Diesel Additive - which one, and how much?

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #21  
For those that use power server.

Does anyone use Bio Kleen or Clear-Diesel on a regular basis to prevent issues?
Regular basis? No. Whenever I fill the tank every year or 2, yes. Pretty sure you only need the additive in there to prevent growth. Not to continually add it. Different story & treatment plan if you are killing off "algae" vs preventing it in the first place.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #22  
On top of biocide I also run a 10 micron particulate filter which was actually pretty easy to plumb into my 40 gallon tank. I'm probably more proactive than I need to be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-113800.png
    Screenshot_20211024-113800.png
    556 KB · Views: 95
  • KIMG0278.JPG
    KIMG0278.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
   / Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #23  
I started using Howes after project farm showing it had pretty good anti gel properties for the cost. Especially since we're in transition between summer diesel and winter blend right now.
Been using Howes for 13 yrs since new purchase of current tractor. Dealer service recommended the product & mentioned a lot of truckers used the same here in the midwest/south. Lubricity is key too in the equation of low sulfur fuel

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #24  
Regular basis? No. Whenever I fill the tank every year or 2, yes. Pretty sure you only need the additive in there to prevent growth. Not to continually add it. Different story & treatment plan if you are killing off "algae" vs preventing it in the first place.
What I meant was preventive. I have a number of 5 gallon cans I have to keep full. I generally treat each can with PS silver/white when I fill them up. What I'm wondering is if I should do the same with either of these other two products (Bio Kleen, Clear-Diesel). I'd personally rather spend a little money and prevent something even if the risk is small than to find out I have a problem because something goes wrong.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #25  
I was just checking the dosage listed for the 12oz PS white bottle and above 0 deg it was 1.5oz per 5 gal and for below 0 deg F it is 3oz per 5 gal.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #26  
A couple of points I want to make. I see lubricity brought up a lot. That’s probably important on older machines but not on newer tractors that are designed to run on low sulfur diesel.

Biodiesel for all its potential issues tests out the best for lubrication in diesel. There is some pretty good stuff out there if you do a search on diesel additives. Power Service didn’t perform too well as I recall. There is also a good test on the anti gel property’s of the additives.

I personally can only get bio diesel at the pumps. There is kind of a vague sticker on the pump saying the percentage can vary. I’ve had it gel using Howes. It’s was cold for several days, near zero and tractor was in a unseated garage. Kerosene is the best anti gel additive in my opinion but probably does need an additive for lubrication as it is dryer than diesel. I only use it when it gets near zero. Should not be a problem for the OP in Texas with gelling.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #27  
It regularly get down to minus 40 here and I've never had a fuel issue, but I put Howes in for the added lubricity and a slight cetane boost as a bonus. And my tanks at home are filled before the number 1 treated winter fuel comes out.

I've replied to these additive threads a few times because I like to promote Howes because of the experience I had with it. I used to run Power Service in my class 8 trucks and my Powerstroke. One time while travelling through Indiana I had two injectors stick and quit working in my Powerstroke. Ford dealer couldn't get me in but said I was safe to drive it back home. Stopped at a truck stop to get fuel and wanted to put conditioner in. They only had Howe's. I knew nothing about it and never used before. I put it in and after 10 minutes on the freeway those injectors unstuck and truck ran perfect again. That was enough to make me switch to Howe's.

As far as cetane increase, they claim it but I never notice a power or MPG increase with Howe's or Power Service.
BUT....Caterpillar fuel treatment, I got a definite increase in throttle response and power when using it. But it was expensive. Like the shop manager at my local Caterpillar dealer once said to me "I'm like a drug dealer. I give you the first bottle for free, now you are hooked."

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #28  
I am in the Midwest and usually only gets in the teens, and not for very long at a time. I add Sta-bil to prevent gel and Stanadyne Performance as fuel treatment. I use VIP Racing 5 gal cans and treat before fueling the tractor. Stanadyne was recommended by the tractor deal that sold the tractor. The dealer also instructed me to not use Biodiesel, and it also states that in the Kubota manual. But most places sell bio and I am careful to avoid buying it.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #29  
I live in Middle TN, so we have high humidity all year, and the low for this year was 7, but that was a day only. I use Dee-zol from Bell Performance products. I haven't used any others, so I can't comment to better or worse. I found this chart helpful when I was looking for an additive, but it is from Bell....so of course it is going to slant in their favor. I fill with a 55 gallon drum which I cycle through a few times a year. I may not need the additives, but considering that it costs me $3-4 to treat each 55 gallon drum, the cost is negligible and even if it doesn't help, I really don't think it will hurt. I also have dual filters after the pump; a Goldenrod 496-5 water blocking filter with 17 micron filtration, and then a Goldenrod 470-5 10 micron filter before the hose. I got both filters with clear bowls for $64 shipped on amazon plus a few pieces of 1" NPT pipe to connect them between the pump/hose.
Diesel_add_comparison_infographic_internal_0516[1].jpg

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #30  
I use Sta-Bil Diesel formula - mostly to prevent water accumulation and prevent deterioration due to heat.

Not using any biocides as I'm using 5 gallon cans so losing/discarding a can or two isn't as painful on the wallet, though they generally aren't sitting long (maybe 2-3 months at most) before being emptied/used.

Single biggest biggests reason I'm using anything is due to the humidity and the fact I'm storing the diesel in a shed that can routinely reach 100°F+ during the summer (most recommendations I've seen for long term fuel storage suggest storing it below 70°F)