Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat #11  
First, I would clean the prescreen as Woodlandfarms suggested, and then change the fuel filter. If that does not fix your problem, I would do the following;

+1 on changing that cracked fuel line. A little air could go a long way to explaining your engine symptoms. You might want to change everything while you are in there.

In general, on a diesel engine the strategy is to filter first, then pump as this traps the most debris and water. (The water does not get emulsified by the pump.) I can not think of a reason why there would be a pump inserted there for a Deutz engine.

That said, I have no idea if it is a pump or a shut off valve. If it is a pump, I would remove it. If it is a shut off valve, it may have been installed instead of replacing a failed Deutz solenoid that tend to be pricey. If it is a fuel solenoid, you do need an electric fuel shut off somewhere to stop the engine, or you will have to open the hood and manually flip the fuel shut off lever every time that you want to stop the engine. You might want to find that lever before removing the silver gizmo from the fuel line...(back left corner of the engine block.) If it is a flakey solenoid valve, it might also explain your fuel starvation issues. Have you checked the wiring on it to verify that it gets, and keeps, 12V when the engine is running?

Unless you are seeing crud or water in your diesel, probably do not need to prefilter your diesel. If, like Woodlandfarms, you live somewhere damp and rainy, it may also be worth it to upgrade your engine fuel filter to a water blocking filter. Again, the Deutz filtration is both very good and quite tolerant of impurities, assuming that the prefilter gets cleaned regularly and the fuel filter gets changed as needed.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat #12  
I just looked at your picture again, it must be a newer Deutz. Your hoses run slightly different than mine but it is all the same in the end. Also just noticed your dipstick is broke. So is mine. Have yet to get around to ordering anew one.

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat
You guys are awesome!
The update is that the round prefilter at the motor was totally clogged with fine debris.
20200615_084132.jpg

20200615_084134.jpg

Some small disappointments did become evident with this partial repair.
To clean the prefilter I had to buy a fuel line clamp because there is no petcock on my gas tank. ( -1 for P.T. )
The PO placed another filter previous to the prefilter and it must not be very good quality for this much debris to be in the prefilter.
20200615_084208.jpg

I think the debris in the prefilter mesh is very fine rust particles from my tank? My tank is one large welded assembly and I don't think it is coated on the inside as far as I can tell? (Is that another -1 for P.T.?)
20200615_090040.jpg
I need to use the machine now so I am going ahead "as is" cause she runs perfectly again.
In the future, the upgrades that WF, others suggested might be necessary (clean and line the inside of fuel tank, add petcock, etc.).
I will definitely change the weather cracked/old fuel lines as sugessted.

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat #15  
Why don't you wait and see how long it takes for that screen to plug again. You were probably the first person to look at it since the factory put it together and it most likely caught all the assembly debris that is now out of the system or settle in and compact. You should always keep a steel fuel tank at full because any part above the fuel level will collect moisture and rust. This is common with all equipment and where you can get water in your fuel. That is reason for plastic type tanks.

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat #16  
Congratulations on finding the problem! Nice photos: that is a slick looking fuel line clamp. I cheat and use a vice grips, with padding on the jaws.

PT put in a prefilter to the prefilter on my machine, but it is pretty coarse and really only catches huge stuff, like fuel line shavings.

In my limited experience, there seem to be more than a few Deutz owners who do not know about the prefilter. So, +1 on it being possible that you are the first person to clean it, and that represents years of gunk accumulating. If the inside of tank looks clean, I think that you should be in good shape with a cleaned prefilter and a new fuel filter.

All the best,

Peter

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat #17  
I’ll get you pictures if you want but I had water in my tank and it effected both filters constantly. I ended up cutting a hatch on my tank so I could scrub it out then I put in some POR paint. That was a huge save for me. So what was the gold and silver device with the wires?

/ Deutz 4 cyl. diesel start, stall, run slow, stop, repeat #18  
Hey ptm. Just looked at your pictures. Did you buy a new PRE filter for this one or re use it? I ask because it seems a bit rough and the bottom looks like it would have a hard time sealing. And to that did you replace your main fuel filter? If so did you cut open the first? When I was having my rust issue I cut open my filter. It was shocking to see how much debris was in it. But I also cut open all my filters on all of my machines.

I need to run machine while the weather is good and I am super busy right now.
Have not changed the filters. Reused the old prescreen at the engine after cleaning.

When I get more time, I will replace and cut the filters to check.

Gold canister is a fuel filter and the silver block is a fuel pump.
Didn't get to testing that as the prefilter cleaning worked to get the machine going again. If the fuel pump is not working, it allows enough fuel to pass through it so that the machine runs perfectly.

Future testing will involve figuring out if the silver fuel pump from the PO is doing anything, filters, lines etc.?
Will update as I have time to work on the repairs.

Plan now is to see how long she runs with the cleaned prescreen.

Well it was about 4 minutes that it ran perfect. Then same thing. Motor slows way down, then dies out. Let it sit for a minute, starts right up and then repeats.
Going to have to go through the entire fuel system.
Don't have enough time to work on it right now as I'm to busy with my regular job.

Wish there was a P.T. mobile guy to call for repairs.