Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function?

/ Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function? #1  

stlbill

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 John Deere 2305
Hello,

Should a properly operating 2009 Deere 2305 tractor run, under any circumstances, without someone in the seat?

Long version follows:

I have owned a 2009 Deere 2305 from new. Recently, after shutting it down without issue it would not try to start. A trip to the original selling dealer and on return the seat safety switch works different. I can no longer run the engine unless I am sitting in the seat. Leaving the seat and the engine shuts off even if the PTO is disengaged and the transmission is in neutral.

I am positive the tractor did not work like this when delivered new because I was overly sensitive to warming the engine in the winter. With the key on, I can hear a relay when I press/release on the seat. I don't ever recall hearing that before, but maybe I just was not listening close enough.

I left two messages with the dealer's service department about this a couple of work days ago, but they have not returned my messages. I'm going to try to call again today.

However, reading the owners manual I fear my tractor may have been wrong from day 1.

Can anyone tell me how their 2009 +/- a few years 2305 works? I recall Deere makes a three-point hitch generator for the tractor and I don't see a practical use if someone has to be on the seat to use it.

Thank you in advance!

/ Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function? #2  
Hello,

Should a properly operating 2009 Deere 2305 tractor run, under any circumstances, without someone in the seat?

Long version follows:

I have owned a 2009 Deere 2305 from new. Recently, after shutting it down without issue it would not try to start. A trip to the original selling dealer and on return the seat safety switch works different. I can no longer run the engine unless I am sitting in the seat. Leaving the seat and the engine shuts off even if the PTO is disengaged and the transmission is in neutral.

I am positive the tractor did not work like this when delivered new because I was overly sensitive to warming the engine in the winter. With the key on, I can hear a relay when I press/release on the seat. I don't ever recall hearing that before, but maybe I just was not listening close enough.

I left two messages with the dealer's service department about this a couple of work days ago, but they have not returned my messages. I'm going to try to call again today.

However, reading the owners manual I fear my tractor may have been wrong from day 1.

Can anyone tell me how their 2009 +/- a few years 2305 works? I recall Deere makes a three-point hitch generator for the tractor and I don't see a practical use if someone has to be on the seat to use it.

Thank you in advance!

This is normal for a JD 2305. "I have owned a 2009 Deere 2305 from new. Recently, after shutting it down without issue it would not try to start. A trip to the original selling dealer and on return the seat safety switch works different. I can no longer run the engine unless I am sitting in the seat. Leaving the seat and the engine shuts off even if the PTO is disengaged and the transmission is in neutral.

It sounds like you had a starting problem and the 2305 went to the Dealer for service. The Dealer upon checking found the seat safety switch had been jumpered. He removed the jumper. Now you have the unit back home and are finding it is functionally normally which is causing you problems. Jumping the switch is a SAFETY HAZARD, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH COULD OCCUR. The dealer could not return the unit to you with the Seat Safety Switch Jumpered. If he had he would then be liable for any injury, death or property damage caused by you while using or attempting to use the unit.

Posting information on how to jumper the Seat Safety Switch would place the poster at extreme liability peril also. Sorry if this is not the answer you were seeking, but I am afraid you will have to figure out how to jumper the seat safety switch on your own. Then the only person you can blame for any problems experienced will be yourself.

/ Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function? #3  
No, they must have messed up something on the switch. With the tractor in neutral and the PTO off, the engine should run with no one in the seat. Also, with the PTO engaged, transmission in neutral and the parking brake on, it should run with no one in the seat. The dealer should straighten this out, but I would also check and see if putting the parking brake on allows it to run.

/ Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function?
@Gator6x4 - I reread my post twice and cannot understand how you concluded what you did. Although I was starting to think the tractor worked incorrectly from the time I received it *NEW* 10 years ago.

@KennyD,

I reached the original selling and servicing dealer this afternoon. They are not only going to fix it for free, but they will wait until late July to do it so I won't be without a tractor during peak mowing season. If they did it now I would be without a mower for at least a week.

Thank you!

Last edited:
   / Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function? #5  
Kenny D is right on. Good stuff.

Gator missed something somewhere.

Sounds like a win if you can stand it like it is now.

I'm not a seat safety switch guy. I rely on the trans range selector to disable the tractor so it can't be accidentally started.

/ Deere 2305 Seat Switch Proper Function? #6  
Kenny D is right on. Good stuff.

Gator missed something somewhere.

Sounds like a win if you can stand it like it is now.

I'm not a seat safety switch guy. I rely on the trans range selector to disable the tractor so it can't be accidentally started.

Gator owns a JD 2305 TLB. One of the biggest aggravation I had with the tractor when I got it was the fact I had to be sitting in the seat before I could do anything. I jumpered the seat switch. I now can operated the rear and middle PTO with the tractor in gear and no one on the seat. The tractor can also be started in gear or out of gear. DANGEROUS if you ever forget that. Remember I said rear and middle PTO. I also have a MMM mower for the unit. Now a novice would have the mower going, step off the tractor using the mower for a step and lose a foot.

If I ever send the unit into a Dealer for service I will remove the jumper before sending the unit to the Dealer.