Cyclone 200ES attached to generator?

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #11  
Just keep in mid the frequency part. That is what will fry the electronics in that welder, why I suggest an inverter genny because they maintain 60 hertz even during excessive inrush load. Like I said, they aren't cheap but no point in toasting the welder either.

The issue with any conventional genny is, when the welder requires the amperage and the engine drive drops in RPM, the hertz also drops as the the genny armature slows before the engine governor can recover.. That don't happen with an inverter genny as the Hertz is electronically stabilized inside the generator. I have a Champion myself. Good unit but not cheap.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #12  
According to welding site I frequent (Hobart) the wattage capabilities of the generator should be at least 50% more than demand of welder... The reason being is the rotating mass of rotor in generator is small enough that if welder bog down generator excessively (surge requirement when arc is struck) it drops out voltage and frequency of generator when it bogs down and can not recover needed rpm fast enough to maintain correct power demand of welder and may cause damage to electronics in welder...

IF welder (not surge) draws 18 amps at 240 volts that is approximately 4080 watts.... And if the 50% theory is correct that would dictate a generator that is rated at a little over 7000 watt capable.... Yes its the inrush demand the is critical not the maintained wattage once initial surge is over come... Of course these figures are for if welder is being used at maximum capability, if you are always below welder max, you can dial back generator needs some....

Last edited:
   / Cyclone 200ES attached to generator?
So if we stay over or in the 7000 watts area, we might make it work. Welding 1/4 thick steel material with wire seems the most I ever work with.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #14  
Generators Direct sells the complete Champion Line and others as well. Where I bought mine.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #15  
Besides the engine size, where you’re operating in the hp/torque curve, and the governor response; the system’s (motor/generator/flywheel) inertia will effect the rpm/voltage/frequency dip and recovery when your sizing within close margins.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator?
Besides the engine size, where you’re operating in the hp/torque curve, and the governor response; the system’s (motor/generator/flywheel) inertia will effect the rpm/voltage/frequency dip and recovery when your sizing within close margins.
So I should be looking at larger than the 7000 watts area?

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #18  
Because it's electronically controlled, I'd be careful about what genny I bought. Conventional genny's have a lot of harmonic distortion that may fry the electronics.

Just keep in mid the frequency part. That is what will fry the electronics in that welder, why I suggest an inverter genny because they maintain 60 hertz…

In the past, I have connected one leg of an incandescent light bulb to the generator and another to land power. If the frequency of the generator is not the same as land power the bulb with flash vs stay on like normal. The speed on the generator is then adjusted so the bulb stays on continuously and you‘re there and didn’t even need to get out the oscilloscope.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #19  
The new multimeter I just purchased to replace my ancient and failing Fluke has a frequency setting on it, 10 to 1000 Hz. Again, I would never use a conventional 2 pole portable gas generator to power any electronically controlled welder. Taking a chance with the frequency variations when the welder requires a jump in generated amperage and it slows down before the governor recovers. With an inverter generator, the frequency remains stable because the frequency is electronically generated within the generator unit.

My Champion Inverter maintains 60 hertz constantly, no matter what the imposed load is. The voltage and output amperage may drop as the governor responds to the load but the unit maintains 60 hertz constantly. That is very important when dealing with electronics in anything powered by a portable generator.

The issue is of course, Inverter generators are expensive compared to a conventional 2 pole generator where the frequency is a product of the spinning armature spinning at 3600 rpm. When the rpm drops off due to load, the frequency also drops off.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #20  
Most conventional 2 pole generators don't produce true sine wave power anyway. They produce a' modified sine wave' which some electronically controlled devices don't like anyway. Inverter generators produce true sine wave power. With me, my philosophy is, you pay for the generator once and you don't compromise or fry any electronics.