Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #51  
^^^^
I recently purchased a 2021 Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S after extensive research and demo’s on my property.

I’m extremely happy with this mower.

MikeView attachment 707169
I was thumbing through the Kawasaki FX850V manual yesterday and saw where an oil change - no filter - was recommended at 8 hrs. I was a few hours over on ours so I changed oil and filter for good measure. I used Havoline 10w30 and crossed the Kawasaki filter to a WIX 51394 (which I already had in "stock"). After oil drain and filter change, I found exactly 2 quarts to be exactly full. I like the CC remote oil drain hose setup and the filter was easy to reach too.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #52  
I was thumbing through the Kawasaki FX850V manual yesterday and saw where an oil change - no filter - was recommended at 8 hrs. I was a few hours over on ours so I changed oil and filter for good measure. I used Havoline 10w30 and crossed the Kawasaki filter to a WIX 51394 (which I already had in "stock"). After oil drain and filter change, I found exactly 2 quarts to be exactly full. I like the CC remote oil drain hose setup and the filter was easy to reach too.
OK I have to ask, what are you doing up at 2:30 in the morning ?

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #53  
OK I have to ask, what are you doing up at 2:30 in the morning ?
I'm an early riser. No - I had to let the dogs out and couldn't get back to sleep right away.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #54  

So, I totally missed this service in the manual. However, the service indicator on the mower informed me of the need for a fluid change.

The plug on my oil drain hose was virtually welded on. It had tons of red loctite on the plug. I had to use an impact gun to free it. Crazy.

I’m just curious if there was loctite on your drain plug/drain hose?

Mike

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #55  
My 2015 XT3-GSX also had red loctite on the drain plug but it wasn't too difficult to break it loose.
Bob B.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #56  
After having a near conniption fit getting the drain plug out of the drain hose on my father's RZT mower - I was prepared for the worst, but had no problem removing the drain plug on our 560. Both mowers had the red loctite.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #57  
After having a near conniption fit getting the drain plug out of the drain hose on my father's RZT mower - I was prepared for the worst, but had no problem removing the drain plug on our 560. Both mowers had the red loctite.
A much easier route is to just suck the oil out of the dipstick hole. Use a gas/oil transfer pump and just suck the oil out. Much simpler and less messy.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #58  
A much easier route is to just suck the oil out of the dipstick hole. Use a gas/oil transfer pump and just suck the oil out. Much simpler and less messy.
I have thought about doing that but never attempted it. On my father's lower end RZT Cub Cadet - the folks at Hydro-Gear actually recommended the transfer pump method for removing and then for refilling with 20w50 synthetic motor oil (Castrol). This is the option recommended versus actually removing each wheel pump to drain / refill the fluid and then reinstall which looks like an absolute nightmare.

Attachments

• ZT-2100, 2200 EZT Service Manual.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 132
   / Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #59  
That's the nice thing about having oil filters on them. Pull the filter and all oil drains out. Filling is a little more complicated but not pulling motors out complicated.

/ Cub Cadet Steering Wheel Zero-Turn #60  
We (my wife:) is mowing about 4-acres of grass at three separate locations, one property has drainage ditches alongside the road with a couple steep slopes that will get your attention. I am on my third deck and have a few hundred hours on my trusty JD Garden tractor but looking to replace it with a zero-turn.

A few manufacturers offer a ZT with steering wheel instead of levers as a good solution for mowing slopes. I am looking hard at the Cub Cadet entry level (commercial 100 series) and was basically waiting until they went on sale this past winter but that did not happen. I just saw Exmark discontinued their steering wheel ZT mowers which doesn't inspire confidence it the concept.

Any experience or thoughts with these mowers? Also, I believe Toro and Cub Cadet are owned by the same company, are they selling different models or just rebranding>
My wife has one (ZTR) with the steering wheel and I have a conventional 2 oar ZTR and she really likes her's and won't use my 2 oar. Had it 3 years now with no issues. It's a Cub Cadet ZTR btw.

Bought it used from my dealer with 100 hours on it for 500 bucks.