Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #11  
Re: Diesel fuel in plastic \"gas\" cans

<font color="blue"> I couldn't find a DIESEL can, so I use a blue Kerosene can for storing my diesel. </font>

I wonder if you could just get some yellow spray paint and spray your blue cans yellow? I got my yellow cans at Wal*Mart.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #12  

I put my diesel fuel in a red can and I live in NY. That is very unusual there is no law against that here because there is a law for everything else. It's probably in the making..........

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #13  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I couldn't find a DIESEL can, )</font>

The TSCs here sell diesel cans. They are yellow. I thought all diesel cans had to be yellow? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #14  

They make colored cans for a reason.
I bought 3 Yellow diesel cans at TSC. Makes life a lot easier rather than tape, marking etc. to distinguish. NO difference in the material used.
When I have 2 empty, I go and fill-up. That way I never run out. G

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #15  

I agree that you want a can that will only be used for diesel. Red ones you never really know. Yellow ones are diesel only. Using a properly color coded can helps reduce mistakes. I do NOT believe there is any difference in the plastic other than the dye, but could be wrong.

I would have a yellow can if I could find one at a reasonable price. I paid 8 bucks for the red one I use at home depot. The only yellow one I can find is 50 bucks for a 5 gallon plastic one. I will live with a red one with a big "D" written with a marksalot for 42 bucks, but as far as I know, we don't have any laws against putting diesel in red cans with a D on them here in california. Though, I wouldn't put it past the nuts in sacremento...

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

Thanks to all - seems to me that red cans aren't a problem unless you don't mark them. Mine are well marked so I know it's not going to be a problem, plus I couldn't find the yellow cans in CT so that's why I'm using the red.

I certainly hope there aren't any "lawmakers" reading these posts or it looks like several states will end up with more nutty laws. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #17  

Drove past the local Gas Station and checked their pumps. They all had a sign that said it is unlawful to put gas in any container other than approved for gas. The Kerosene pump said that Kerosene could only be pumped into approved <font color="blue"> Blue </font> containers. This pump had been the Diesel pump and had the original sticker removed. Asked the attendant what was the policy on Diesel pumping. The response was if they caught someone pumping into a <font color="red"> Red </font> container they would ask them to stop and get the correct container. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #18  

Ronjhall,
I guess they would not like me then! I fill up my 35gal. blue poly barrel as it sits in the back of my Caravan! And it doesn't say diesel on it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Of course the guys working at BJ's club aren't the brightest bulbs in the box! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #19  

Von

I did not stop at the station where I was asked to not fill my <font color="red"> RED </font> cans with Diesel again. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Even though they had DIESEL written on them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

They pointed out the sticker on the pump. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I could not find any <font color="yellow"> YELLOW </font> cans. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So I used my <font color="blue"> BLUE </font> Kerosene cans with no complaints until I found some <font color="yellow"> YELLOW </font> cans. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #20  

The "Spirit of the law" is to protect the user from putting a higher flash point fuel (gasoline) into a lower flash point utilizing piece of equipment (diesel / kero). The service stations complaining about putting diesel into red cans are likely enforcing some code, but missing the boat. Before I installed a transfer tank in my truck I used red, yellow, and blue for diesel, but never put gasoline in anything but a red can. As far as the plastic, I have never heard of any difference in the 3 colors.