Critique what went wrong.

/ Critique what went wrong. #31  
BTW, it doesn't even need to be such a big log. By chaining the load just right to be wrong, it is possible to get the chain tension to ADD to the total bending load on the axle.

rScotty
How? The axles are not directly tied to the deck of the trailer on an on-road trailer.

/ Critique what went wrong. #32  
On the camper in post 3, the bent chassis might shorten the driveshaft enough to try to ram the gearbox through the engine. Broken engine and g/box mounts possible. Just straightening the chassis will be pricey.

/ Critique what went wrong. #33  
How? The axles are not directly tied to the deck of the trailer on an on-road trailer.

It doesn't require that they be solidly bolted together - although that looks to be the case on the particular trailer that we are talking about in this thread.
But the deck isn't just floating on any small trailer. The deck and the axles have to be connected together in some manner so that you can pull both by pulling the other, and so they can go down the road together.

Being connected, the entire axle assembly becomes a beam loaded in the middle by the weight of the log and the vertical component of the chain tension over the log.

/ Critique what went wrong. #34  
It doesn't require that they be solidly bolted together - although that looks to be the case on the particular trailer that we are talking about in this thread.
But the deck isn't just floating on any small trailer. The deck and the axles have to be connected together in some manner so that you can pull both by pulling the other, and so they can go down the road together.

Being connected, the entire axle assembly becomes a beam loaded in the middle by the weight of the log and the vertical component of the chain tension over the log.
No.

/ Critique what went wrong. #35  
This is a local photo taken by someone I know. This is the South.
I find that amazing. Wonder what that load weighed. It destroyed that trailer at every level.

/ Critique what went wrong.
I find that amazing. Wonder what that load weighed. It destroyed that trailer at every level.
He'd of been better off making firewood and hauling it that way.

/ Critique what went wrong.
I imagine it is a borrowed trailer.

/ Critique what went wrong. #38  
Hope he didn't rent the trailer.

If he did, he wound up owning afterwards. I'm guessing that the LDW carrier would deny the claim (unless he had another trailer handy to offload to) then lied about what he was hauling. In any case, doubtful he would be welcome back at the rental place.