Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property
And a BEAUTIFUL description...

• DESCRIPTION
Originally designed for opening and closing crates, this is a crudely made tool, yet ideal for rough work.
We use these in our receiving and shipping department where tools are used for prying, chopping, nail pulling and hammering, whether or not they were designed for it. Luckily, this one is designed for all of those activities.
At 13 1/2" long, it weighs just under 2 lb. It has a through steel handle with hardwood scales (complete with spots of wood filler). A tough, ugly tool that is perfect for the person whose usual solution to a problem is to use a larger hammer. Also ideal for the person who tends to leave tools out in the rain. This one can't get much uglier.
They are a HUGE thing in Ottawa.
Some really interesting items.
As I said before, Mr. Lee's story is impressive too.
They design a lot of their own tools, they will look at people's inventions and buy/market/license them.
They have their own engineers too IIRC.
They used to do funny videos for Christmas I think it was

I personally have their backwards measuring tape.
If you're right handed you often measure from left to right (upside down scale) and you're stuck making your mark with your left hand.
These tapes work from right to left, with the scale in the proper position to read, and you mark with your writing hand.
I "spose someone else has that but I've never seen one.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property
So I had just bought my property and decided to sneak around with the ol .308 to see if I could get a shot on a deer. I was following a game trailer that traversed a steep slope into the bottom land. All of a sudden i saw a skin colored life form off to my left 10 feet, SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME! It was this doll, one of those big ones that are life sized. View attachment 738113
Ok, that's F'n creepy for sure.
From my OP story I was afraid I was going to find a baby in the blanket. VERY glad I didn't
but I know exactly what you must have felt.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #33  
Remains
Maybe when on my deathbed I'll elaborate.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #34  
I found a small nylon parachute with a small plastic box attached. Parachute was about four feet in diameter. I found it on the far West end on my property. Called the phone number that was scribed on the box.

I was told it was some form of high altitude weather information collection device. Two guys came and collected it. I never heard any more about it. I would have liked to see what was actually inside the box.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #35  
They are a HUGE thing in Ottawa.
Some really interesting items.
As I said before, Mr. Lee's story is impressive too.
They design a lot of their own tools, they will look at people's inventions and buy/market/license them.
They have their own engineers too IIRC.
They used to do funny videos for Christmas I think it was

I personally have their backwards measuring tape.
If you're right handed you often measure from left to right (upside down scale) and you're stuck making your mark with your left hand.
These tapes work from right to left, with the scale in the proper position to read, and you mark with your writing hand.
I "spose someone else has that but I've never seen one.
I got some news for you. I'm left handed and about half the time all tape measures are upside down for me as well. 🤣

I'll have to look around their website some more. Thanks.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #36  
I found a small nylon parachute with a small plastic box attached. Parachute was about four feet in diameter. I found it on the far West end on my property. Called the phone number that was scribed on the box.

I was told it was some form of high altitude weather information collection device. Two guys came and collected it. I never heard any more about it. I would have liked to see what was actually inside the box.
Could have used one of these... :)

12E3DC37-CEAF-40AC-9075-580A8FAC9FE0.png

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #37  
My brother, who owns about 130 acres of woods adjacent to my land, gave a servitude to the Nature Conservancy of Canada and every year they send a biologist to inspect the property to make sure the terms of the servitude have been respected. I usually accompany the biologist as she is a font of information about the local flora. She always takes different, random routes and this past year we were well off any beaten path about a half mile from any habitation when we came across six grates with a small strip of steel on top of them. These grates are made of cast iron, weigh about 18 lbs each and they are used in maple sap evaporators. The ones we found are 36" long and fit my evaporator. I was happy to find them because the last time I priced them they were about $100 each and they do occassionally break. I brought two of them home but the other four were too stuck in the ground to remove so I left them, thinking to return with a pick and shovel. It seemed they had been there for a very, very long time. It was definitely a puzzle as to why they were in the middle of nowhere.
Not too long after that I realized what the strip of steel was from. I don't know the correct name for it but it goes on the bottom of a horse-drawn sled runner to protect the wood. I can even make out scratches on it where it has been dragged over rocks long ago. It seems likely that someone was hauling those grates with their horse-drawn sled when a runner broke. They had to leave the grates where they were with the idea of returning at some point to get them. Maybe when they came back they couldn't find them. When I went back with a pick and shovel I couldn't find them either! Who knows why they were hauling them anyway? Maybe they had stolen them from my sugarhouse? I don't know the age of my sugarhouse but both it and the evaporator were old when my father bought the farm in 1942. I'm getting older and won't be sugaring for too many more years so I probably have enough spare grates to last me. I'll leave those 4 other ones for someone else to find!
Grate, Sled runner.jpg

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #38  
^^^^^
That's a nice find. 👍
I occasionally see old sled runners in the woods but they generally are of the wider type used for wood scoots to be pulled by horses.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #39  

I was hoping you were going to say you found DB Coopers remains!

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #40  
Our largest ever flood down along the creek left this big tank down below. I probably should have bought some clamp on forks to bring it up the hill. Instead, I just used a sawsall and cut it up.

Had a 120v pump inside.

Tried for find the owner. No luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 128