Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews
Wow...haven't been around in a while! Good to see my old thread is still active!! :cool:

My RZT50 is still going strong. Other than general maintenance, I haven't had to worry about it much.

Since I haven't been around in a while, has there been any new developments on servicing of the EZT transaxles? Any maintenance tricks/tips for the RZT50? I'll do a little searching of the site, but if anyone has some helpful hints it would be appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Good to see OldMachinist and JTKub still active!! :D

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #74  
Bought my RZT 50 about 3 1/2 years ago. Left hydro quit with 21 hours of use, warranty repair so no problem. Next season same hydro quit again with 45 hours on the meter, warranty repair again. Last year the muffler fell off due to the threaded bolt holes basically disintigrating. Mower mows well for a residential mower, although it is very loud both from the engine and mower deck. The hydro drive belt just broke today and what a pain in the rear it is to replace. The warranty has taken care of the major problems and the mower overall is a decent mower that cuts well. Next time I will spend the little extra to get a higher quality mower made by someone other than MTD though. I mow about 3 acres weekly to biweekly and I do not see this machine lasting long enough to warrant the 3 grand price. It may be a fine machine for someone who mows an acre or less, but why spend that kind of money to mow an acre? Personally I believe the mower is not worth the price and its quality control and engineering is lacking severly. What a shame to both the Kawasaki motor they put on it and the Cub Cadet name.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #75  
I'm at three and a half years and 135 hours now and knock on wood, no hydro trouble yet. I'm on my third set of spindle bearings, luckily there easy to change, some probably didn't need to be changed but since it was off and they're cheap they were done. Only issue I had was a broken spring that returns one of the levers back to neutral. I built a ramp and scrape my deck after every mowing session then blow it all down with compressed air. I'll concur with the rest that the deck wash is useless, I even took those nozzles out and replace them with carriage bolts to stop the grass catching on them. Only three grease fittings that I know of on mine, one on each front wheel pivot and one on the front axle pivot.

Steve

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #76  
With the deck off the spring is easy to replace.
The transmission is a ZT-2800.
You may just need to clean and adjust the stering linkage to correct the reversing problem.

Do you know where I might get step by step instructions to replace spring for deck height adjustment?

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #77  
With the deck off the spring is easy to replace.
The transmission is a ZT-2800.
You may just need to clean and adjust the stering linkage to correct the reversing problem.

Can you give a little more details on replacing the torsion spring for the deck lift? I havre taken deck off but can't find room to slip spring off and to slip new one on. Does anything else need to be take off?

Robert

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #78  
234 hours now. Still mowing good, no problems except grease fittings popping out.
No biggie but, aggravating.

Update: A little over 300 hours now and 5th season I think, "will have to look at paperwork".
Still no problems other that grease fittings that I mentioned earlier.
I do regular maintenance, grease spindles, air filter, plug, etc.
So far, so good.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #79  
I have the RZT 50, 8 yrs old now with 560 hrs. Have had no problems until I pressured washed it the other day and now the left side transaxle takes about 30 min. to warm up before it will go at regular speed. The right side will go, but if you move both handles at the same time its like the brakes are on. Does anybody have a answer for this please.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #80  
1. lose the pressure washer - powered lawn/garden eqpt just wont tolerate such.... elect and hyd probs for sure. Compressed air much better.
2. you prolly have a park brake puck sticking - spraying same down with a rattle can of brake pad cleaner should help...