Dashcams at the border

/ Dashcams at the border #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Apparently, this issue is not well defined, or communicated to the public.

I don't have a 'cam set up on my vehicle yet, but when I do it will be inoperative+covered at a crossing.

Truck News - Truck NewsTruck News

DashCamDocument.jpg

Oct/14 issue, page 9.

I didn't get along well with their on-screen viewer, so have attached a scan of the print version.

Rgds, D.

/ Dashcams at the border
I'm sure the trucker didn't argue at all, but he has a great point about the same border service being on a reality show....

I hate getting blindsided by things I don't know about, so I thought to post this for anybody with a dashcam on a personal or company vehicle. It's a hassle nobody would want to stumble into, esp. driving for a living.

Rgds, D

/ Dashcams at the border #4  
Interesting article. The agent involved seems a bit over the top. No room for discussion at the border, so the trucker did the right thing.

/ Dashcams at the border #5  
The agent involved seems a bit over the top.

She sure was. They, law enforcement, should be required to support any lawful claims they make, just because she thinks doesn't make it illegal or give them the right to detain. I have a dash-cam in my personal vehicle and travel to Canada every two or so weeks for pleasure and once every six months for work. Never a word said on either side of the boarder, I cross between Port Huron and Sarnia.

I know a couple of the boarder offices that work the Detroit side of the crossing, they run a local gun shop, I'll ask them what this was all about.

/ Dashcams at the border #7  
The border (any border) is it's own world. My approach is to agree with everything they say, smile and be polite and get out of there as quickly as possible. There are signs at the US/Canada border that say you can't use a cell phone. Wonder how that's monitored?

/ Dashcams at the border
She sure was. They, law enforcement, should be required to support any lawful claims they make, just because she thinks doesn't make it illegal or give them the right to detain. I have a dash-cam in my personal vehicle and travel to Canada every two or so weeks for pleasure and once every six months for work. Never a word said on either side of the boarder, I cross between Port Huron and Sarnia.

I know a couple of the boarder offices that work the Detroit side of the crossing, they run a local gun shop, I'll ask them what this was all about.

It would be interesting to see what those insiders say. I've worked in secure facilities, so I understand the need for certain rules..... but mostly in those cases they were pretty obvious, or clearly posted in 4" high lettering.

Tried an experiment just now. Using Google streetview, I can "drive" from the USA through the border crossing just south of Winnipeg MB into Canada. Notably, when I "turn around" in MB, and try and drive back to the USA along the same route, there is a Can't Get there From Here jump, approaching the USA. As cited in the article, there is no clear Public Statement about this, @ Oct/14 - but trust Google to get this right.

I'd hate to get tripped up by this myself.... just wanted to kick off this thread as a PSA for other law abiding folks looking for trouble-free border crossings, as Ignorance of the Law doesn't fly, even if it is hidden in the fine print of Section ABC, Sub-section 972, Paragraph 7, Note 3, Clause 2.4za6, Sub-clause 529.392.

Rgds, D.

/ Dashcams at the border #10  
BP here in AZ show up on YouTube all the time and I can see why they want dash cams turned off. You watch some of the videos and it makes you wonder what this country is turning into.