Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #141  
Join the club! We have jackets! 🧥;) Yes, I have done the same. Popsicle city. Not that different to jumping into the ocean in Northern California. People don't do well in either location when they fall out of boats or capsize.

Did you know that the song lyrics had what is believed to be the probable cause of the sinking years before anyone knew?

All the best,

Peter
The song lists several possible causes.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #142  
If anyone ever gets the chance to stop by the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point, it's worth the trip. Then take a walk down to the beach and stick your feet in the water. Your ankles will go numb in about 5 seconds to the point of pain. Everyone's wearing jackets and hats. Then some guy in a speedo walks past and goes for his daily swim. Yikes!
The bays do get warmer towards the end of summer especially if there's limited upwelling.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #144  
Look up "mud crawfish" and see if that's what you found. They are more common than most people know.
Thank you. That's what they were. I've never seen any sign of them around here but a search shows they are a Midwest thing and likely in Ohio.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #145  
We called them crawdads. We would seine for them in still water beside a creek.
We never ate them, we used them for bait to catch catfish on trout lines or diddy poles.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #146  
We live on the flat black dirt farmground far from any water. At best we have man-made "ditches" to catch field tile runoff. Anyway, back in maybe 2002 we had a terrible storm that came off the Plains and battered us with very high winds and pounding rains and hail. It was a heck of a night and we were all shaken even though we're pretty tough.

Anyway, in the calm and sun of the next day with puddles and water everywhere we noticed there were a number of dried crayfish-looking things that had blown up against they house. They looked like little New England lobsters but were fresh water.

We asked around thinking this was some flat ground phenomenon and no one knew what we were talking about. People gave me that funny look. Maybe they were kidding me but those little lobster/crayfish/whatever were there and likely carried in on a "not in Kansas anymore, Toto" kind of thing. Still don't know what they were or where they came from.

I live in southern Ohio, and we have tons of crayfish that dig holes and live in the ground. They create annoying dirt mounds around the holes that are maybe 8" tall. When I'm mowing, I always try to run over the mounds with a front tire so I don't dull my blades by mowing dirt.

Your situation sounds different, since you don't normally see them.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #147  
Wife and I were walking in a field in Prophetstown State Park near Lafayette, IN, on fresh-mown trails through prairie grass and about every 5-10' there was a rather large crawdad standing their waving their claws at us as we approached. We saw hundreds of them that day. I've never seen crawdads on land before, only in water. I knew they made mud tunnels near water, but I'd never seen just crawdads standing around in damp grass. It was odd, to say the least.

I've been watching a few youtube videos of people using a piece of bacon on a string with a weight to catch crawdads out of the mud tunnels. Pretty interesting.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #148  
We call "biggish crayfish", yabbies. They're a freshwater cray and are common in farm dams.

On particularly damp or rainy nights, a yabbie can walk several kilometres to get into a new dam.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #149  
We (me and my buddy) found this old gold mine on his trap line up north in Canada its 40 miles from the nearest HWY in a straight line, its 65 miles down the bush road. Afterwards I research it and I actually found the geotechnical report, it was in operation in the late 1930's discover in 1924 there is a shaft that goes down to 626 feet, they left lots of equipment behind there is this old steam engine, this really cool fordson tractor on track that I would love to bring back home and the truro foundry and machine co engine dated to 1898.

1648980766076.png

1648980692896.png

1648980997908.png

1648980949356.png

1648981881798.png

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #150  
We (me and my buddy) found this old gold mine on his trap line up north in Canada its 40 miles from the nearest HWY in a straight line, its 65 miles down the bush road. Afterwards I research it and I actually found the geotechnical report, it was in operation in the late 1930's discover in 1924 there is a shaft that goes down to 626 feet, they left lots of equipment behind there is this old steam engine, this really cool fordson tractor on track that I would love to bring back home and the truro foundry and machine co engine dated to 1898.

View attachment 740158

View attachment 740157

View attachment 740160

View attachment 740159

View attachment 740161
You win! I doubt that anybody can top that.