Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #31  
Another viewpoint on leasing it out.

We did that here for a couple years. The guy brought a bulldozer in, knocked down some fences that "were in his way" AND (father in law passed away during this time) he knocked down the tree on top of the (highest hill) in the county where his ashes were spread.

Used fertilizers (I'm told) that nobody wanted around lest they leach into either our well system or the lake. (I personally have difficult time believing this BUT, I'm not a farmer)

When he left, he left behind about 30 large round bales of hay that nobody would let me get rid of because "he might come back for them"....and now, today, 6-7 years later, these bales have small trees growing in them, he's not getting them and the hay is rotting a bit making it much more difficult for me to move them without them flattening and near impossible to even GIVE them away.

So he created more issues/mess here than anyone foresaw and as far as I'm concerned, if he were to be found on the property, I'd be content showing him the most direct path off of it.

So it wasn't a Class "A" experience.

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #32  
Fenced? (sorry I might have missed that) Someone might be able to run some grazing animals?

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #33  
We lived in Arkansas for a little while when my wife and I were newlyweds and there was a older man that had about 20 acres that he mowed with a 21" push mower. He started early each morning and would work till dark. By the end of the week he just started over. Everyone said he just loves to mow. I felt bad for him. 😂

Last edited:
   / Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #34  
We lived in Arkansas for a little while when my wife and I were newlyweds and there was a older man that had about 20 acres that he mowed with a 21" push mower. He started early each morning and would work till dark. By the end of the week he just started over. every said he just loves to mow. I felt bad for him. 😂
Maybe he was wanting a new wife?

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #35  
Maybe he was wanting a new wife?
I never spoke to him and never saw anyone else there but him. She may have been busy mopping the house with a toothbrush.

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #36  
We lived in Arkansas for a little while when my wife and I were newlyweds and there was a older man that had about 20 acres that he mowed with a 21" push mower. He started early each morning and would work till dark. By the end of the week he just started over. Everyone said he just loves to mow. I felt bad for him. 😂
When I was growing up there was a man that walked the roads EVERY day. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. Rumor was he was shell shocked in the war. He never spoke to anyone, just walked.

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #37  

We did that here for a couple years. The guy brought a bulldozer in, knocked down some fences that "were in his way" AND (father in law passed away during this time) he knocked down the tree on top of the (highest hill) in the county where his ashes were spread.

Used fertilizers (I'm told) that nobody wanted around lest they leach into either our well system or the lake. (I personally have difficult time believing this BUT, I'm not a farmer)

When he left, he left behind about 30 large round bales of hay that nobody would let me get rid of because "he might come back for them"....and now, today, 6-7 years later, these bales have small trees growing in them, he's not getting them and the hay is rotting a bit making it much more difficult for me to move them without them flattening and near impossible to even GIVE them away.

So he created more issues/mess here than anyone foresaw and as far as I'm concerned, if he were to be found on the property, I'd be content showing him the most direct path off of it.

Can you build a temporary pen around your big bales then find a neighbor with goats. You can offer to feed them for free. They eat a lot ! My friend in the next county grows his hay field exclusively for his goats. He supplements that with feed from Tractor Supply that has vitamins. My Dad’s neighbor would lend his goats out all summer to feed so he didn’t need to buy any summertime hay for them. Joe would come check on his goats every morning and bring them fresh water. As a side note, Joe’s mini black goats, he didn’t lend those out, for lots of attention from everyone around. When someone would scare them, yelling, clapping etc.. they go stiff and fall over. He said they were fainting goats. Strangest thing I ever seen a goat do. Then last idea I learned from Forrest contractors in Utah. They would gather all their clippings and undergrowth into teepee piles all over the woods. They told me they would come back into the Forrest on snowmobiles in the winter and drop a road flare into each of the teepee’s to get rid off all the debris safely.

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #38  
Can you build a temporary pen around your big bales then find a neighbor with goats. You can offer to feed them for free. They eat a lot ! My friend in the next county grows his hay field exclusively for his goats. He supplements that with feed from Tractor Supply that has vitamins. My Dad’s neighbor would lend his goats out all summer to feed so he didn’t need to buy any summertime hay for them. Joe would come check on his goats every morning and bring them fresh water. As a side note, Joe’s mini black goats, he didn’t lend those out, for lots of attention from everyone around. When someone would scare them, yelling, clapping etc.. they go stiff and fall over. He said they were fainting goats. Strangest thing I ever seen a goat do. Then last idea I learned from Forrest contractors in Utah. They would gather all their clippings and undergrowth into teepee piles all over the woods. They told me they would come back into the Forrest on snowmobiles in the winter and drop a road flare into each of the teepee’s to get rid off all the debris safely.
Do not feed old hay to goats. More then likely they will turn their nose up at it. A goat will not tolerate bad hay very well.

Burn them. They are of no value. Wait until the middle of the winter when everything is wet and burn them. Use one of the propane sidewalk ice melt torches to get them started.

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #39  
I never spoke to him and never saw anyone else there but him. She may have been busy mopping the house with HIS toothbrush.

Fixed it for ya!

/ Cut 10ac with finish mower - Advice Requested #40  
Burn them. They are of no value. Wait until the middle of the winter when everything is wet and burn them. Use one of the propane sidewalk ice melt torches to get them started.

Thought about that.... we ALSO have a nice washout going down the big hill....again, thanks to him as when he loosened the dirt to plant, cultivate, I guess it allowed a channel to develop. (there was always a bit of a swale (correct word?) there but now I have to stop and be careful to cross it with tractor as it's much much worse)

Anyway, thought about using the bales as some filler in there to see if it would compost away and help fill it....meanwhile, simply use it to raise the bottom a bit. (could also add some dirt to that)

I've spoken about burning them and got the horrified look from everyone because they still view those bales as untouchable since they belong to the farmer who abandonded them about 6-7 years ago. I don't agree with that logic at all.