Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I have read about someone else doing this. My trailer landing gear is new and fully lubricated. I have 2 speed jacks. Its a heavy trailer and cranking it on low speed is pretty hard. On high speed, its easy, but takes forever.
Someone once may have posted here that they found a way to remove the handle and use a cordless impact with an adapter to raise/lower trailer.
I carry my cordless impact everywhere, so thought Id ask if anyone has done this?

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #2  
I’ve been going to make an adapter for my trailer. But I’m afraid of damaging it with the impact. I’d probably opt for my cordless drill instead.

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks
I’ve been going to make an adapter for my trailer. But I’m afraid of damaging it with the impact. I’d probably opt for my cordless drill instead.

Either one works for me! :laughing:

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #4  
I would think a cordless drill would be a better tool for the task.

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #5  
I would think a cordless drill would be a better tool for the task.

That's what I used, but even my 1/2" drill is only powerful enough to run the jacks empty. But that helps but kinda isn't worth it. You can buy a motor kit for the jack, they work fair. My brother put one on his tilt deck.

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #6  
I have used a cordless 1/2" drill on my small 5th wheel for years with no problem. When I switched to a 1/4" impact, I broke the adapter I had been using to hold a socket. It took awhile to find someone with a ratchet to borrow to raise my landing gear so that I could leave. The moral of the story is have a back-up ready.

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #7  
That's what I used, but even my 1/2" drill is only powerful enough to run the jacks empty. But that helps but kinda isn't worth it. You can buy a motor kit for the jack, they work fair. My brother put one on his tilt deck.

The center mounted jack on my equipment trailer is a pain to get the spring loaded foot down. I usually just put a 6x6 block under it and crank the rest of the way. Even if it would only do the no load part it would save a lot of effort. But it’s not very hard to turn with no load on the trailer I don’t think a good drill would have any trouble doing it. I’m pretty sure the OPs trailer doesn’t have adjustable leg jacks and has fixed jacks like a semi so just the no load part would be a big help for him to.

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #9  
I think some of the replies have confused stabilizing jacks on RV with lift (landing) gear on front of your trailer. A handheld cordless 12 volt drill will easily turn RV stabilizer jacks to run them up or down. Been doing that for years. But the RV stabilizer jack is NOT lifting the weight of the RV.
To manage the weight on front landing gear of a gooseneck or fifth wheel trailer you need something with slower speed and more torque. I am curious if you can get a variable speed high torque 1/2” cordless impact to do the job?

/ Cordless impact to crank trailer jacks #10  
The screw type jacks for cars, the impact wrench makes the car bounce at every hammer stroke. Drill is better, a cordless ratchet works well when it stalls out use it like a normal ratchet. Don't know if they come in 3/4" or 1" size but think that's what is needed for trailer tongue jack.