Covering 3 pt implements ?

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #1  

Bdavis

Silver Member
Tractor
4500 mahindra FEL
I have a small shed for my Tractor but do not have any place out of the weather to store my implements.( 5 foot bush hog, 5 foot grader box , and a 6 foot finish mower.) I just can not stand to leave them out in the weather. So far I have been taking old tarps and long pieces of 2 X 4, rope and wire and covering each of them individually by making a little tent over them. I also put the implements on cinder blocks.

I have been doing this for about 2 years and it does seem to work but is a pain if I do a lot of implement switching. (Just installed the Pat's easy change system so plan on switching more regularly now)

I was just curious if anyone has solved a similar problem ?

If the only answer is to build a shed, any simple pole shed ideas would be appreciated. I would want it to be at least 10 feet tall at the open end so I could just back my tractor in with the roll bar up and unhitch. I really only see a need for a 3 sided structure at this point.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
   / Covering 3 pt implements ? #2  
Mine stay outside up off ground. I cover them with Fluid Film and it seems to be working. I bought a used FEL plow and the guy kept everything on blocks and under tarps like you. All his stuff looked new storing it that way. I'm sure inside is always best. But if you don't have the room.....

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #3  
I have a small shed for my Tractor but do not have any place out of the weather to store my implements.( 5 foot bush hog, 5 foot grader box , and a 6 foot finish mower.) I just can not stand to leave them out in the weather. So far I have been taking old tarps and long pieces of 2 X 4, rope and wire and covering each of them individually by making a little tent over them. I also put the implements on cider blocks.

I have been doing this for about 2 years and it does seem to work but is a pain if I do a lot of implement switching. (Just installed the Pat's easy change system so plan on switching more regularly now)

I was just curious if anyone has solved a similar problem ?

If the only answer is to build a shed, any simple pole shed ideas would be appreciated. I would want it to be at least 10 feet tall at the open end so I could just back my tractor in with the roll bar up and unhitch. I really only see a need for a 3 sided structure at this point.

Thanks
Bill

Well, I built a "shed" LOL! It cost about $ 30,000 if I remember correctly. It's a 30x50x16ft. high pole building. Insulated, heated, & 6" thick concrete. Before that I had a lean-to on the lower end of the garage at the old place where we used to live. The weather still got to my stuff in the lean-to but it was better than having it sit outside under tarps, which is what I did prior to the lean-to. You probably don't need something as fancy as I had built, and neither do I at this point. But I was 48 years old when I did this & am now almost 55 & not getting any younger! It's really nice to have a warm place to work on something when it breaks down in the winter. Or just to do regular maintenance. So you might want to consider building for the future. And like my builder said "It's cheap to go up". (in building height)

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #4  
It's not really going to hurt the implements being stored outside. I'm sure most TBNers (including me) have done it sometime or another. I put a plastic tarp on mine...just made sure there was plenty of airflow to ensure water, snow or condensation could evaporate. I used a spray preservative (now it's Fluid Film exclusively) on the PTO drive shaft halves for seasonal storage (but don't forget to apply grease before using them). I also sprayed the U-joints and splines. The tractor end of the drive shaft was held up off the ground using a bungee affixed to the upper A frame of the implement.
Like BuzzardA91, I put blocks under the implement.
If you do have some room...I'd put the RFM inside. That's the most expensive implement you have.

I do have a shed now, so everything is inside. No tarp now, but I still preserve the drive shafts and support the tractor end of the drive shaft. Since the shed has a dirt floor, I still use blocks too.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #5  
Yep, lots of airflow and maybe park the implement on a pallet or blocks of wood.
I have a small supply of treated 4 x 4 cut offs that I keep for that usage.
Also on my snow blower I always use a rattle can with matching red for a simple paint film just for summer protection, Come first snow that is blown off but then frozen metal won't rust.
Same for tractor, lucky for me Tremclad med blue in rattle can is perfect match.

Your question was 'cover implement' !
My thoughts are that covering (with a tarp) might even be worst than uncovered as you'd then be trapping moisture under the tarp.
Results could however vary depending on locations.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #6  
Fluid film? What kind of store sells this and what department is it sold in? Lubricant, car wax, floor wax, ice cream topping?

I keep a brush hog outside, but off the ground. No tarp, so the sun will probably put a beating on the paint, but mechanically as long as it has grease and oil I think it will continue to work.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ?
Yep, lots of airflow and maybe park the implement on a pallet or blocks of wood.
I have a small supply of treated 4 x 4 cut offs that I keep for that usage.
Also on my snow blower I always use a rattle can with matching red for a simple paint film just for summer protection, Come first snow that is blown off but then frozen metal won't rust.
Same for tractor, lucky for me Tremclad med blue in rattle can is perfect match.

Your question was 'cover implement' !
My thoughts are that covering (with a tarp) might even be worst than uncovered as you'd then be trapping moisture under the tarp.
Results could however vary depending on locations.

I was a little concerned at first about the moisture trapping but that has not been a problem.
I did not use my box blade for almost a year and it looked great when I pulled it out. We don't get any snow down here but lots of rain. I had it sitting about 6 inches off the ground on blocks and the tarp did not go all the way to the ground (about 3 inches) from the ground. The Tent configuration with steep sloping sides usually staked and roped at the corners does a good job of getting all the water to run off the tarp.

I am sure it probably does not hurt them to sit uncovered , it just bugs me. I will probably just keep tarping for awhile.
Thanks

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #8  
IMAG1342.jpgThe only real way to keep them from not only the element but from the sun is to use a shed. The draw back to the shed is then you have to maintain the the shed and incur the cost of building it. I personally built my shed so that I didn't have to look at them all laying around. I built it so that it was easy to get loader and 3 point implements in and out by having access to one entire side with sliding doors. I still have yet to build the heavy duty "shelves" to organize all the implements, so for now the ones that are already rusty stay outside until I get it organized.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #9  
The only real way to keep them from not only the element but from the sun is to use a shed. The draw back to the shed is then you have to maintain the the shed and incur the cost of building it. I personally built my shed so that I didn't have to look at them all laying around. I built it so that it was easy to get loader and 3 point implements in and out by having access to one entire side with sliding doors. I still have yet to build the heavy duty "shelves" to organize all the implements, so for now the ones that are already rusty stay outside until I get it organized.

Very nice looking shed. Good job.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #10  
Most of my stuff is outside. I would not use a tarp to cover them because it will trap the moisture under the tarp (like a green house) and rust worse than out in the elements.

The most economical way to get them under a roof would be a carport. Carolina Carports - Homepage