Cyclone 200ES attached to generator?

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky

If we purchased a generator with 240 output to power this unit, what size might we need? thanks!

CLN-200ES

120/240, GMAW/SMAW Spoolgun

Download Manual:
Cyclone 200ES Manual
Downloads:
PDF icon
How do we compare?
PDF icon
Brochure
SKU: CLN-200ES
$639.00 You Save - $10.00
$629.00
Weight: 30 lb
Dimensions: 18 in × 9 in × 13 in
Additional Images:

Cyclone 200ES

The all digital Cyclone 200ES is a updated model of the popular Cyclone 200E MIG welder. Don't worry, it still retains all the things of the Cyclone 200E. It's still a good MIG welder with 200A capability, and a 25% duty cycle at 180A. Nothing has changed as far as that goes. However, this new MIG model now features stick welding capability for a more complete welder package. (Electrode holder and capable are options however, see options for link.) With 160A stick output, the unit is capable of using up to a 1/8" welding rod, more than enough for your average stick welding needs. And if stick won't do, the unit also features a Flux-Cored mode for those times when the wind is too much for MIG. Since the unit retains it's small size and weight, these additional features make it a perfect choice for carrying with you when you don't know quite what to expect when you get to the job site.
The PowerSet function helps you to get up and running quickly, without having to refer to complicated charts or calculators. Simply enter the basic parameters of what you are working with, and the unit will automatically set the output for you. Of course, if your work position or welding style doesn't exactly give you the perfect setting, you can fine tune the settings, but the machine won't let you get too far off track from making a sound weld. If you don't need or want the setup assistance that PowerSet provides, the manual mode is always available. In PowerSet mode, you have settings for MIG with 75/25 Ar/CO2, MIG with 100% CO2 and Flux-Cored (gasless) wire. If you need to weld Aluminum, it can be used in manual mode.
The Cyclone 200ES has a display that is clear and bright. The settings are easily visible at a distance, even in bright sunlight or lighting conditions.
Even though the Cyclone 200ES is very compact and lightweight, the unit still allows the use of up to 8" rolls that weigh up to 12 lbs. Of course, you can use 4" rolls as well, or if you prefer, you can purchase a spool gun to use those in as well, especially for Aluminum applications (Aluminum for use with Manual mode only).

Vertical Tabs​

Features & Benefits:
  • Digital IGBT Inverter design
  • MIG and Stick capabilty (Stick Electrode Holder is optional)
  • Bright, high visibilty LCD Digital Display
  • PowerSet mode simplifies setup
  • Stable Arc performance
  • Simplified, easy operation
  • Low spatter
  • Weld with 4" or 8" wire rolls
  • Drive Roll V Groove .023"-.030" (equipped)
  • Up to .035" solid (Hard) wire capacity with optional Drive Rolls
  • .030-.045" Flux-Cored (gasless) capacity with optional Drive Rolls and MIG gun liner change
  • 25% Duty Cycle at 180 amps
  • 200 Max amps
  • Duty Cycle/Overcurrent Protection (auto-stop)
  • Dual Voltage 1 phase 120/240V
  • 15 series MIG Gun
  • Spool Gun capability
  • Power Cable 6.5 ft.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #2  
I couldn’t open the link for the manual. Somewhere in the manual, it probably list the input amps, or minimum circuit size, required.
This amperage, times 240volts, is the input power requirement (measure in VA (volt amps). This is roughly equivalent to the input wattage required from a generator.
Then the question becomes, how fast can the generator react to that (wattage) (starting) demand surge (which is a function of the engine’s governor’s response time and hp/torque curve) and not suffer a (temporary) rpm/voltage dip that significantly effects the welder’s performance.
People often upsize another 30% to compensate for these starting surges.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator?
I couldn’t open the link for the manual. Somewhere in the manual, it probably list the input amps, or minimum circuit size, required.
This amperage, times 240volts, is the input power requirement (measure in VA (volt amps). This is roughly equivalent to the input wattage required from a generator.
Then the question becomes, how fast can the generator react to that (wattage) (starting) demand surge (which is a function of the engine’s governor’s response time and hp/torque curve) and not suffer a (temporary) rpm/voltage dip that significantly effects the welder’s performance.
People often upsize another 30% to compensate for these starting surges.
This was copied from the manual. So at 240V 15A input is minim?
-----------------------------------------------------
Specifications
Product Specifications Cyclone 200ES
Construction Type Inverter (IGBT based, Digital Control)
Input Voltage 120/240V(± 10%) 50/60 Hz
Phase 1 Phase 50/60Hz
I1MAX Current Rating (Inrush Amps) 120V @ 30.2A 240v @ 28.2A
I1EFF Current Rating (Rated Amps) 120V @ 16A 240V @ 15A
OCV 70V
Processes GMAW/FCAW/SMAW
(FCAW requires purchase of optional drive rolls)

Last edited:
   / Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #4  
Lots of variables to this question. Depends some on if you want to run the welder at 1/2 or full capacity. I do a reasonable amount of 14ga tubing out in the woods at 16-18v on the welder running off a 6K watt inverter generator. If you want to weld 3/8 you will need 8-10K watts. Big difference between a generator and an inverter generator. You'll get a headache reading up on all the variables. Good luck.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator?
Lots of variables to this question. Depends some on if you want to run the welder at 1/2 or full capacity. I do a reasonable amount of 14ga tubing out in the woods at 16-18v on the welder running off a 6K watt inverter generator. If you want to weld 3/8 you will need 8-10K watts. Big difference between a generator and an inverter generator. You'll get a headache reading up on all the variables. Good luck.
1/4 inch is my max.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #8  
If you want it to run like in your shop you’ll want a generator capable of this output.

1E950F83-E261-43F9-B92A-782011B4F767.jpeg

If it’s less like the ~ 50% less maximum rated amps, you’ll probably notice it every time you pull the trigger. Unless you are asking less from it. Looks like 1/4” is it’s maximum for single pass. So I’d want the most power to it. If it’s less, it won’t even be able to do that.

029D8C94-2A3A-4EA9-AAB9-89985067BDB4.png

Last edited:
   / Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #9  
Because it's electronically controlled, I'd be careful about what genny I bought. Conventional genny's have a lot of harmonic distortion that may fry the electronics. If it was me, I'd be buying a capable (amperage output) inverter genny. Be apprised however, they aren't a cheap date compared to a conventional 2 pole genny.

/ Cyclone 200ES attached to generator? #10  
This was copied from the manual. So at 240V 15A input is minim?
-----------------------------------------------------
Specifications
Product Specifications Cyclone 200ES
Construction Type Inverter (IGBT based, Digital Control)
Input Voltage 120/240V(± 10%) 50/60 Hz
Phase 1 Phase 50/60Hz
I1MAX Current Rating (Inrush Amps) 120V @ 30.2A 240v @ 28.2A
I1EFF Current Rating (Rated Amps) 120V @ 16A 240V @ 15A
OCV 70V

I1EFF=15A, is the minimum circuit size that should be provided. 240V/15A is 3600 Watts input (this equates to 5hp power input)
The inrush (surge), I1Max, at 240V/28.2A is 6768Watts peak input (this equates to 9hp peak input).
Again, the motor/gen you pick has to make that horsepower/watts at the rated rpm/frequency, the governor has to react and it has the torque to recover.
Going bigger only hurts your wallet.