Current frost depth Minnesota?

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Anyone happen to know what the current (march 3, 2016) frost situation is here in Minnesota around the Anoka area? I need to start pounding posts as soon as the frost is out of the ground. Driving the tractor the other day I was cutting in to the ground about 6 inches (sloppy, loose, muddy). Its been colder the last couple of days and I don't know what the frost might be like deeper in the ground as opposed to what I see at the surface here. Just thought I'd ask on the off-chance anyone here might happen to know the situation.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #2  
You guys have frost that we cannot comprehend. I'm in extreme Northern Missouri and I'm sure we have not had 6" of frost here at any one time this Winter.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota?
You guys have frost that we cannot comprehend. I'm in extreme Northern Missouri and I'm sure we have not had 6" of frost here at any one time this Winter.

I envy you guys further south. Yes, we get frost about 42 - 44 inches deep when we get our normal cold averages for a winter. This has been a mild winter here this year. Even had rain not too long ago.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #4  
Rare to find a water line here buried 48".

Few years ago I was at Ft McCoy in late January training Soldiers. We had temps of -25F degrees commonly early morning. One morning we had what the locals called "Ice Fog". You couldn't see 100yds. Before daylight it was very eerie. Never had in my life saw fog in below zero temps.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #5  
Frost is gone in NW Nebraska and has been for a while. even the lakes and ponds have melted. Bad year to be an ice fisherman.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #6  
Frost is pumping out of the ground here. Even though we had a mild winter we had lots of rain and the ground was soaked when the freeze hit so the frost ran deep and fast. What a mess. :mur:

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #7  
In Wyoming I put in a post today, no frost. It's been a snowy winter up until February. But the snow acts like insulation and the frost only goes about 6 inches deep.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #8  
Give somebody in the excavating business a call or talk to a grave digger in a cemetery.

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #9  
A friend of mine worked for a blasting Co and was talking to a blaster from Mane. He said up there they blast a lot of frost so they can start digging a basement or whatever. Glad we don't have to deal with that. When I was in Hong Kong i was trying to explain that it gets cold where i come from and said that the ground gets freezes and gets hard. their reply was "you live north of the arctic circle? One night in Hong Kong it got down to 69 degrees F and I saw someone with a down parka on the buss. Ed

/ Current frost depth Minnesota? #10  
As said, call someone local, rather then ask people scattered around the country.

It has been a mild year, but I would think there is still frost deep down.