Covering 3 pt implements ?

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #21  
That's pretty nice. Is it a pre-fab type building?
Some of the parts are pre fabed but most of it is cut and fit, a 3 man crew builds it on your site. I added all the doors 6 months after I put the carport up.

photo-142.jpg

photo-141.jpg

photo_zps76089e06.jpg

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #22  
I too want a storage shed - for implement storage and a place where I can "fiddle/work" on them out of the wx and where I can make it warm. One stall of my carport is for the tractor - so its out of the wx in the winter and out of the sun in the summer. But until my next shipment of gold arrives I'm pretty sure its going to be this way.

I totally hear ya. Buildings, regardless of type, are very expensive.

I'm very Blessed (spoiled) with a 42x50 heated shop ($42K). Equipped with bathroom, XM Radio, Internet, antique Barber Chair (naps) and microwave (popcorn). Makes 15 degree days like this one a lot more enjoyable. I work (fiddle) on my stuff in a T-shirt. I do not take this luxury for granted and always recognize how Blessed I am. :)

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #23  
I know of very few farmers who store implements indoors. Its an expensive idea for little return. Even tractors sit out on the ranches and farms I am acquainted with. But I get the emotional aspects of it. But in the end if it does not have electrical, or exposed bearings, it will be fine just sitting in the dirt. You can block it if it makes you feel better. I put my implements under big cedar trees but it is purely emotional, no real rational reason to do so. My only caveat is your fine cut mower MMM you mentioned. Those tend to be thin in construction and if so, putting them indoors is probably not a bid idea. In the end your other implements will either be replaced or you will be dead before they rust out.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #24  
I don't consider "rusting thru or out" to be the issue with storing equipment. I think it's more about preserving moving parts, hydraulics, electrical, etc.

As for farmers. Around here the more established operations store their equipment inside. Go into Northern Iowa or Illinois/Indiana and you rarely see a piece of Ag equipment outside. If so it's a simple piece such as a disc or some other form of tillage equipment. Even then, if you look closely, the hydraulic cylinders/hoses have been removed and stored inside.

Large AG tractors are $250K, combines are $350K. Those get priority as would be expected.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ?
View attachment 348690The only real way to keep them from not only the element but from the sun is to use a shed. The draw back to the shed is then you have to maintain the the shed and incur the cost of building it. I personally built my shed so that I didn't have to look at them all laying around. I built it so that it was easy to get loader and 3 point implements in and out by having access to one entire side with sliding doors. I still have yet to build the heavy duty "shelves" to organize all the implements, so for now the ones that are already rusty stay outside until I get it organized.

Excuse me , that is not a shed - that is a work of art !
Really nice My tractor and implements are at my camp. That looks a lot better than my cabin, if I had something that nice up there - I would be living in it <gin>
Great job

/ Covering 3 pt implements ?
Really appreciate the input, as usual I learned a lot. I never heard of Fluid Film before I will be going by O Reilly's tomorrow to get some. As many of you pointed out the finishing mower is the most vulnerable to rusting out and I have evidence. I got it used and it was in bad shape at that time with rust areas. I have really worked to preserve it and it seems to be holding its own for now. I clean it , brush it down and spray with paint and rust remover before each cutting season.

I saw some plans on the internet for a loafing shed that looked like something I could build for low cost and might do the job for me in the future. For now I think I am going to just Fluid Film it and try to cover the finishing mower to provide air ventilation and keep the rain and sun off of it.
Thanks

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #27  
Ovrszd,
You do have a house there??? I think I could live in a "shop" like yours. Wow - its 3:20pm here and I look out the window over the yard where it is 12 degrees and they predict it going to 4 degrees. I think I might hang sheets for walls on one of carport stalls and start a bonfire and dream of a new shop.
No, I jest(and drool) - I'm glad to see you have a nice shop.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #28  
Excuse me , that is not a shed - that is a work of art !
Really nice My tractor and implements are at my camp. That looks a lot better than my cabin, if I had something that nice up there - I would be living in it <gin>
Great job

Thanks for the compliment, it was a bit of work but all the oak I used came right from the trees I took down on the land.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #29  
An old man once said " your gonna pay for a shed/barn whether you build one or not." He was referring to increased maintenance, replacement, rusting, uv damage, wastage etc of "stuff" ( tractors, hay, implements, feed, etc) left out in the elements.

/ Covering 3 pt implements ? #30  
It goes without saying but you can always put other stuff in there besides implements. I have organized all my hand tools like rakes and axes on the walls. I keep all my fertilizer and grass seed in there as well.