Corner clamps

/ Corner clamps #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
In my web travels yesterday, I ran across this picture which has some corner clamps I've been unable to locate - they look like they give plenty of room for working and welding away from the clamp:
1.jpg

I've looked for corner clamps, but most of the ones I've seen have a single tightening screw which pushes corner into the other corner, which means that your welding is happening right at or immediately next to the clamp metal. The one in this picture, on the other hand, has the corner easily 3" or more away from either of the clamp sides (that's 1" tubing in the pic).

Does anyone know where to find a clamp like this? I want one... well, actually, 4, or maybe more.

/ Corner clamps #2  
That looks like a light weight picture frame clamp or corner clamp for general woodworking.

Typically one would use the magnets to tac and then a bigger square to verify.

If you need something else give these a look. Others make the same thing. I’ve also seen some you “assemble” yourself to save money on them.

Fireball Tool - Welding Squares for Clamping

Not really what u r looking for? Consider this a bump. ;)

/ Corner clamps #3  
You will not be able to clamp and weld a corner completely like that.
Because of heat distortion it won't come out square.
To do corners you tack the metal then try welding from different sides to control the heat so it will come out square.
Then you tweek it with a BFH!

/ Corner clamps #4  
The pic in the first post seems to be a homemade square. The squares in the link seem to be cast. Just a ideal, but if you wanted several sq's similar to the casted ones, find somebody with a cnc plasma or water jet and have them cut out the angles and plates and just weld them up yourself.

/ Corner clamps #5  
I have three of those EXACT clamps - used to be sold at Harbor Freight, no longer available. Think I got mine close to 20 years ago...

DSCN3143.JPG

Upside - heavy cast iron, and better joint access as mentioned - also, the inside jaws came with v-grooved pipe inserts that are "tilt" adjustable (height with the center screw, adjust angle with the two outer screws -

Downside - the cast iron main frames are NOT exactly 90*, one of the three is better than the other two - when I got my mill a few years ago I was gonna "square-ify" 'em; that hasn't made it to the top of the list yet :rolleyes:
Also, with the pipe jaws in place they max out at just over 1-1/2" - remove the pipe jaws and they'll just barely do 2". Still, they'd probably be pretty useful once they were squared up - hmmmm, maybe I'll re-order that list...

You've gotten good comments on getting/KEEPING things square when welding; another trick I use pretty successfully is to clamp one piece in the vise, getting it close to level - then hold the second piece square to it with something like a rafter square - I use one of these, like the flat side -

Empire Magnum Rafter Square-399 - The Home Depot

Then, while holding the second piece square I do a LIGHT tack on the side AWAY from the square, let it cool, then clamp a THIRD piece across the other two, forming a triangle - re-check square THEN tighten the last clamp, you'll usually be able to pull the second piece BACK into square by hand if your tack is light enough -

Make sure you have SERIOUS clamps, and clamp the brace piece HARD - then use the previously mentioned "hopscotch" method of tacks back and forth, finally do full welds all around (skipping sides like doing lug nuts) - and then, let it cool COMPLETELY (I'm usually too impatient and "help it" with an air hose) - do NOT remove the brace piece until it's all cool.

This method has worked perfect for me; on weldments as big as 8x12 FEET using 2" square tube with 1/8" wall, diagonals come out less than 1/32" different -

DSCN2325.JPGDSCN2326.JPG

and as small as maybe 8" x 10" - all done with MIG, for me stick welding is kinda one of those things that fall under "either do it a whole lot MORE, or a whole lot LESS" if the material's less than maybe 1/8" or heavier... Steve

/ Corner clamps #6  
I’ve had this single screw one about 20 years now but I’m sure they’re still available. It doesn’t have the problem you mentioned.

IMG_0003.JPG

/ Corner clamps #8  
   / Corner clamps #9  
That's a really good price for two! The description doesn't say, and I can't tell from the pics if the jaw swivels to accommodate two workpieces of different thicknesses or not though.

I started to say, "Probably not from the picture", but then gave it another look and you can see the pivot pin so it likely does do that. Of course, you can always add some material to the smaller item - some flat stock for a 1" square tubing you are welding to a 2" square tubing, for example. Make sure you look at the other postings as there are various options you might like better. And I don't know if this is even the best price for these.