could use a little help

/ could use a little help #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined but this has me scratching my head. The loader on my tractor is loose I have tried every way I can think of to tighten these two front bolts but I cannot get on the backside they are up underneath front differential I do not think new Holland was thinking so smart when they designed this loader. I will attach a picture and maybe you guys have figured a way to get a wrench in their and hold the bolts, the tractor for all practical purposes is just a TC 55 even though now they call it a 2420 don't ask me, come to think of it they change the name again to 40 something ;-). The loader is a 270 TL. I know on the one side I have to remove the exhaust but how to get into that little space with a wrench I just don't get it, someone told me at the dealer that TC 55 used to have some kind of one piece bolt plate that held the bolts while you tightened my tractor has to separate bolts, I can't imagine why it's different the loader's capacity is the same regardless of the tractor's number. Well thanks again and any ideas would be appreciated and if anybody with a TC 55 could take a look and tell me if the dealer is correct and there is some kind of bolt plate that does not require a wrench to be applied thank you

Attachments

• front loader.jpg
    front loader.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 299
  • left side loader_edited-1.jpg
    left side loader_edited-1.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 274
   / could use a little help #2  
I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined but this has me scratching my head. The loader on my tractor is loose I have tried every way I can think of to tighten these two front bolts but I cannot get on the backside they are up underneath front differential I do not think new Holland was thinking so smart when they designed this loader. I will attach a picture and maybe you guys have figured a way to get a wrench in their and hold the bolts, the tractor for all practical purposes is just a TC 55 even though now they call it a 2420 don't ask me, come to think of it they change the name again to 40 something ;-). The loader is a 270 TL. I know on the one side I have to remove the exhaust but how to get into that little space with a wrench I just don't get it, someone told me at the dealer that TC 55 used to have some kind of one piece bolt plate that held the bolts while you tightened my tractor has to separate bolts, I can't imagine why it's different the loader's capacity is the same regardless of the tractor's number. Well thanks again and any ideas would be appreciated and if anybody with a TC 55 could take a look and tell me if the dealer is correct and there is some kind of bolt plate that does not require a wrench to be applied thank you

Radium,

I'm going to take a stab at it to see if I pictured it right... There is a nut behind the frame that you want to grab (keep it from turning) so you can tighten the bolt from the exposed side of the frame. Is my estimation correct? if so, have you tried to get a box end wrench on the backside jammed against the front axle to keep the nut from turning?

JC,

PS. I looked at at again, it more looks like to me that the loader bolt is tightened to a pre drilled and threaded hole on your main frame not needing any bolt on the other side to tighten. That seems to be the normal way loaders are attached to the engine, tranny and or frame.

/ could use a little help #3  
No offense , but are you sure there are nuts behind the mount frame? Are they possibly welded to the frame so they don't require anything to hold them when you tighten the bolts? Are you sure that the frame is not tapped for threads? Have you talked to the dealer to see what advice they might offer?
Since loaders can be added after the tractor is delivered to the end user, it would seem to me that there would be tapped holes in the frame or the nuts would be self retained. I have an add on loader and the main frame bolts on via tapped holes in the castings.

/ could use a little help
no offense taken :), there are nuts behind the frame I can just about see them and they spin when I try to tighten the bolt, because obviously the bolt is going around, as far as trying to jam something in their good luck if I could get the camera a little closer I will show you what I mean. By the way I'm pretty sure the loader was installed at factory due the fact that it's a cab model and my bill says loader install factory? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Well like I said I hope somebody would a TC 55 or 48 can take a look and tell me about this bracket or whatever it's called behind the frame I need to get one ;-).

/ could use a little help #5  
My TC45D uses a plate with the nuts welded to it in that location. Mine came loose(off), but I was able to locate the plate(but not the bolts).

Chris

edit: to be clear, two nuts were welded to one plate, so they won't turn.

/ could use a little help #6  
ditto my tc45 -- mine has a plate with 2 nuts welded to it -- I'm betting your welds broke loose --- now you've got a problem. I think mine came off as well but it's been so long ago I don't remember the fix. ...it's just that I remember holding that nut plate in my hand. If you take the radiator out can you reach 'em?

/ could use a little help #7  
no offense taken :), there are nuts behind the frame I can just about see them and they spin when I try to tighten the bolt, because obviously the bolt is going around, as far as trying to jam something in their good luck if I could get the camera a little closer I will show you what I mean. By the way I'm pretty sure the loader was installed at factory due the fact that it's a cab model and my bill says loader install factory? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Well like I said I hope somebody would a TC 55 or 48 can take a look and tell me about this bracket or whatever it's called behind the frame I need to get one ;-).
Radium,
I checked my DX55 and you are correct, they are seperate nuts with lock washers. I also looked up the parts diagram on the Messicks site and they show the same thing - bolts with lock washers and nuts. Your pictures make it look like there is more room than there actually is on the tractor, although I think you could get a stubby box wrench on the nuts. You might be able to get a flex socket or crows foot on a couple of them, but I'm not sure without trying that.

/ could use a little help #8  
See parts 7, 8, 9, and 15.

Attachments

• nhimage.gif
    nhimage.gif
    44.7 KB · Views: 178
   / could use a little help
Ford850 thank you for checking, now for the simple question how do you tightened your loader bolts in the front, is it the same design, and do you have a cab or open station the dealer told me there is a difference in the structures, but he probably means the back section where the cab and the loader mounts meets. It's a little too cold today about 24ー in old upstate New York to go out and play with it, but tomorrow my brother will be home from work and I can use his heated shop and break some knuckles trying to figure it out.

/ could use a little help #10  
It is possible NH has a wrench made just for this with a crazy bend or bends to it. Is taking it to dealership an option? No idea on the side with pipe over the bolt heads but sometimes a good impact wrench can tighten bolts if the nuts are not turning fully free.