Daily Driver

/ Daily Driver #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
First - I'd like to think that us TBN'er are a lot alike. Honest, hard workers with a habit of doing and building things on their own. We are also a little obsessed with trucks, equipment and the like. So I'd like some honest opinions about my replacement commuter ideas. I'm torn and not sure which direction I'm going to go yet:

Last year I changed jobs and began commuting some distance and also turned in my company truck. I bought an older Honda CRV with 130K miles and its been great. Very reliable and overall nearly the perfect commuter and work vehicle. But I'm averaging about 50K miles a year, some of it paid and most not paid. I travel all over the northeast for project work and have driven as far out as Indiana this year. This puts it at nearly 300K miles two years from now. That is probably a good replacement goal.

Only a few drawbacks to the CRV:
- Comfort. I'm a big guy and it need at least 2 more inches of leg room.
- I'd like to carry some tools and a few more things in it without the droopy back end and cluttered feel.

So I have been contemplating replacements. One I like is the new GMC Canyon with a Duramax diesel. Looks sweet, has the needed tech (I need hands free calling, have upgrade the CRV with that), has plenty of passenger space and I can haul some tools and light equipment when needed (struggle with that now). But $45K is a lot. The hauling and towing capability are two items that would be notable benefits and the diesel offers those benefits without a loss in efficiency. Price tag, reliability and repair costs are all major drawbacks.

The Ridgeline is a very ugly second choice. Has most of the benefits of the Duramax without the high repair costs. Reliability is likely rock solid too. Price for the low end is reasonable, but fuel efficiency is not really great. Towing is not really there and it is just hideous to look at. And even though its cheap for a new 4 door truck, $30K is still not cheap.

I have been car payment free for long enough that a $500/month payment (for example) is shocking and absurd. According to statistics, its not for most Americans, nor is being behind 3 payments. No thanks.

So I have been obsessed with older square body trucks all of my life and lately have contemplating a Blazer/Jimmy build. And have been thinking about this as daily driver. What would you guys think about a LS swapped Blazer, modern drive train, old school looks and easy repair-ability? I started thinking about a diesel swap and also think with a 4.8 or 5.3L engine, 4L60E and reasonable gears, it would do fairly well on fuel (20ish). The 6.2L diesels can be found in blazers (rare), but were never great on fuel in comparison to the low power and abysmal reliability. This would be a stock-like resto-mod, not a jacked up off roader.

I would love to justify the Blazer build, but common sense says that its unlikely to get power, reliability and efficiency out of a former rust bucket built in my garage. All under the cost of a new rig.

Would love to hear some opinions and feel free to throw out suggestions.
Leo

/ Daily Driver #2  
I have owned an 05, 06, 08, a 2012 F-150, all Supercrews. Great service from all. That is what I would buy if I was not towing heavy. I have a 2000 Dodge CTD for heavy work. Just my opinion.

/ Daily Driver #3  
So I have been obsessed with older square body trucks all of my life and lately have contemplating a Blazer/Jimmy build. And have been thinking about this as daily driver. What would you guys think about a LS swapped Blazer, modern drive train, old school looks and easy repair-ability? I started thinking about a diesel swap and also think with a 4.8 or 5.3L engine, 4L60E and reasonable gears, it would do fairly well on fuel (20ish). The 6.2L diesels can be found in blazers (rare), but were never great on fuel in comparison to the low power and abysmal reliability. This would be a stock-like resto-mod, not a jacked up off roader.

I would love to justify the Blazer build, but common sense says that its unlikely to get power, reliability and efficiency out of a former rust bucket built in my garage. All under the cost of a new rig.

I love the idea, but it's far from practical.

By the time you find a good solid foundation (probably in the SW), get it here, swap out all the drivetrain and suspension to match what we've become accustomed to, re-paint, reupholster, add technology, etc you'd going to be near the cost of something new (of course, you could go way over too if you wanted...). In many ways it will be better than something new, but I personally could never resto-mod a classic and drive it year-round in New England. I won't even drive my 10 year old Porsche in the winter.

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by "square bodied" but I'm guessing mid-late '70s. If I were doing a Blazer/Jimmy I'd do the late '60s-early '70s variety. I had a '72 Jimmy and loved (almost) everything that thing. The only things I didn't like about it were due to the high mileage - three-on-the-tree linkage would jamb if you were't careful, and the 307 burned a quart about every 100 miles at highway speed.

/ Daily Driver #4  
Our 2009 ford explorer daily driver and our weekend drivers.Bought the explorer used 11/24/19 with 82,000 miles original old fart owners for $7,500 bucks.Not great gas mileage V-6 engine around 19 mpg hwy. and 16 city.Easy to get in and out of.

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 195
   / Daily Driver #5  
First - I'd like to think that us TBN'er are a lot alike. Honest, hard workers with a habit of doing and building things on their own. We are also a little obsessed with trucks, equipment and the like. So I'd like some honest opinions about my replacement commuter ideas. I'm torn and not sure which direction I'm going to go yet:

Last year I changed jobs and began commuting some distance and also turned in my company truck. I bought an older Honda CRV with 130K miles and its been great. Very reliable and overall nearly the perfect commuter and work vehicle. But I'm averaging about 50K miles a year, some of it paid and most not paid. I travel all over the northeast for project work and have driven as far out as Indiana this year. This puts it at nearly 300K miles two years from now. That is probably a good replacement goal.

Only a few drawbacks to the CRV:
- Comfort. I'm a big guy and it need at least 2 more inches of leg room.
- I'd like to carry some tools and a few more things in it without the droopy back end and cluttered feel.

