Dash camera advice needed

/ Dash camera advice needed #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I drive 170 miles a day round trip, with my morning commute starting at 5am. I see a lot of crazy driving. Want a dash camera to protect myself in case of an accident, etc. What brand do you recommend?

/ Dash camera advice needed #2  
I'll tell you what NOT to get -
Stay away from "The Original Dash Cam 4SK909X Twister X, Dual Lens," sold by newegg - they sent me one with an old menu that didn't let me loop on recording. Returned it.

/ Dash camera advice needed #3  
I drive 170 miles a day round trip, with my morning commute starting at 5am. I see a lot of crazy driving. Want a dash camera to protect myself in case of an accident, etc. What brand do you recommend?
I bought 2 dash cams the KD links X1. Simple setup good price on amazon $169 per unit.Folks have lost there minds on the roads.

/ Dash camera advice needed #4  
My dash cam is a Vicovation bought in 2014. Works well and glad I have it. I'm sure technology has improved since and there used to be many review sites that were good back then.

/ Dash camera advice needed #5  
I have the kid links as well. I chose it because it functions well below freezing so I don't have to bring it in every night or while I'm at work in winter.
I'm happy with it.

/ Dash camera advice needed #6  
I've switched to hard wired cams. Used the little 808 keychain cameras for a while but the batteries kept swelling up inside them with the heat of being left in the windshield. For the most part I recommend getting a hard wired unit that starts and stops automatically and doesn't have a battery. The best ones record at 1080P in .MOV format. Most all of them record to a micro SD card so you can retrieve the data. They all loop record over old data so best to get a 32 gig class 10 card. That'll hold a couple of days worth or more.

I have two different brands in the same case but they work different. One records AVI files that won't play back in Windows Media Player but I can play them back on my Android head unit in my truck. One thing I like about that one is it records GPS location and speed so if I needed to use the info to prove innocence it would have all the data.

The other is a Road Rover I bought for about $55 off Amazon. It doesn't record location or speed. That unit has gone up in price so I just ordered a couple of new ones with a similar description off ebay. Those cost $17.54 for one and $38.75 for the other. They have identical specs as the Road Rover but one uses a different type case I think might work in the rear window as well as the front. Haven't tried either yet since the first one just arrived today. One or both of these will go in my wife's car.

Here is some footage from the Road Rover.

/ Dash camera advice needed #7  
I bought one off Amazon, a Toguard, never heard of it but it got great reviews and they were right. Tiny thing so I was a bit leary when I got it but the video is great, hi def and has sound.

One to stay away from is a Garmin which is the first one I bought. Dumb me didn't bother checking reviews and there are numerous instances where it would keep rebooting which mine started doing. To add insult to injury, you have to use their power supply, if you don't it won't work. I found that out because I wanted to hard wire it into my truck so I bought a 5V power supply, hooked it up to a switched power source in the fuse panel and....nothing.

One thing to watch is the mount. Mine only came with a suction mount which would work great except the inside of the top of my windshield is textured and the suction wouldn't work. I had to make up a thin piece of aluminum and glue that to the inside of the windshield with double sided tape and mount the suction cup on that......Mike

/ Dash camera advice needed #8  
Anyone using the Apeman products? They appear to have few problems and good support from the reviews on the Interwebs.

/ Dash camera advice needed #9  
My truck was recently stolen and hasn't been recovered. I was mad enough to purchase an Owl Dash Camera for my Suburban. I'm super happy with it so far. It has interior and exterior camera so I can record what I see outside of my windshield but also the interior of my car. I got for the interior feature because I wanted video of anyone breaking into my car.

The camera hard wires to your ODB port and has a cellular connection that uploads video to an app on your cell phone. Installation was incredibly easy and looks very neat. I was able to install it in 3 minutes and you can see a wire. They give you everything you need to do this.

The only negative that I think anyone could give is the price but I didn't mind spending any amount of money for a high quality clean looking camera. Google Owl Camera and you will find it. I'm not allowed to post links in this forum as I am a newbie.

Spence Dilworth
Baton Rouge, LA

/ Dash camera advice needed
My truck was recently stolen and hasn't been recovered. I was mad enough to purchase an Owl Dash Camera for my Suburban. I'm super happy with it so far. It has interior and exterior camera so I can record what I see outside of my windshield but also the interior of my car. I got for the interior feature because I wanted video of anyone breaking into my car.

The camera hard wires to your ODB port and has a cellular connection that uploads video to an app on your cell phone. Installation was incredibly easy and looks very neat. I was able to install it in 3 minutes and you can see a wire. They give you everything you need to do this.

The only negative that I think anyone could give is the price but I didn't mind spending any amount of money for a high quality clean looking camera. Google Owl Camera and you will find it. I'm not allowed to post links in this forum as I am a newbie.

Spence Dilworth
Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks Spence. I work in BR and drive I-12 daily from Covington. I think you can confirm how crazy driving is here.