Corona Virus # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Corona Virus # 3 #41  
Gold has averaged 9.6%/yr return for 15 years from 2005-2020. Gold Price

I've been buying it along since late 90's (under 300oz) and am quite happy with a stash of real, private money with zero counter party risk.

OK. But... what makes you think gold is a viable exchange vehicle for other goods or services? Will it be useful to buy food, a cow, a chicken, a gun ? I'm just asking, because I never quite understood what good gold would do me if the shelves are empty at the Piggly Wiggly. NOTE... I am also unqualified to ask this question. Just wondering.

/ Corona Virus # 3 #42  
So this was thought to start in the fish and animal market in Wuhan China. The first cases were all people who had been to the market. Then they started having cases from people who hadn稚 been to the market. Those cases would be through community transmission....doors, handrails, same bus etc.

In the USA they have cases that are from folks who, say, traveled to China. Then they have cases of folks who have no link to China or folks who have been to China. Those cases would also be through community contact.

This is why they are pushing all the normal flu prevention stuff- wash hands, don稚 go out if you are sick (self quarantine) and clean commonly used surfaces (door knobs at work, shared computers etc).

But that does not answer the question of how they explain that the virus infected the people that may or may not have left it on door knobs, hand rails, keyboards etc...Where did it start in the "community"...it's not hard to understand how it gets spread...where it started from is the question and how are they explaining it?

/ Corona Virus # 3 #43  
OK. But... what makes you think gold is a viable exchange vehicle for other goods or services? Will it be useful to buy food, a cow, a chicken, a gun ? I'm just asking, because I never quite understood what good gold would do me if the shelves are empty at the Piggly Wiggly. NOTE... I am also unqualified to ask this question. Just wondering.

Just like gold, your 401K or IRA can't buy food immediately either. You have to cash them in before you get cash to buy "things".

/ Corona Virus # 3 #44  
Here is another little beauty:. I am sure you have all seen the constant commercial wanting you to buy Silver. They mention the 15 year price of silver and show the high as around $50 per ounce, and if you hurry and get in on the ground floor you can ride silver back to the top too. Hmmm, that commercial has been running for some years now, I wonder just when silver is going to take off?. Maybe today. :) And it may. But wouldn't you feel like a fool if you had bought silver a few years ago at the bottom and it is still near there and you missed out on all the gains in the stock market if you had invested there instead?. Everything has risk. Again, pay no attention to me as I am unqualified.

;) . . . I here you.

View attachment 643520

When it comes down to it you can't eat gold . . .

/ Corona Virus # 3 #45  
Gold VS the stock market over 30 years. Quite the different story than gold VS the stock market in the last 15 years.

Has Gold Been a Good Investment Over the Long Term?

"Over the past 30 years, the price of gold has increased by 280%. Over the same period, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) has gained 1,019% and the 10-year Treasury note has returned 315%.

Over the past 15 years, the price of gold has increased by 278%, roughly the same as the 30-year return. Over the same period, the DJIA increased by 173% and the 10-year Treasury note returned 65%, which are both significantly lower than their 30-year returns.
"

/ Corona Virus # 3 #46  
Two things I don't understand, so I will ask now and hopefully get an answer before the thread locks again.
1)There is no cure for the common cold because it is a virus. So what vaccine or medicine are they talking about to cure this, if it is a virus?
2) Why does something like this have any effect on the stock market?

Thanks,
David

You’ve gotten a few good answers on the market. It’s some fear and some actual supply chain issues because products may be delayed because of quarantine. You’ve got to remember a lot of the market is made up of everyday Americans- IRAs, 401ks etc. When they spook, they sell and the market will go down. If their are more buyers the market will go up. I assume as fear calms we will see a rebound.

Q1- you are right in that their are virtually no cures for viruses. However, once your body gets a virus it generally builds an immunity on its own and you don’t get it again. The goal of the vaccine is to “give” you the virus in a form that doesn’t cause you to become sick or contagious. That way your body builds its own immunity. This would be similar to the flu shot. Some who get the flu shot don’t feel great for a few days- you have been injected with a mild form of the bug.

I’ll leave it there so this doesn’t thread take a complete left turn.

/ Corona Virus # 3 #47  
I read where there are 3 people infected that cant be explained. Basically they do not know how these people were able to contract the virus b/c they were not around people who had the virus. Also other markets have opened today around the world and they are getting punished so id imagine the Dow will take another beating tomorrow. I suspect the market was needing a correction but if we lose another 4000 points on the market that will lead to a recession. Most likely short lived as the Federal Reserve will step in and do whatever it takes. They have basically already stated that. At any rate this will get interesting before it gets better

/ Corona Virus # 3 #48  
What if you had bought gold in late 2011 or early in 2012? Even now it is not back up to those prices. It can be a risky investment too, just like anything else. But again, don't take investing advice from me, because if I knew anything about it I would be rich, and I am NOT. :(

View attachment 643519

If you went all in on anything at the wrong time, you're taking that risk. Folks that bought Dow Stocks in early 1929 didn't see a full recovery until 1954. The Nieki average hit 50,000 in the mid 80's, crashed, and has only come back to about 1/2 that today......after 40 years.

The key to buying most things is to buy a little along the way, not cherry picking a high or low point.

/ Corona Virus # 3 #49  

If the shelves are empty at the Piggly Wiggly, gold, nor much of anything in the way of financial instruments will likely do you much good.

But the far more likely scenario is that the FED will continue to do exactly what it has done since 1971....print more and more paper (or electrical digits), devaluing the currency away. In 1920, you could walk into any bank, swap a $20 paper bill for a one ounce gold double eagle. Today, you need 80-85 of those paper 20's to do the same thing. Gold did not become more valuable, the paper simply got worse, and will continue to do so.

As for use.....I've used gold several times in the past to buy goods and services. My dentist took an 1850's $10 gold eagle for a 900 buck crown. I bought my counter tops from a granite guy that took a couple of modern gold eagles in exchange. And so on.

/ Corona Virus # 3 #50  
But that does not answer the question of how they explain that the virus infected the people that may or may not have left it on door knobs, hand rails, keyboards etc...Where did it start in the "community"...it's not hard to understand how it gets spread...where it started from is the question and how are they explaining it?

The coronavirus is more common in animals. It has crossed over to humans in different forms over the years. This version “they think” crossed over from either a cat or dog in the Wuhan market in China. This is from the CDC website-
IMG_6382.png

Status
Not open for further replies.