Did that really happen?

/ Did that really happen? #1  

TreeToad

Tractor
MF GC1705
Been changing my own oil since, well since the beginning of oil itself. Always double check my work. The last 8 qt synthetic oil change I expected to be like the rest. Drain plug pulled and filter removed. Everything wiped clean and inspection showed no gasket stuck in place. Spun the $u?o!a(o@ filter on, hand tightened and finished with a filter wrench the last 1/4 turn. Filled it with the necessary 8 quarts. Hopped in the truck to update my maintenance log and fired it up. What’s that I hear? Sounds like a waterfall no a fire hose fully charged and spraying. I’m guessing 15 seconds was all it took to blow 7 1/2 quarts pretty much everywhere. Took a filter wrench to remove the leaking filter. Could see virtually no difference between the old and new filter. Put each filter back on and found the leaker bottomed out 1 full turn before the non leaking one and for no obvious reason. My Purolator Pure1 adventure will be my last Purolator Pure Mess.

Attachments

• 4B97F367-E54C-4DB2-AB69-1BDD475B9609.jpeg
    4B97F367-E54C-4DB2-AB69-1BDD475B9609.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 116
   / Did that really happen? #2  
Bad threads that didn’t let it seat? Bet you spent more time cleaning up the mess than anything else.

/ Did that really happen? #3  
Are you sure it's a defective filter and not the nipple the filter mounts on? I had that happen on one of my Kubota's recently. Removed the old filter and went to screw on the new one and noticed there was a slight gap between the filter gasket and the base on the block. Removed the filter and the nipple that the filter threads on had come out a bit so I tightened it back in and all was good and yes I use Kubota filters.

Never seen any filter that wasn't threaded all the way through the mounting top stamping. You need to check your mounting nipple to make sure it's screwed in all the way...

/ Did that really happen? #4  
He said that he put the old one back on… I’m betting that the filter base was changed from previous?

/ Did that really happen? #5  
1972 - bought a brand new Jeep J20. Got it home and the automatic transmission filter ruptured as I pulled in my driveway. A real mess that was corralled with many of my wifes bath towels.

Dealership picked up the unit - checked it all out - new filter, new oil and entire engine compartment was steam cleaned. Assumption - defective filter. No further problems.

Our only cost - many new bath towels.

/ Did that really happen? #6  
You dont need to use a wrench to put a new filter on. Oil the so ring and hand tighten it. There are very few can style filters I have ever used a wrench to install and none in a light/medium duty application

/ Did that really happen? #7  
At least it let loose immediately, and not after getting on the highway!
Still quite the mess though.

/ Did that really happen? #8  
Are you sure it's a defective filter and not the nipple the filter mounts on? I had that happen on one of my Kubota's recently. Removed the old filter and went to screw on the new one and noticed there was a slight gap between the filter gasket and the base on the block. Removed the filter and the nipple that the filter threads on had come out a bit so I tightened it back in and all was good and yes I use Kubota filters.

Never seen any filter that wasn't threaded all the way through the mounting top stamping. You need to check your mounting nipple to make sure it's screwed in all the way...

WOW! I had exactly that same problem with our M59 TLB Kubota.

The hydraulic filters screw on vertically up from the bottom beneath the tractor. Tough to grab onto filters to get them off, as the tops are flush with the surroundings... but anyway, when I started to put the new hydraulic filter on I noticed that the nipple that it threads onto was loose. I unscrewed that fitting with my fingers and it fell out in my hand. The mounting nipple for the filter is nothing but a common plumbing nipple a couple of inches long with nothing special to keep it screwed into the tractor.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be an even bet whether unscrewing the filter unscrews the nipple or not. An absoutely terrible design. I'm surprised it doesn't cause more failures than we've heard. Maybe it does.....

It's pretty much inaccessible, but to improve things I cleaned out the threads with thinner, added industrial locktite, and put the nipple back into the block using lots of torque. But I still don't trust it. Never will.....

rScotty

/ Did that really happen? #10  
1972 - bought a brand new Jeep J20. Got it home and the automatic transmission filter ruptured as I pulled in my driveway. A real mess that was corralled with many of my wifes bath towels.

Dealership picked up the unit - checked it all out - new filter, new oil and entire engine compartment was steam cleaned. Assumption - defective filter. No further problems.

Our only cost - many new bath towels.
I remember a long time ago (not so fondly) that the dealership I bought my Chevelle at did my first oil change and didn't tighten the oil filter. I caught it because the car was smoking from the oil burning off the exhaust manifold.

Then there was the heavy truck dealership I retired from that one of the technicians forgot to tighten the drain plug on a road tractor in for service. That 'shot' cost them a new Caterpillar engine. You run a diesel out of oil going down the road, by the time the 'lights' come on, the motor is junk