craftsman tools lifetime warranty

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #111  
People were posting pics of old drills so I'll do the same. This one has been in my family for as long as I can remember, I'd guess a minimum of 40 years. No idea how old it is but it seems Simpson-Sears started in the early 50's. I remember this thing being a beast to try and hold on to, it needs to be pulled apart and cleaned before I'd plug it in now.

Very nice!!!! And it's Craftsman!!!! :)

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #114  
   / craftsman tools lifetime warranty #115  
People were posting pics of old drills so I'll do the same. This one has been in my family for as long as I can remember, I'd guess a minimum of 40 years. No idea how old it is but it seems Simpson-Sears started in the early 50's. I remember this thing being a beast to try and hold on to, it needs to be pulled apart and cleaned before I'd plug it in now.

View attachment 526895View attachment 526896

Curious, the tag says 115 volts most have 120 volts now, would there be an issue, rpm faster maybe?

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #116  
Curious, the tag says 115 volts most have 120 volts now, would there be an issue, rpm faster maybe?

For as precise as electrical work is I've always been surprised by the variations in voltage listings. I know three, 110V, 115V, 120V. All the same thing. Also know 220V and 240V. What the??????

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #117  

View attachment 526895View attachment 526896

Wow, that's a beauty! I bet it might even be 60 years old.

I just checked Wikipedia, and the Craftsman trademark for tools was first registered by Sears in 1927! Would be fun to post the pics on the vintage site that /pine linked to, just to see if someone could ID it.
Sears | Craftsman - History | VintageMachinery.org

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #119  
That would make it a universal motor so it would work with the old DC portable welders that generated DC current...

There are still some tools like angle grinders and such with Universal Motors...

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #120  
Early electric power was often DC.

The War of the Currents: AC vs. DC Power | Department of Energy

Starting in the late 1880s, Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla were embroiled in a battle now known as the War of the Currents.

Edison developed direct current -- current that runs continually in a single direction, like in a battery or a fuel cell. During the early years of electricity, direct current (shorthanded as DC) was the standard in the U.S.

But there was one problem. Direct current is not easily converted to higher or lower voltages.

Tesla believed that alternating current (or AC) was the solution to this problem. Alternating current reverses direction a certain number of times per second -- 60 in the U.S. -- and can be converted to different voltages relatively easily using a transformer.

Bruce