Crap: Diesel fuel tank leak

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915,102, 5200 & 5065E
As it's a pin hole leak... I would turn the tank so the leak was above the fuel. Clean the area with acetone to remove any film, then work JB Weld in to the leak. Like greasing a bearing, use a gloved finger to force the epoxy into the leak. Let it cure 24 hours before setting the tank back.

Williy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT 235C Yannar YRC 60 rotary cutter, Yanmar RT72 rotary tiller B75 Backhoe & bucket & thumb
My 1974 Ford 1/2 ton pickup original gas tank
started to leak so when tank was empty used
jb weld on it but it only lasted ten years bummer!
The rust spot was about a foot in diameter
replaced with new gas tank.

willy

Joe Millar

Tractor
MF 50HX Back Hoe
I have cleaned up a leak with sand paper and then brazed
with oxy /act with good results.

jlsteiner

Tractor
McConell Mark 25 (Jinma 284)
Back in my day of working on Diesel tractors, we use to drain the tank on tractors and braze them with a torch and a small tip but that was on diesel fuel that was high Sulphur if that makes any difference, I do not know

panamaguy

Tractor
kubotab7001 ... IHI NX15 excavator
I used a product years ago called SealAl. Run and yellow tube. It was on a gas tank and never had another problem with the leak. You can do it as the fuel is leaking out. Not sure if you can still get it

Vaquero

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6010c
Use a wheel balancing weight. Lead is best.
Hold the lead against the hole and tap with a hammer until the lead is "pinched in two".
This will drive lead into the pinhole and seal it.

We patch holes in power transformers this way.

Bob Gibson

Tractor
Century 2635
Grind the weld a little to make a flat spot, then use a tek screw with neoprene washer - screw it into the leak directly (you could add some epoxy or JB weld to the screw before seating it). It will be sealed immediately and when the level gets below it or the tank is empty, you can fix it properly.