CT230 - Cranks but wont start!

/ CT230 - Cranks but wont start! #1  

Bruce Hanson

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
My 2008 CT230 cranks but won't start. I took out the fuel shut off solenoid and it runs great. Put in a new solenoid and turns over, starts when solenoid first clicks but shuts off at second click. Could it be the relay?

/ CT230 - Cranks but wont start! #2  
Could be, I think there are several identical relays on your tractor, might try swapping them out for testing. Does it die immediately when the key is released from the crank position? Have you checked fuses?

/ CT230 - Cranks but wont start!
Fuses are all OK. If I turn key on, wait for the glow plugs to heat up, and turn the key to start, the engine will crank but will not start. If I then turn key to off and turn key to crank right away, engine will fire but will then cut out after 1 second. I already switched out the high (or low) beam head light relays, as they are the same, with the same results. That is why I thought is was the solenoid at first and replaced it. It's almost like the solenoid is pulling but not holding.

/ CT230 - Cranks but wont start! #4  
I only have a Kioti ck manual, not sure how similar they are.
Looking at the schematic, it looks like the hold coil current goes through the Key Switch. Do the headlights and flashers work?
Maybe some WD-40 worked in the key switch.

Headlights and flashers work. Just tried WD40...same results. I tested voltage at control unit and noticed a white wire and a black/yellow wire that are not noted on the schematic. Also, the schematic shows 2 yellow wires, one for the seat switch and one for the engine stop signal going to the fuel shut off solenoid. There is also a speed sensor on the schematic without wire markings. The yellow wire at the control unit had 12 volts but the white did not. I think I'll need to trace both wires to see where they lead to.

/ CT230 - Cranks but wont start! #8  
Do you think it could be a safety switch? Like the seat or e-brake. Try firmly setting e-brake and starting or bypassing sensor. Be sure to replace it of course if that’s the problem.

/ CT230 - Cranks but wont start! #9  
There seem to be two styles of electrical fuel shutoffs in common use on tractors.

One style is powered on to shut down the tractor;
this type uses a momentary controller to activate the solenoid to shut down the fuel supply and stop the engine,
after a short time it releases the fuel shutdown back to the run position.
The only place I have seen this is on Kubotas.

The other system uses a fuel solenoid that is energized to start and run;
These systems usually have two separate windings in the solenoid coils a start winding and a run winding.
When starting the tractor a higher amperage coil opens the fuel shutoff, when the key is released a run winding
which uses less amperage takes over and holds the solenoid in the run position.
Often these are controlled by two separate relays and an interlock so that only one is energized at a time.
On these systems when the tractor starts but shuts off when the key is released it is usually in the run circuit,
the relay or the solenoid or the wiring.

Found the issue. The black/white wire had a break that was preventing the solenoid from holding. Thanks for everyone's input. I hate electrical problems.