Deer season

/ Deer season
That's legal here in Texas, but you have to work hard to keep the wild hogs away or you will never. See a deer. I have a hot fence around my corn and food plot. The wire is a foot off of the ground and its made a big difference in how many deer show up.

I've never seen a deer actually eating the corn in person, but I have seen hogs eating it more times then I can remember. I'm so bored of shooting hogs that when I see a group at the feeder, I wait until two are perfectly lined up so I can get both of them with one shot. I've only done this twice, so it's still kind of challenging.

Even better is sneaking up real close and shooting as many as possible. My record is 3. One standing and 2 running shots. I've only gotten 3 one time. I have several doubles, but 3 or more is really what I'm trying to do.

We have a lot more hogs then deer. Season is year round, no limit,legal day or night and if you are on private land and the land owner says it's ok, no license is required to shoot them. The goal is to lower their numbers, but so far, nothing is working.

Don't forget to mention that in Texas you can shoot them from a helicopter now too. They want them gone!

I watch a show about pig hunting and they said there are an estimated 4 million wild hogs in Texas. They destroy everything and can have 2 litters a year with an average of 5-6 piglets each time and sometimes they have up to 10 at once.

I also read where Texas holds 75% of the wild hog population in the U.S.

/ Deer season #132  
It's a growing problem. The State is looking into poison, but making sure the animals that eat the carcass wont die has been the issue. I've heard rumors of people that own large ranches using poison and killing hundreds of them with officials not looking into it, but can't say if it's true or not. I did go to a free class put on my the State on how to trap and kill as many as possible. They are putting a lot of energy and tax dollars into it without any apparent success.

/ Deer season #133  
So you can shoot them standing over a pile of corn then ?

Here in Quebec it was illegal to bait with salt, apples or carrots.
\Guess so many got off scot free (What, who me? never did that your honor) that it is no longer enforced.
Only electronic calls are taboo now.

/ Deer season #134  
A little late to the post, but anyway.
Opening day of black powder, about 7:30am EST; I was watching a group of does (5 or so) meander about 75-150 yards from the stand. One of the does decides to leave, and walks towards me She was about 50 yards away when a buck pokes his head our of the treeline (150 yards away) and walks out. For some reason, he decides he likes this doe that's coming my way, ignores the does close to him, and starts to follow her.
I put glass on him, and he was a decent size 6 pointer. Normally, I would not hesitate. Large bucks are exceedingly rare where I hunt. But, I watched him come across the field, several good angles. I just didn't feel like taking him. So, I watched him walk past me into my treeline and go behind my stand. I said to myself I would not mention this to my wife - we were out of venison and she mentioned that fact to me the night before. I was a little embarrassed I did'nt take him.
So just then, another buck poked his head out across the field. I put glass on him, and he was an even bigger 8 pointer. Also just then, the 6 pointer behind me started to snort. So, this 8 pointer looked that way and here he comes.
The voice in my head so I would not be passing on this fella. When he was about 75 yards from me, down he went.

/ Deer season #135  
Nice how things work out some time. Congrats on the 8 pointer!!!

/ Deer season #136  
Took my first deer on my life Sunday! I made a nice little food plot this fall. Has brought some decent deer. I have sat out there 7 times, both morning and evening. The deer have been pretty nocturnal lately. I let a doe with 2 fawns walk last Tuesday, they have been the only deer I have seen on there this year on any of my hunts. My trigger finger was getting itchy. This beautiful doe walked in about 20 minutes after I got settled in. Perfect lung shot, she went about 60 feet and was dead. KIMG0419.JPGKIMG0421.JPG I take a look at the game camera an hour later this guy comes walking through, first time the camera has caught him in daylight hours this yeardownload.jpeg:mur:
Oh well, I am pleased with my first deer and my main goal is a load of venison in the freezer, got that! I am not planning on taking any more does this year, trying to grow the herd. But I will sit some more at a shot at that buck!

/ Deer season
Took my first deer on my life Sunday! I made a nice little food plot this fall. Has brought some decent deer. I have sat out there 7 times, both morning and evening. The deer have been pretty nocturnal lately. I let a doe with 2 fawns walk last Tuesday, they have been the only deer I have seen on there this year on any of my hunts. My trigger finger was getting itchy. This beautiful doe walked in about 20 minutes after I got settled in. Perfect lung shot, she went about 60 feet and was dead. View attachment 629123View attachment 629124 I take a look at the game camera an hour later this guy comes walking through, first time the camera has caught him in daylight hours this yearView attachment 629125:mur:
Oh well, I am pleased with my first deer and my main goal is a load of venison in the freezer, got that! I am not planning on taking any more does this year, trying to grow the herd. But I will sit some more at a shot at that buck!

Glad you got your first deer! Sorry you didn't get to shoot the buck.

I have a policy (unless we need meat) no does in November, the bucks are chasing them too much. We wait until Doecember for does if we need to harvest some.

/ Deer season #138  

I have a policy (unless we need meat) no does in November, the bucks are chasing them too much. We wait until Doecember for does if we need to harvest some.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Trigger finger was definitely getting itchy. I had not seen much on my sits. Now to get my first buck!!

/ Deer season #139  

For my county in Texas, doe ("anterless") season ends the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I think that this also applies to most TX counties. I try to get a doe for the freezer in bow season (October) or soon after the rifle opener (first Saturday of November) and then wait on the right buck.

/ Deer season
For my county in Texas, doe ("anterless") season ends the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I think that this also applies to most TX counties. I try to get a doe for the freezer in bow season (October) or soon after the rifle opener (first Saturday of November) and then wait on the right buck.

It goes out here January 1st, we can kill 2 bucks and 4 does. Where we hunt we are blessed to have more bucks than does at the moment.