Cultipackers?

/ Cultipackers? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Past advice on creating foodplots has been that I need a cultipacker.

I'm looking for advice on particular models.

For example, I can purchase one that flips over for transport from Northern Tool for $689.99. It is 6' and weighs 418 lbs. It would be towed by my ATV.

Alternately, I can purchase a 6' cultipacker from Everything Attachments. It is $1,562.00 and weighs 856 lbs. It would mount on my Tractor. I may not be able to get it in time as they are very backed up (my fault for not handling this in June).

I understand the benefit of weight with implements like a box blade or LPGS. Does the same hold true with a cultipacker?

The ability to pull it with an ATV seems to me to be a real time saver, both in getting to the field and in going over the field. I suspect I could make 4 passes with the ATV for every 1 pass with the tractor.

What do the experienced here have to say?

Thanks!

/ Cultipackers? #2  
Unless your planting grass and looking for a smooth surface you don't need a cultipacker for food plots . You need a disk , spreader and a good drag .

/ Cultipackers? #3  
A cultipacker or cultimulcher actually helps a lot with planting. A cultipacker generally has a single row of packer wheels where a mulcher version has two rows with some spring tines between the rows. They are also good for smoothing out ground that has been disced and the ripple effect left on the ground can help with erosion. I have an old 12 foot hydraulic lift John Deere that is used quite a bit.

/ Cultipackers? #4  
We have the EA cultipacker. As I recall, we have the 7' version. We bought it last year, prior to planting season, to use in our two small food plots. It works very well. I think that the weight is an important factor--the more the better.

/ Cultipackers? #5  
I would rather have a used higher quality "crow foot" packer, than the cheaper models made today...

standard.jpg

The crow foots are superior in how they work...and around here, they sell for about $100.00 per foot...

SR

/ Cultipackers? #6  
LMC/Lowery Manufacturing makes a pretty good cultipacker.

I have found my food plots do much better if I use a cultipacker compared to a chain drag.

td

Attachments

• cultipacker.jpg
    cultipacker.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 317
   / Cultipackers?
I would rather have a used higher quality "crow foot" packer, than the cheaper models made today...

standard.jpg

The crow foots are superior in how they work...and around here, they sell for about $100.00 per foot...

SR

I'd buy one of those in a minute...if I could find one. Never seen one in Alabama.

/ Cultipackers?
Thanks, Treedawg. I'll take a look at teh LMC version.

/ Cultipackers? #9  
Thanks, Treedawg. I'll take a look at teh LMC version.

I see you are in AL and I'm pretty sure LMC is in AL but not sure what part of the state.

I purchased my cultipacker from them at The Sunbelt Farm Expo in Moultrie GA a few years ago.

td

Last edited:
   / Cultipackers? #10  
I saw cultipackers on Craigslist while I was in search of a cultimulcher.