees into the ground.
Yes, I'll play with it, practice indeed. I am thinking of dropping it down, letting shanks full depth in moving VERY slowly and then, moving lever to pull shanks UP some.
If I do not allow shanks to drop all the way down to the ground initially, they won't go deep in.
The other option is gauge wheel, of course, but that's more expense and rigging. If I can do it with just lever, I'm happy.
BTW, rips real well.

/ Controlling implement working depth #6  
Like a moldboard plow, the penetration of an All Purpose Plow is half controlled by the "angle of attack" of the tine points.

The "angle of attack" is changed by screwing the Top Link in or out. Shortening the Top Link will increase "suck"/depth of your APP/Ripper.

Last edited:
   / Controlling implement working depth #7  
Ok, so if I understood you right, lever can, actually, control the depth. That. pretty much, was my question.
Thing about ripper is, because of the C-shaped shanks, it needs to be dropped all the way down to the ground and THEN shanks go full depth in, as they are angled at about 45 degrees into the ground.
Yes, I'll play with it, practice indeed. I am thinking of dropping it down, letting shanks full depth in moving VERY slowly and then, moving lever to pull shanks UP some.
If I do not allow shanks to drop all the way down to the ground initially, they won't go deep in.
The other option is gauge wheel, of course, but that's more expense and rigging. If I can do it with just lever, I'm happy.
BTW, rips real well.
as mentioned above adjust the angle of attack on the 3pt if you have rear remotes you can get a hydraulic top link and adjust on the fly.

/ Controlling implement working depth #8  
My Branson didn’t have a depth stop so I simply whipped one up so I can adjust the level. IMO it should be a standard feature. I just set the depth and just go. Not sure if it helps ya.

IMG_6024.jpg

/ Controlling implement working depth #9  
Sounds like you need something like guage wheels to limit the depth of penetration. You will want these to be adjustable for different soil conditions etc.

/ Controlling implement working depth #10  
Check operators manual to see if 3 point has "draft control". All ag tractors I've operated have it.