Dialects, got to love them

/ Dialects, got to love them #51  
Some people generally seem to confuse fiction with life....
...just for the record...some people confuse the term dialect with what is actually just colloquial vernacular...

Like down here in the true south...we call that hominy/corn dish served at breakfast (and other meals) that is usually served with butter and sometimes cheese is called "Grey-its"...

/ Dialects, got to love them #52  
Have had my talk ridiculed most of my life.
Im ok with it.
Last place I worked before retiring was pretty bad. My manager, the first day was asking me things like what do you call what a chicken lays and what do you call those things you stand on. She was a hoot but a co worker tried to constantly correct my english. One day in a meeting I informed them that our fork lift needed new tars to which my co worker said dont you mean tires and I showed her my meeting agenda where I had wrote
Replace fork lift TARS.
Manager busted out laughing co worker not so much.

While working as a construction superintendent the controlling partner would call me on speaker phone so his cohorts could listen to me. He would call from various bars around the country asking me questions that according to him my country ass would know. Most memorable one was do people really eat possums. I told him I had a neighbor that would eat the nasty ass things.
Got a call from the partners to meet them at a bar one afternoon to meet a saleslady they were thinking of using so she could hear me talk. I was setting there nursing a coke and looking at my watch when somewhere in her 4th apple martini she looked at me and said, Im not sleeping with you tonight. Other than the introductions I had not even spoke to her. I was tired and wanted to go home anyway.

/ Dialects, got to love them #53  
Couple years ago, never forget down around Atlanta for technical training with some customers. Class ended on Friday and there was a bunch of us from my neck of the woods. One guy brought his wife down, and they were staying overnight so his wife could check out some of the shopping. Another guy was staying for the state fire, which had me perplexed, so I asked him where they were getting the wood for a state fire, and we both looked dumbfounded, and then had a good laugh when I realized (actually mentioned about another "NC local" he meant state fair.

Last week, I met my new direct supervisor, who flew down from Boston. We're talking with another employee (born and bred in NC) and my supervisor starts asking me about pots. I'm thinking to myself what the heck does pots have anything to do with our business, and I look at my co worker, and he has the same kind of expression I do. Turns out my superviosr was talking about "parts".

I use to live on Cape Cod as a kid. Lost that accent a LONG time ago. Genearlly can pick up a New York city (or surrounding area) or Jersey accent even if someone has lived in NC as long as I have (20 years).

Made me think about how quick one can lose or gain an accent, and at what age plays a variable in the equation.

I took my boss out to eat with a customer, I was going to do Mexican, but my boss mentioned isn't NC known for BBQ? Dawned on me he wanted to eat "local". I've been in NC way to long I guess as it was interesting having our customer explain the menu to the guy from New England and the things I take for granted now (BBQ slaw is NOT like cole slaw as you'd expect it from up North as one example and my boss mentioned that they know how to make sweet tea up north 🤣 ).

Couple years ago, never forget down around Atlanta for technical training with some customers. Class ended on Friday and there was a bunch of us from my neck of the woods. One guy brought his wife down, and they were staying overnight so his wife could check out some of the shopping. Another guy was staying for the state fire, which had me perplexed, so I asked him where they were getting the wood for a state fire, and we both looked dumbfounded, and then had a good laugh when I realized (actually mentioned about another "NC local" he meant state fair.

Last week, I met my new direct supervisor, who flew down from Boston. We're talking with another employee (born and bred in NC) and my supervisor starts asking me about pots. I'm thinking to myself what the heck does pots have anything to do with our business, and I look at my co worker, and he has the same kind of expression I do. Turns out my superviosr was talking about "parts".

I use to live on Cape Cod as a kid. Lost that accent a LONG time ago. Genearlly can pick up a New York city (or surrounding area) or Jersey accent even if someone has lived in NC as long as I have (20 years).

Made me think about how quick one can lose or gain an accent, and at what age plays a variable in the equation.

I took my boss out to eat with a customer, I was going to do Mexican, but my boss mentioned isn't NC known for BBQ? Dawned on me he wanted to eat "local". I've been in NC way to long I guess as it was interesting having our customer explain the menu to the guy from New England and the things I take for granted now (BBQ slaw is NOT like cole slaw as you'd expect it from up North as one example and my boss mentioned that they know how to make sweet tea up north 🤣 ).
The guy who called parts pots reminds me of someone I knew who used called a cart a "cot"
There was a guy from the NC mountains who cslled tires " tars". I've read it's common up there.
My father and his family were from a largely Scotts Irish area in the low country of SC and I always wondered where they got their distinctive pronunciations. Last year, I heard one of those pronunciations, on youtube and contacted the presenter to ask if he was from Northern Ireland, the place where I'm told the Scotts Irish lived before coming here. Sure enough, he's from Ulster.

/ Dialects, got to love them #55  
The guy who called parts pots reminds me of someone I knew who used called a cart a "cot"
There was a guy from the NC mountains who cslled tires " tars". I've read it's common up there.
My father and his family were from a largely Scotts Irish area in the low country of SC and I always wondered where they got their distinctive pronunciations. Last year, I heard one of those pronunciations, on youtube and contacted the presenter to ask if he was from Northern Ireland, the place where I'm told the Scotts Irish lived before coming here. Sure enough, he's from Ulster.
my grandmother was from belfast. i couldn't understand squat and the problem was, she would smack you just because she thought you were messing with her.

The car jumped over the mon was...

the cow jumped over the moon.

Robin Williams played a pretty good scotsman both in his description of golf (hilarious and accurate) and in the movie, i married an ax murderer....something like that.

I remember in the movie at the wedding the bag pipe player passed out drunk and the very scottish dad started yelling...A piper is down......very funny

/ Dialects, got to love them #57  
Aussies are infamous for dropping an 'r' in their pronunciations; Cairns is pronounced 'Cans'. (Not to be confused with the film festival place 'Cannes') Anyway...

I was having my motorcycle worked on whilst I was at work and went to their Showroom to pay for it. It turned out that their workshop was a few 'doors' down the road at the "ca-pa". The what? The "ca-pa".

Oh, the car park. <I still chuckle about that>
Like "Melbun" for Melbourne".

/ Dialects, got to love them #58  
Singaporeans are bad about picking up the worst of the way English pronounce English and adding their own.

We once asked a Singaporean where some place was. We took a while to sort out what he said. He said, "Out behind tha cah pahk." Behind the car park.

/ Dialects, got to love them #60  
I call internet myth on all the versions.
…..
2 ….. We've never had an invader on our soil, in part due to geography. People tend to forget that the French were and are still very grateful for the help they recieved during WW2.

Do you mean a FORIEGN invader? Most Americans witnessed our capital building being invaded and taken over by violence on Jan 6 2021.

Also the British invaded during the War of 1812.