Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #31  
Re: Diesel fuel in plastic \"gas\" cans

That particular fuel can is self-venting thru the nozzle. I have one and it works just fine.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #32  

"That particular fuel can is self-venting thru the nozzle. I have one and it works just fine. "

Me too. It empties a little slow, but no problem.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #33  

i used to use our same cans for gas and diesel since when i used them for diesel i came home and poured it in right away so there was no confusion as to what was in them, well the way my tractors filler is you cant get the last cup or two of diesel outa the can, so i had forgoten one time and needed some gas for my little motor scooter, poured the last bit from the can in there which was about a half tank in the little honda scooter, headed up the road and it ran great then started smoking real bad and smelled like a diesel truck, that was when i realized what i had done, no harm to the scooter but it kept the mesquitos away for a while. after that i set up a beer keg with an electric fuel pump and a 10 ft hose for diesel, it works nice, put it in the truck and fill it up with 15 gallons of diesel and take it home and clip the pump wires to the battery and in about 5 minutes its all pumped into the tractor tank, no lifting involved and since its stainless steel no worries about rusting inside, only downside is that ya sure get some funny looks at the gas station when your holding the diesel nozzel filling a beer keg /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #34  

Ahhh.....just imagine a tractor that runs on beer.....it would have to run on cold beer only though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mmmmm......Beer.

Dave

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #35  

I think someone may be yanking your chain. The only reason I know of to us ethe yellow diesel ( blue for kero, and black for oil ).. is for identification.. and possibly some legal issues.

Also.. in florida.. if you are a business.. you have to have a metal can for gas.. however blue/yellow/black plastic jugs are ok for diesel, kero, and oil.. etc.

Our company found this out during an osha inspection.. some of the supers' had a few plastic red jugs they used to haul a few gallons of diesel around in... Osha man said that if we did that.. they had to say 'diesel' only... in big letters.. or it was illegal... We complied...
( we already used the metal red ones for gas.. etc.. )

Soundguy

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

OK..I did a bit more research. The BIG deal is storing diesel in steel cans that are not "specially coated for diesel fuel storage" because of the zinc. Below are some quotes from websites I found and the corresponding links. Thanks again all...

Don't store diesel fuel in containers that were previously used for gasoline or other solvent unless the containers are carefully cleaned. Fine rust and dirt, which will quickly settle out of gasoline, will mix readily with the diesel fuel and cause damage.

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_handle_fuel_care

Store diesel fuel in plastic, aluminum, and steel containers specially coated for diesel fuel storage

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMT184691_19/TX_45_JC1772_19_08JAN97_1.htm

IMPORTANT: Diesel fuel stored in galvanized containers reacts with zinc coating on the container to form zinc flakes. If fuel contains water, a zinc gel will also form. The gel and flakes will quickly plug fuel filters and damage fuel injectors and fuel pumps.

DO NOT USE a galvanized container to store diesel fuel.
Store fuel in:
plastic containers
aluminum containers
specially coated steel containers made for diesel fuel
DO NOT USE brass-coated containers: brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMT184691_19/MX_FLBT_C_19_04JUN90_1.htm

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #37  

Bob,
<font color="blue"> we've been selling gas cans to them for at least 20 years </font>
And you can't order a YELLOW one??
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #38  

Wal Mart sells them for around $5. 86 the yeller ones that is . a dollar more than the red ones.
the only time i use my red marked diesel one is when i am going to be at our remote farm and need extra diesel.

plus i keep the diesel cans in a seperate building. i guess that helps a little bit????

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #39  

I have the same yellow self-venting can as you, and as long as I make sure to pull the filler all the way back it fills just fine. If it's only open about 1/2, it doesn't suck in the air properly and stops and starts. It's a great tank, bought at my tractor dealer's, but I don't remember how much. Seems like it was around $8. I still have the red one I was using, but now I fill the yellow one from my two 55 gallon metal drums of diesel. John

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #40  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bob,
<font color="blue"> we've been selling gas cans to them for at least 20 years </font> )</font>

And you can't order a YELLOW one??
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good point. G