Diesel algae issue ?

/ Diesel algae issue ? #11  
I have been using biocide for years and I still get gunk growing in my 5 gal plastic tanks. The best way I found to clean them out is with soap and high pressure water. I'm hoping that I will not have to drop the tractor's tank and clean it too.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #12  
I have been using biocide for years ......
At least you can get biocide. I went looking ( I live in Nova Scotia) a couple of years ago for an algicide as a pre-emptive measure for my tractor as I don't use it a lot therefore it sits and doesn't go thru a lot of fuel. Nada, can't find it in NS, if you find it online it either won't ship or you have to get a second mortgage to buy it.

Last edited:
   / Diesel algae issue ? #13  
My tanks is plastic. All the places around me claim 10% bio fuel . Looks like I’m going to get me an account at the coop and get red fuel .

It doesn’t matter the co-op doesn’t have a refinery. My co-op bounces between marathon and bp fuel every load they can’t guarantee the percentage of bio but state it’s a variable between b3 and b20

/ Diesel algae issue ? #14  
Why anyone runs on road ULSD is beyond me. In this state (Michigan), off road red diesel is exempt from road use tax so it's always about 45 cents a gallon less than on road. None of it's cheap today (and I'm not getting into that because politics are a big no here) but suffice to say, I just dropped 400 gallons of off road red in my bulk tank to the tune of $4.99 a gallon. You do the math, I just hand over my credit card... Also, I don't suspect it will get any cheaper, will most likely increase in price. This economy and all the goods and services you get basically runs on diesel fuel. Don't take an Einstein to figure out why inflation is what it is...

/ Diesel algae issue ? #15  
Why anyone runs on road ULSD is beyond me. In this state (Michigan), off road red diesel is exempt from road use tax so it's always about 45 cents a gallon less than on road. None of it's cheap today (and I'm not getting into that because politics are a big no here) but suffice to say, I just dropped 400 gallons of off road red in my bulk tank to the tune of $4.99 a gallon. You do the math, I just hand over my credit card... Also, I don't suspect it will get any cheaper, will most likely increase in price. This economy and all the goods and services you get basically runs on diesel fuel. Don't take an Einstein to figure out why inflation is what it is...

I agree I only use red in equipment $4.99is a little steep on road I’d $4.69 at the pump here red is around $4.19 to4.39 depending on where I go

/ Diesel algae issue ? #16  
I really can’t get off road diesel here. As far as I know there is one place that sells it. Unfortunately their setup is for filling large tanks so they won’t fill 5 gallon cans since it comes out of the nozzle so quickly.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #17  
I really can’t get off road diesel here. As far as I know there is one place that sells it. Unfortunately their setup is for filling large tanks so they won’t fill 5 gallon cans since it comes out of the nozzle so quickly.
Every dispensing nozzle I've seen can be throttled back. I get my ORD at a local farm supply outlet and yes it has a high volume nozzle as well but I can still throttle it back.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #18  
Something to keep in mind when dosing any storage or tractor fuel tank with a biocide like Bio-Kleen is that it will kill the microbial algae but the 'remains' of the microbes 'exoskeletons' remain so they will still clog fuel filters and strainers in the fuel system and must be cleaned (and filters changed), most likely numerous times, depending on the severity of the algae growth. All a biocide does is it stops new growth, the old, dead stuff is still in there.

/ Diesel algae issue ? #19  
5030, what the place that sells off road diesel is really saying they don’t want to mess with 5 gallon cans. It’s called FS and they probably most deal with people that buy 100 gallons or more at a time.

/ Diesel algae issue ?
Something to keep in mind when dosing any storage or tractor fuel tank with a biocide like Bio-Kleen is that it will kill the microbial algae but the 'remains' of the microbes 'exoskeletons' remain so they will still clog fuel filters and strainers in the fuel system and must be cleaned (and filters changed), most likely numerous times, depending on the severity of the algae growth. All a biocide does is it stops new growth, the old, dead stuff is still in there.

I’m going to pick me up about 1/2 a dozen filters . They are cheap. I treated my tank yesterday., just haven’t ran it yet .