So I have been contemplating replacements. One I like is the new GMC Canyon with a Duramax diesel. Looks sweet, has the needed tech (I need hands free calling, have upgrade the CRV with that), has plenty of passenger space and I can haul some tools and light equipment when needed (struggle with that now). But $45K is a lot. The hauling and towing capability are two items that would be notable benefits and the diesel offers those benefits without a loss in efficiency. Price tag, reliability and repair costs are all major drawbacks.

The Ridgeline is a very ugly second choice. Has most of the benefits of the Duramax without the high repair costs. Reliability is likely rock solid too. Price for the low end is reasonable, but fuel efficiency is not really great. Towing is not really there and it is just hideous to look at. And even though its cheap for a new 4 door truck, $30K is still not cheap.

I have been car payment free for long enough that a $500/month payment (for example) is shocking and absurd. According to statistics, its not for most Americans, nor is being behind 3 payments. No thanks.

Would love to hear some opinions and feel free to throw out suggestions.
Leo

I'd rather be sitting in a nice, large, 4-door car than a Blazer/Jimmy for 50K miles per year. Like a 2014 or later Impala. 2013 and before are rental car interiors at best. 2014 and later are much more roomy, cushy, comfy, and get 31 highway, while they still have 300hp if you stomp on it. A daily driver is one thing... I drive a '93 Suburban almost daily. But I only drive about 10-12 miles. You're averaging 190+ miles per day based on 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Those older Blazers/Jimmy trucks are fun, but 50K per year? They don't even have high back seats. No headrests. The arms rests are thin. You'd have to do an interior swap to gain the comfort of a modern car or truck. They SUCK in crosswinds on the highway. An LS swap would be great compared to the 5.7 that'll most likely be in it. I'd bet you get very low 20's MPG. My 93 Suburban gets 18 on the highway with the 5.7 and 4L60E. It also SCREAMS at 75mph, while our 2013 Impala cruises at about 1600rpm.

It would be fun, but highly impractical for your long commutes.

/ Daily Driver
I love the idea, but it's far from practical.

By the time you find a good solid foundation (probably in the SW), get it here, swap out all the drivetrain and suspension to match what we've become accustomed to, re-paint, reupholster, add technology, etc you'd going to be near the cost of something new (of course, you could go way over too if you wanted...). In many ways it will be better than something new, but I personally could never resto-mod a classic and drive it year-round in New England. I won't even drive my 10 year old Porsche in the winter.

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by "square bodied" but I'm guessing mid-late '70s. If I were doing a Blazer/Jimmy I'd do the late '60s-early '70s variety. I had a '72 Jimmy and loved (almost) everything that thing. The only things I didn't like about it were due to the high mileage - three-on-the-tree linkage would jamb if you were't careful, and the 307 burned a quart about every 100 miles at highway speed.

Yep - I like the mid to late seventies the best. But the squares went always up to 91 and later ones are easier to find. A 60s-early 70's version would be sweet, but nearly untouchable in price.

As far as winters, I agree, but this was going to be a functional resto, not exceptional pretty, but all of the rust fixed and painted one color. Was going to use it as an experience builder in autobody repair.

/ Daily Driver
Our 2009 ford explorer daily driver and our weekend drivers.Bought the explorer used 11/24/19 with 82,000 miles original old fart owners for $7,500 bucks.Not great gas mileage V-6 engine around 19 mpg hwy. and 16 city.Easy to get in and out of.

Coobie - I rented a similar Explorer a few years ago and liked it very much. I like that Challenger much better though!

/ Daily Driver #8  
how much do you need to tow? what do you want for MPGs? how much do you want to spend?

diesel grand cherokee

subaru outback/forester

i like the idea, but how easy will it be to work on on the road. will any mechanics be able to(maybe you don't need them too). it will be really easy to go over budget

/ Daily Driver
I'd rather be sitting in a nice, large, 4-door car than a Blazer/Jimmy for 50K miles per year. Like a 2014 or later Impala. 2013 and before are rental car interiors at best. 2014 and later are much more roomy, cushy, comfy, and get 31 highway, while they still have 300hp if you stomp on it. A daily driver is one thing... I drive a '93 Suburban almost daily. But I only drive about 10-12 miles. You're averaging 190+ miles per day based on 5 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Those older Blazers/Jimmy trucks are fun, but 50K per year? They don't even have high back seats. No headrests. The arms rests are thin. You'd have to do an interior swap to gain the comfort of a modern car or truck. They SUCK in crosswinds on the highway. An LS swap would be great compared to the 5.7 that'll most likely be in it. I'd bet you get very low 20's MPG. My 93 Suburban gets 18 on the highway with the 5.7 and 4L60E. It also SCREAMS at 75mph, while our 2013 Impala cruises at about 1600rpm.

Good points Moss. I'd love a large car like the Impala or Crown Vic. Not out of the question, but it does limit the functionality of the car. No towing and limited hauling ability, albiet the same (or better) that my current ride.

True about the ride too. I haven't driven a square body truck for about 10 plus years. The last one is the truck in my signature, and I don't remember it being very comfortable.

I guess my biggest concern is that I could invest two years, thousands of hours building this truck, and have to buy a new reliable car to get to work on time.

/ Daily Driver #10  

I'll 2nd that. Driving a truck or SUV is a lot more expensive than a car. When you are wracking up over 10-20k a year you really optimize for your needs & use case. Go with a car unless you are going off-road or hauling. Putting on less than 10k a year with a mix of needs including towing & you'd be better off with just a truck.

If a vehicle lasts 300k miles that's only a few years. Do you want to burn through a $60k truck, $35k restored vehicle or $15k sedan? Save the cool restored vehicle or truck for better tasks as they are going to cost a lot more to operate ontop of their acquisition price.

You can afford to replace the sedan every few years just off your reduced fuel & maintnance on a truck or restored SUV.