craftsman tools lifetime warranty

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #81  
I don't think so. Sears' problems began long before Lampert. When was it, 30-odd years ago that they decided to re-image themselves as more female-friendly (discover the softer side of Sears) and downplay their strengths (Craftsman, Kenmore)? Backfired big time...men didn't want to go to a womens' clothing store, and women didn't want to buy their clothes from a chain known for tires, lawnmowers and power tools.
By the time Lampert took over, it was more a case of when, not if it was going feet up. A shame, they were the Amazon of their day, but their eye was taken off the ball long ago.

Why Sears Holdings Corp. Investors Should Hate Eddie Lampert -- The Motley Fool

In the early part of this decade, Sears may not have been the store we remember as kids but it was far from dead. Lampert sold off all the valuable assets and raided the piggy bank. He is a hedge fund manager, not a retail executive. He thought he was smarter than everyone in the company and has found out the hard way that he wasn't. It's cost employees and shareholders big time and he's lost a bunch of money too.

Kevin

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #82  
This discussion seems to have drifted away from Craftsman Tools Lifetime Replacement Warranty.

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #83  
This discussion seems to have drifted away from Craftsman Tools Lifetime Replacement Warranty.

As is usually the case with all threads. :)

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #84  
I went through several Craftsman drills (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") before I started buying Milwaukee. The Craftsman drills (from the 70's and 80's) were not up to daily use, even that long ago. I just threw them away, did not see any point in exchanging for another piece of junk.

My Dad gave me a big old Milwaukee 5/8" drill. A real brute but too heavy, and had one speed that turned too fast for what I needed. I gave it to my brother in law. Replaced it with a couple Milwaukee 1/2" drills. One is the standard pistol grip, variable speed. The other is in the picture. It has a 300 rpm low speed, I use it primarily with Bosch self feed bits. 7.5 amps. I brace it with both arms and a leg if I can.

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 66
   / craftsman tools lifetime warranty #85  
For a lot of folks back in the day... The Sears Catalog was a major source of entertainment (among a few other utilization's)

I remember as a kid working for a yard maintenance guy in the summer.
One day when we stopped at his house to eat lunch, he's like "want a catalog?" I'm like "why?" "Look at the women's underwear" ...

Never did anything untoward to me, but he's on the state's sex offender list now. Not saying the catalogs were involved, mind you.

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #86  
Even if I could never again use the lifetime warranty I would feel I got my money's worth...

When you think about it... I bought a lifetime Craftsman Garden Hose for my Grandmother for Mother's Day around 1970...

It was the last hose ever bought and that one purchase left her in good steed for 30+ years.

On the other hand... I sure did make a lot of sales for Craftsman Hoses... people at work, school, neighbors... etc and Sears would have some real good sales so it wasn't all that expensive to begin with.

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #87  
I remember as a kid working for a yard maintenance guy in the summer.
One day when we stopped at his house to eat lunch, he's like "want a catalog?" I'm like "why?" "Look at the women's underwear" ...

Never did anything untoward to me, but he's on the state's sex offender list now. Not saying the catalogs were involved, mind you.
LoL...what no Nat Geo?

"Grandma wrote to sears asking them to send some toilet paper for the outhouse...sears wrote back instructing her to use the order forms in the back of the catalog...Grandma wrote back that if they had a catalog they wouldn't need the toilet paper...!"

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #88  
The other is in the picture. It has a 300 rpm low speed, I use it primarily with Bosch self feed bits. 7.5 amps. I brace it with both arms and a leg if I can.
I use to buy a LOT of tools at a local (at the time) industrial tool dealer. I went in one day to buy a HD drill and wanted one of those Mil Holehawgs like pictured, so I brought one up to the counter.

"Curt" at the counter leaned over and said "don't buy that", buy that B&D down there... I said, NO I like Mil drills and this is what I want!! He tried to talk me into the B&D "industrial" made by Elu, but no dice, my mind was made up!

I left with my Holehog and went straight to a job, put a big bit in and started drilling on low, it took off and was drilling when the bit caught and the chuck "bucked" and BANG! That was the end of the gears in the tranny right there!

Turns out there's almost a half turn in the chuck (back and forth) of a Holehawg to engagement, and the "jerking" when a big bit "catches" can explode the tranny gears...

Well, off I go back to the tool dealer and when I walked the "hall of shame" to the counter, Curt hollered "you blew the tranny, didn't you!!" "I told you to buy the B&D!!

Well, what could I say, I had to stand there with my tail between my legs as he took the Mil back and charged me the difference for the Elu!!

The shame didn't end there either, that was on a Saturday and Monday when I showed up on the job, several subs were there and one of them, "Terry" the plumber, yelled out "hey Rob, I hear you bought a Holehawg on Saturday. He!!, if I had known you wanted one of those, I would have given you one off our bench, there's two of them there with blown trannys!!" AND everyone on the job busted out laughing... lol lol

Anyway, the Elu has an 8 amp motor and the same 300/1200 gear tranny and it's the best, toughest drill I've ever used!! The chuck doesn't have slop in it and the motor is glass filled! BULLET PROOF!!

Here I am, MANY years later telling this story, a zillion holes later and my B&D industrial Elu made drill, is still performing like new!!

standard.jpg

One of it's better features is, if you REALLY over load it, it has a built in "ratchet" clutch in low gear that will ratchet to keep you from getting hurt, but you still BETTER hang on tight until it gets to that point!

SR

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #89  
Just used my 3/8 USA made Craftsman socket set and noticed the ratchet mechanism doesn't click anymore and is pretty sticky. It's probably giving up the ghost I would guess. I'll hose it down with wd-40 and see what happens. If it dies I won't bother trying to get it replaced. I've only collected on a warranty one time in my life that I can remember and that was on a TV that was a display model at Best Buy.
I have a set of Craftsman combination wrenches that the chrome is terrible on and they've rusted badly. They're about 20 years old and forged in the USA. They've been stored in an unheated shed. I've never considered trying to have them replaced either. I just don't buy Craftsman, lesson learned.
20171029_164703.jpg

Close enough to the topic?
Kevin

/ craftsman tools lifetime warranty #90  
Clear case of user error