Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #81  
While out for a walk yesterday, I happened across a deflated helium balloon. Not terribly unusual, but it is the twelfth I have found on my 100 aces in the last 30 years. One of the first I found bore a promotional message from a radio station in Toledo, Ohio, 300 miles southwest of here!

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #82  
My grandfather owned some land, and we kept it in the family for a couple more generations. The last time I visited, the structures on the property were either collapsed or in advanced decay. I stumbled onto an outhouse in the woods that I somehow never noticed before. The property had indoor plumbing for all of my life. The strange thing is that the outhouse was in remarkably good condition. Add a fresh roll of toilet paper, and it would be usable!
P1010105.JPG

P1010106.JPG

For comparison, here are the remnants of an old storage shed.
P1010103.JPG

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #83  
My Grandfather had an outhouse similar to that; it had a plaque that read "WPA 1938". Great craftsmanship.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #84  
My Grandfather had an outhouse similar to that; it had a plaque that read "WPA 1938". Great craftsmanship.

Yes. I'm pretty sure this one didn't have a plaque, but I suspect it was from a similar time.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #85  
My grandfather owned some land, and we kept it in the family for a couple more generations. The last time I visited, the structures on the property were either collapsed or in advanced decay. I stumbled onto an outhouse in the woods that I somehow never noticed before. The property had indoor plumbing for all of my life. The strange thing is that the outhouse was in remarkably good condition. Add a fresh roll of toilet paper, and it would be usable!
View attachment 738963
View attachment 738964

For comparison, here are the remnants of an old storage shed.
View attachment 738965
When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm, they had a two seater outhouse. I was in their one day and my Aunt Lilly came in and sat down next to me. I was mortified. lol

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #86  
When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm, they had a two seater outhouse. I was in their one day and my Aunt Lilly came in and sat down next to me. I was mortified. lol

Ha! Yeah, that wouldn't sit well with me, either.

Our house had an outhouse when I was a young kid, but we had a regular toilet before I was old enough to use it.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #87  
My brother and I were on vacation in West Virginia a few years back. We heard a story about the abandoned Brandy Gap railroad tunnel in the area that was supposed to be haunted. The legend is fueled in part by the fact that the tunnel is bored through the mountain directly under an old cemetery. You can read the story here:

Now neither one of us believes in ghosts but just for a lark, we decided to check it out. We rode our bicycles on an old trail through the woods that led up to the tunnel:

P1030446b.jpg
P1030441a.jpg

P1030436b.jpg
P1030445b.jpg

We started walking through and about halfway in, we both began coughing and gasping for air! It scared the heck out of us and we got out of there in a hurry!

My brother is convinced it was some paranormal phenomenon but I suspect it was just dead air that was low on oxygen.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #88  
Here in NE WA we have a cross state hiking/biking trail. Use to be a railroad route. John Wayne Pioneer trail. More than 200 miles long. Down south of me about twenty miles the trail goes thru two tunnels. Both bored out of solid basaltic lava. My son has gone considerable distances on his bike on this trail. He has never gone thru either tunnel. He says - "too spooky". The tunnels are curved. So you can not see the light on the other end - standing at the entrance. The trail/RR route goes along the southern edge of a typical lake here in the Scabrock. There are numerous wild tales about this lake and its involvement with the old railroad.

One of these days I'm going to have him take me there so we can both walk thru these tunnels.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #89  
Here in NE WA we have a cross state hiking/biking trail. Use to be a railroad route. John Wayne Pioneer trail. More than 200 miles long. Down south of me about twenty miles the trail goes thru two tunnels. Both bored out of solid basaltic lava. My son has gone considerable distances on his bike on this trail. He has never gone thru either tunnel. He says - "too spooky". The tunnels are curved. So you can not see the light on the other end - standing at the entrance. The trail/RR route goes along the southern edge of a typical lake here in the Scabrock. There are numerous wild tales about this lake and its involvement with the old railroad.

One of these days I'm going to have him take me there so we can both walk thru these tunnels.
That's Rock lake. Supposedly true story that back in the 20s a RR car load of new Model T dumped in a deep spot. No one has yet reported seeing it though.