Diesel Generator off grid

/ Diesel Generator off grid #21  
For an off grid situation i also agree that diesel is the way to go. You will see way more use than a standard emergency backup unit. I see that you only have 3,500 watts of solar panels being used, so why do you think youll need such a large generator. Ive seen lots of off grid homes up here that have 5k units and operate great... as long ad they have a gas stove, gas water heater and gas or wood heat, also gas refer units. Most companies sell off grid air cooled units, but ive seen units that are only a few years old with 2,000 hours on them. An off grid system, especially in area with harsh winters, gets alot of use.

I take care of a few Generac units designed for off grid air cooled. They have huge oil supply. They seem to hold up ok, but are noisy for the amount of time they have to run.

/ Diesel Generator off grid #22  
The generac warranty I read says if unit is prime power you have no warranty, also check hours not years, 5 years or 2000 hours whichever domes first so that's only 83 days, don't know what extended delivers.

/ Diesel Generator off grid #23  
Search you tube generator mep8 you find lots to watch

/ Diesel Generator off grid #24  
A lot of heat reclaim is available with these water cooled units. I.E. exhaust,radiator air and waterside. So many options, just like in large commercial applications.

/ Diesel Generator off grid #25  
Do it yourself auto transfer, first part was finding a suitable dumb transfer switch, turns out the 200amp with service disconnect from generac for $600 in a outdoor box looks good and easy to control, and connects nicely right from the meter can. The DeepSea controllers would run the switch and provide warmup and cool down cycles. Search utube short video of guy who is going to connect from MEP-804A. Also going to add reoccurring timer so you cycle like 3hrs on 3hrs off to save fuel.