Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #441  
Antelope (known around here as Nevada Speed Goats) grazing the winter alfalfa fields in the Kings River Valley of Nevada at sunset yesterday afternoon:

P1003128epr.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #442  
Xfax: hard to say if that's critter damage or lightning, but that tree is sure hanging on. on another thread i was reading that if you cut up a tree to use for firewood that has been hit by lightening that it will shoot off sparks when it burns.

Over: cool critters you have entertaining you each day!!

ALL: just came back from a few days at the ocean and even though it was foggy and rained almost all the time it still is fun to watch the waves. only saw one seal, but having the tide come up within 10 feet of the condo we stayed in was nice. The guy working there checking guests in has a talent with a rake and at low tide spent a few minutes making a flower in the sand.

foggy morning lincoln beach Feb. 2020.jpg

Sunshine when we arrived Feb 3rd, 2020 1.jpg

bellman made a flower in sand with a rake 1.jpg

bellman made a flower in sand with a rake.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #444  
Antelope (known around here as Nevada Speed Goats) grazing the winter alfalfa fields in the Kings River Valley of Nevada at sunset yesterday afternoon:

Awesome pic!!!!

/ Cool Nature Photos #445  
Blurry and not pretty photos, but my dog Paddy, his friend Jack, and I had an interesting time on our daily walk today. It is on a snowshoe trail we use most days. It was frozen today so I fortunately did not have my snowshoes on.

This first photo is of Jack antagonising a moose he and Paddy got out of bed just over the rise behind the moose. They barked for a while and the moose decided to settle it. Paddy (the smartest of the three of us) is back with me with Jack bothering the moose.

20200211_094747.jpg

Next photo the moose has advanced and has its ears pinned. I have moved a bit closer and to the left to get behind a big tree. Jack is also starting to realise this isn't going how he planned:
20200211_094824.jpg

Jack is heading for home with Moose in pursuit. I'm behind the tree:
20200211_094907.jpg

This is looking the opposite direction after they both ran past me. Paddy is long gone and Jack has gone down a gully to the left of the moose. I'm back on the path yelling at Moose, and disconcerted because (s)he looks very put-out, with ears flat and hair on the neck and shoulders up. Finally Moose went straight ahead, through a small creek gully and up the opposite side.
20200211_095003.jpg

I called the dogs. Jack came back right away but it took Paddy quite a while, he had travelled quite bit further. We continued our walk and came back the same trail 45 minutes later. Moose was still somewhere up the other bank because the dogs started barking and heading up. They stopped as soon as I called.

/ Cool Nature Photos #446  
Can't blame the Moose for that encounter.

/ Cool Nature Photos #447  
Upside down horses. Looking across our pond back on 9-1-2004:

P9010870.JPG
P9010876.JPG

/ Cool Nature Photos #448  
XFAXMAN - your damaged tree - post 431. I still have two standing Ponderosa pines that were hit by lightning. Not as much damage but not the same type tree either. Mine show a three inch wide scar spiraling around the tree from very near the top to the ground. I expect they will eventually die from this and have to be cut down. I had two others that were hit and died about eighteen years ago.

/ Cool Nature Photos #449  
Great story, kco! Dogs are the ultimate poker faces, until things get serious!

/ Cool Nature Photos #450  
XFAXMAN - your damaged tree - post 431. I still have two standing Ponderosa pines that were hit by lightning. Not as much damage but not the same type tree either. Mine show a three inch wide scar spiraling around the tree from very near the top to the ground. I expect they will eventually die from this and have to be cut down. I had two others that were hit and died about eighteen years ago.

I had an 80 foot Cottonwood that was struck; it was forked, and it had one continuous scar down one side, covering about half of that branch. Eventually had to have it taken down, it was between my house and my neighbor's, and was a threat to both our houses.