Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #81  
Got 36 hours on mine and its going back to Home Depot for oil coming from the exhaust. This happened when I cranked it up the first time of the season after Winter. Its got a Kawasaki 24hp. Ohh well...We'll see what happens..

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #82  
Any of you with the 22hp Cub Cadet EZT 50" Forward Problems?

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews
Well, working on my 3rd year and and just ran into my first problem...

After mowing my lawn Thursday evening, I typically pull into a natural area in my backyard and blow down my mower. Upon re-start all I got was a click with a brief buzz/hum. First thought is battery. Get tester and determine battery isn't terrible, but under load I can tell it is probably time for a new battery. This morning went to LOWE's and bought a battery. After installing battery, I got a LOUDER click and a MORE DEFINED buzz/hum!! Next step I decided to investigate the starter....

My RZT50 has the Kawasaki motor (22HP). I removed the top cover. Once the top cover is removed, you actually expose the flywheel and the top of the starter. My problem became obvious! The nut at the top/end of the starter shaft had come off. The nut, washer, spring retainer, spring, and starter gear were sitting on the frame. All the parts were there, just not attached. I removed the starter from the engine and re-installed all the parts. Luckily nothing appeared to be damaged and the starter shaft still spun freely. So I re-installed the starter assembly and hooked all the electrical connections back up. Turned the key and the starter engaged the flywheel, but I didn't let it start. Went ahead and put the cover back on. Jumped in the seat and she fired up and ran like a champ! It was time to breath again!

I don't know if this is a typical issue with this type of starter, but I would recommend removing the main cover and checking that the nut at the top of your starter shaft is tight! I was lucky....all the parts were still there, and nothing was damaged!

I am still very pleased with my Cub Cadet RZT50! If it is 3 more years until my next "issue" then I will happy!

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #84  
I have this mower in the 22hp EZT 50". I posted this issue recently, but this pass week replaced the belt and made some adjustments, now it moving forward very good. My V-belt/drive belt was bad as it was not getting the proper tension from the pulley-tensioner. I freed up the pulley and oiled it's movement, re-set the spring and the new belt is tight now. Give this a try, I could be your forward problem too.

kethone (Willie)

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #85  
I recommend staying away from water and a pressure washer to clean this type of equipment. Use your leaf blower best way to clean IMO. Keep everything greased for sure.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #86  
Just surfing the net and found this thread. I have a RZT 50 and have used it last summer and the last few weeks mowing lawns. I have 18 clients and the largest is about 1 3/4 acre. I put gator Blades on it last July and wont go back to the plane blades. Smaller clippings and better balance. As for the deck spring I have replaced mine twice and it broke again today. I am just going to order 3 more cause it seems that this is a issue they have. As for the PTO cutoff when you go back up. I just unbolted the 2 switches that are behind the lever's under the side covers and zip tied them up out of the way. I did this cause I don't want the PTO to where out cause of the shutting off and on all the time.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #87  
I have the deck lever torsion spring issue that you mention and can not figure out how to remove the spring without taking most of the mower apart. I can't seem to slip the spring off the lever because of other pieces in the way. Is there an easy way to remove and replace the torsion spring for the deck lever that I am missing?

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #88  
I had it dune buy the dealer so I can't help on that one. But once I get the springs in I will give a shot at it. If you do yours before I get mine done post up how you did it. Good info for others also.

/ Cub Cadet RZT 50 - Ongoing Reviews #89  
cub cadet has a service advisory spring change on this issue (contact your dealer) it is a warrenty

I have the deck lever torsion spring issue that you mention and can not figure out how to remove the spring without taking most of the mower apart. I can't seem to slip the spring off the lever because of other pieces in the way. Is there an easy way to remove and replace the torsion spring for the deck lever that I am missing?