Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property
Don't worry, it will morph again into a discussion about bears, or airplanes, or...

I'm waiting to hear somebody say they've found the "White Lady", the French biplane which tried to fly across the Atlantic a few weeks before Lindberg's successful flight. A lot of people believe that it's out in the Maine woods someplace.

They watched too many action movies, where the hero has to back up at 100 mph to evade getting captured.
Hard to believe someone hasn't stumbled on it.
I can't go anywhere in the "deep" bush without finding beer cans or coffee cups.
Pretty sure Ontario is a tad bigger than Maine.
416 000 sq miles vs. 33 000 sq miles.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #323  
Pretty sure Ontario is a tad bigger than Maine.
Is Ontario's motto "Gross understatements" or is that just yours? :D 👍 There's a good chance that plane went down in the ocean. However, the night it would have made landfall several people stated they heard a plane overhead... and aviators weren't common in 1927.

Over the years people have looked for it including Clive Cussler's "NUMA" which is a group he formed and funded to search for historical wrecks. So far nobody has found it. All that would be left is the engine, the wooden frame is long rotted away or burned in the crash.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #324  
Don't worry, it will morph again into a discussion about bears, or airplanes, or...

I'm waiting to hear somebody say they've found the "White Lady", the French biplane which tried to fly across the Atlantic a few weeks before Lindberg's successful flight. A lot of people believe that it's out in the Maine woods someplace.

They watched too many action movies, where the hero has to back up at 100 mph to evade getting captured.
To keep up with the drift…. Lost nuclear bomb near Savannah, Ga. 1958. It has never been found.

1649533152925.jpeg

The Tybee Island mid-air collision was an incident on February 5, 1958, in which the United States Air Force lost a 7,600-pound (3,400 kg) Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, United States. During a practice exercise, an F-86 fighter plane collided with the B-47 bomber carrying the bomb. To protect the aircrew from a possible detonation in the event of a crash, the bomb was jettisoned. Following several unsuccessful searches, the bomb was presumed lost somewhere in Wassaw Sound off the shores of Tybee Island. - Wikipedia

I was puttering around the yard and heard a flitter in the bush.
A partridge wandered out and decided to follow me around.
(cool thing)
He showed up 3 or 4 different days and one day followed me up to the front porch
and then attacked the back of my legs with his wings and claws. He got a surprise for his
efforts and didn't see him for a month or so.
Then a repeat show when he came back.
When we were getting along he'd stay just a couple feet from me no matter what I was doing.

1649533405634.png

Also had a family of fox living in the back yard. Hung out on my front lawn for a couple weeks.
Didn't catch many mice in the house for a week or two.
Nice, healthy looking critters. I'd like to have one as a pet.

1649533577156.png

Then there was a molting moose checking out my car. I suppose the plan was to lick some
salt off my car until I rudely interrupted.

1649533739939.png

And this dainty little girl hung around for a couple days too.

1649533819038.png

All cool stuff found on my property.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #326  
Man, that was a long time ago. I think it was a 327. It was rough when I got it around 75 and I didn't have it long.
There was a 327ci 325hp option that year. It would have been a potent option.

Heck, I had a 70 Nova with a 230L 6, same engine available in that El Camino. It would do 112mph.

Is Ontario's motto "Gross understatements" or is that just yours? :D 👍 There's a good chance that plane went down in the ocean. However, the night it would have made landfall several people stated they heard a plane overhead... and aviators weren't common in 1927.

That would be my understatement. I was guessing (but pretty sure) until I looked it up :)

Over the years people have looked for it including Clive Cussler's "NUMA" which is a group he formed and funded to search for historical wrecks. So far nobody has found it. All that would be left is the engine, the wooden frame is long rotted away or burned in the crash.

Hunh, I thought NUMA was a fictional thing in Cussler's books. Learn something every day.

It's possible as well it drove itself into the dirt enough to be hidden?
As much crap as I have seen littering the woods, and the feeling that somebody eventually stumbles onto everything, I 'spose it's entirely possible for things to disappear in the uglier places where no one ever goes.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #328  
Then there was a molting moose checking out my car. I suppose the plan was to lick some
salt off my car until I rudely interrupted.

1649533739939.png
Boy, the ticks are up your way also. They sure didn't do him any favors.
Hunh, I thought NUMA was a fictional thing in Cussler's books. Learn something every day.
It was both. First it was the organization which any of his readers are familiar with, then he formed a real group to find and map lost wrecks. The Sea Hunters (The Sea Hunters #1) If you like history I highly recommend these books. They make for interesting reading.

I believe they are the group which first found the "Hunley", a submarine which was used by the Confederates during the US Civil War.
It sunk a ship then disappeared for over a century.

I don't know if it was ticks or just winter hair coming off in clumps.
Here's a closer pic showing the thick winter hair. Also, no ticks that time of year obviously and that would mean the ticks got at it in the fall.
I dunno.
That pic is from about 10 feet.

1649545470306.png

Here's what I believe (for a number of reasons) the same moose with mom about 3 weeks later.
200 yds up the road. The hair on the shoulders seems to have filled in a bit??
And bow I've turned this into a moosey thread :)

1649545634408.png

I'll watch for the books. I've read a few Cussler books but I don't have the time for novels that I used to.

Last edited:
   / Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #330  
Since it's "Cool & creepy things found on your property"...would a gorilla classify?
In 1952 my birth year, a train derailed off of Lawyers Road, Lynchburg Virginia carrying Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey circus animals and 35 gorillas escaped into the woods literally 2 miles from our farm!!!!!
Gorillas terrorized area residents for the next 30 years.
My brother was 3 years old at the time and Dad took him downtown to watch the train arrive, then later to the circus.
Unfortunately (or fortunately)...the story was and isn't true.
The circus in later years set up in a neighbors pasture across from ours and as a kid every year I'd help them set up chairs, etc. for tickets to see the show.
The next day I'd walk over watching the elephants pull up tent stakes, that afternoon walk around finding dropped coins, etc., left behind.
I just now took a picture of a folding chair I found there and kept.
Bottom line is not all internet research and/or stories are true!

2022_04_09_19.07.42.jpg
2022_04_09_19.16.35.jpg
20220409_193217.jpg
20220409_193237.jpg