Covering 3 pt implements ?

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #11  
I too like to keep my stuff inside but I don't have room for everything unless it becomes a major hassle moving three or four things to get to anothert. I've thought about building some sort of open sided shed but I can't justify the economics of spending more money for protection than it would cost to replace the implements in ten years. I definitely keep things like the mowers/bush hogs inside but box blades, scraper blades, etc. aren't really going to be hurt be being left outside.

Tarps don't work here, it's too windy.

Probably the most economical structure is the aluminum carport type shed as along as you get it built tall enough to get the tractor underneath.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #12  
I'm now up to four fabric hoop buildings I bought at Menards. They're 12x20 and about 10' high at the peak, I think the first one I bought was $275, now they're up to about $500 but that's still cheap. And there's no taxes on them, which is a big savings around here. My oldest one is now 6 years, I had to replace the top on it, that was about $150 as I recall. We also kept hay in them while we were putting up our barn. When I needed to move one I had 5 friends over, we picked it up and carried it to the new location. Hard to beat for a cheap cover.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #13  
Fluid film? What kind of store sells this and what department is it sold in? Lubricant, car wax, floor wax, ice cream topping?

I keep a brush hog outside, but off the ground. No tarp, so the sun will probably put a beating on the paint, but mechanically as long as it has grease and oil I think it will continue to work.

O'Reillys has it and you can get it on EBay.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #14  
Most of my stuff is outside. I would not use a tarp to cover them because it will trap the moisture under the tarp (like a green house) and rust worse than out in the elements.

The most economical way to get them under a roof would be a carport. Carolina Carports - Homepage
I opted for the Carolina carport.

photo_zps76089e06.jpg

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #15  
Tarps don't work here, it's too windy.

When I left implements outside, I used plastic tarps with the eyelets...tied them to the implement tightly, but left enough slack in the tie downs to ensure the tarp didn't blow off. Worst case is the tarp would tear (which doesn't make it unusable).

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #17  
I'm OCD about inside storage. At our farm my tractor and all attachments that have hydraulics or PTO are at a minimum in open fronted sheds. In Winter my tractor lives in a heated shop. If starting with nothing, I'd build an open fronted pole building, tall enough for the tractor, and designed so sliding doors could be added as money allowed. In the end, it's all driven by money.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #18  
Got a shed for the tractor and any implement on it. Other implements sit outside on cinderblocks - no covers. I do cover a trailer because it's got a wood floor. But I have never covered things like a box blade, rock rake, back blade or cutter. I do remove the PTO shaft from the cutter and store it inside, and put an old plastic container over the gearbox to keep it dry. But that's it. My father did the same thing. And we've never replaced an implement due to rust - just due to wear or major metal damage.

I'd like to have a shed for everything so I could work on them in the dry, but the cost for that luxury is just too high.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #19  
O'Reillys has it and you can get it on EBay.

Thanks, I was wondering what this was too!

Carolina Carports is building my horses' run-in/farrier/vet shed, they have been good so far, since I have to work for our agency at the state fair every year, I talked to a couple of their reps there, very knowledgeable, and very affordable (b/c I wanted engineered, certified, 12g steel) but still waiting for delivery. However, no more $$$$ left.

What I have been happy with thus far is a ShelterLogic shed I bought for my hay. Yep, it's a mass-produced IKEA-version of a giant tent (and don't believe them when they say their auger anchors are easy!!), but it was $220 for 10 x 10 x 8' sidewall. For another $80 you can get a 12 x 20, I think. I'm also going to stake an extra tarp over top to prevent the UV wear many users report.

My ground is super hard where I put it up, so I said screw this after some water and rebar pounding and had neighbour bring up his hydraulic post driver. Now those **** anchors will never move. If there is a hurricane, it might rip the whole shed off but those anchors will still be there, dangit!!

I ordered it from HomeDepot, free shipping that way. If I could afford it, I'd get another for implements (I do have them up off the dirt a little, need to find some bigger branches) and more hay, but for now I'll scavenge tarps from my truck bed.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #20  
I store all my implements outside - each one sitting on its own pallet. I "goop" all the cutting/earth engagement parts with heavy grease and I do not cover them. The "winterizing" of eight implements is almost as bad as hitting all the grease zerks on the tractor/loader. Fortunately I have never changed implements in the winter time so that situation presents no problems. I too want a storage shed - for implement storage and a place where I can "fiddle/work" on them out of the wx and where I can make it warm. One stall of my carport is for the tractor - so its out of the wx in the winter and out of the sun in the summer. But until my next shipment of gold arrives I'm pretty sure its going to be this way.