Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #1  

Rmally

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK 55 Hydro
Hey folks,

Soon to be first time tractor owner, what have y'all done for tractor parking? Shed, pole barn, pre-fab unit, carport, etc.

Thanks for any input.....if you have some pictures I'd love to see them.

FYI....I'm planning on a cab and probably anywhere from a 35hp to 55hp. Just don't want it to sit out in the weather.

Oops, just found the search window and saw some great designs. Feel free to delete this post.

Last edited:
   / Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #2  
Are you looking for something temporary, or permanent? If permanent, I'd go with a pole barn and build it twice as big as you think you need. Pole barns go up quickly and are suitable for 1-2 man crews.

I did a 20x20 and later added a 12x16 addition. It will serve me fine but I should have gone twice as big from the very beginning. May add another addition at some point, perhaps with open sides, to store implements and free up more space inside.

IMG_1540.jpg IMG_8101.jpg

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #3  
The old barn was here long before me and holds the big tractors. The pole barn houses my workshop and was built 2 years before my current home by a friend that builds them for a living, it houses the smaller internationals. A pre fab shed for the little JD purchased on the spur of he moment because I was looking to compare costs and was offered a great deal on it and happened to have a trailer on the truck that could haul it right then and there. My DK sits inside the garage most of the time simply because the wife uses it most and the garage is attached. The garage and pole barn are both heated provided I cut enough wood and didn’t get lazy and let the fire go out. The garage is heated by the same stoaker that heats the house so it’s always warm there.

Many homes are built with garage doors that won’t accept the height of a larger cab tractor so it will be important to make sure of what you have to begin with. Pre fab garages will start to cost more than building once you start adding the height to fit a 55 hp tractor, but some of the steel frame ones I have seen come set up with doors that will work for the average 55 hp size machine for a very reasonable cost and some are of very reasonable quality for the cost.
Your best bet will be to shop around what is available in your area

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #4  
I hired a local high school teacher during the summer to help me build this. With the ground prep, slab and 9' overhead door it cost about $13k. It's 24 x 24 w/ 10' walls. Five years on I could use more space for attachments.

558194_520393444641050_1172388787_n.jpg

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #5  
I bought the tarp that covers my tractor now. But if all goes well I will be building a shed to house it and some other stuff this spring. This site and others have a wealth of designs to pick and choose from.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #6  
I originally put a 12 x 20 lean-to shed on the back of my barn to house my, at that time, JD 350 dozer. It has since housed my first Kubota L4630, and now the M. Electricity on site when I need to plug it in.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #7  
The lowest cost and quickest option is a metal car shed type unit. It will get you in the dry quicker. If I had the time and budget I would prefer a pole building. I'm using old pole barns and sheds for my tractors and implements that need to be kept in the dry. Those old buildings are over 60 years old and need occasional repair of tin for the roof and such but still serve my needs well. My workshop is a metal car shed that was converted to a building by my father to house his camper. It is 45x20x14.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #8  
I bought a 40' shipping container. I just fit inside with ROPS folded.

Being the brilliant guy that I am I figured get a 40' instead of a 20' so I could also store all the implements inside too. Great idea until I tried & realized I'm emptying the thing one piece at a time to get to whatever is at the back. 6' stuff can't pass other 6' stuff inside an 8' box :) But I did manage to find other stuff to store in it and really like it. Couldn't build or buy any other type structure that's waterproof, mouseproof!, and secures reasonably well for the $. Really fast too - order it, get it in a couple days, took all of 15 min to have it off the rollback, in position, and leveled on blocks.

Not hard to add a lean-to roof. Another member here posted a great build with 2 parked next to each other and a roof built to cover the space between them. That made a huge covered area + lots of dry storage. I put a gutter on mine and collect rainwater from it. Lot you can do with them.

Of course if you choose a cab, that rules out a container. A lot of basic carports too - the RV style would work.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #9  
In 2012 when I got the ck27, I set up a 13x20' shelter logic garage in a box. It has been the ONLY shelter for the Kioti since then. It is good, but a pole barn would be better.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #10  
I built a post and beam "shed" out of rough sawn lumber. It's 20x18 with a 20x8 overhang to put the skidsteer under. ( tractor goes inside ) it was a fun project but a lot of work. Stick framing would have been easier and lighter. ..but the P&B looks so cool. ��