Diesel Generator off grid

/ Diesel Generator off grid #11  
Go with standard, good quality units. Kubota or Yanmar Engine. Stamford Generator End. Basler Voltage Regulator.

You could buy something like an Onan. Then Pay $200.00 for a five terminal, plastic terminal block! You are better off to find a smaller outfit, that assembles name brand, high quality componants. No computers, no diagnostic software. It's all BS!

/ Diesel Generator off grid #12  
Since you are real off grid you need to buy a genset with easy to get parts. First is the motor I would Kubota first place with longevity and easy to get parts, next would be Perkins. The most important choice is the Alternator manufacture and design, followed by voltage regulator, Genset controller, Cabinet Aluminum level 1 noise reduction, fuel tank size primary, reserve size.
Buy more than you think you can get buy with, here is why. You fuel consumption will be dependent on KW load every diesel between 25 to 55 hp draws the same fuel rate per hour based KW out. So a 10kw and 30kw will eat the same fuel rate putting out 8KW. Alternator life is based on heat so running one at 50/60 of rated output means very long life for windings and bearing. I recommend mecc alte dedicated single phase with there digital DSR controller. I like the Deep sea 7310 mkll controller with rpm sensor, current transformer sensors, oil, water, fuel. This way no matter who you buy from the manufacturer warranty's will be reliable and keep parts handy. Here is quote for such at unit
We can supply - 30kw - Diesel generator Set

-Engine - Perkins 404d-22T Diesel Engine

-Mecc Alte - ECP32-2S/4 1 Phase DEDICATED WINDING 4 WIRE Brushless Generator DSR regulator
-DeepSea 7310 Controller with mag Pick up
-Level two Sound attenuation Enclosure
-Fuel tank
-Muffler

$12,442.00 delivered to any USA 48 state Location
Lead time - 8 weeks
Warranty - 2 year/2000 hours

Let me know if you have any questions

Dan Bianchi
DbSales Company
10s274 Schoger Drive
Unit A
Naperville, Il 60564

815-342-0385

/ Diesel Generator off grid #13  
All the manuals for motor and alternator and controller are on line free to download, if you want discuss 12 wire VS 4 wire post here

/ Diesel Generator off grid #14  
I'm off grid in Nor-Cal also. I installed a military diesel generator in a small shipping container. Its a "MEB803A Tactically Quiet" 10K that can be had on the surplus market for around $4k!! I don't have enough posts to post websites yet but, look at ebay for MEB803A and search google for steel soldiers. The 803A's are technically rated at 10K but will peak at over 15k and are around 78 db. Take a real good read at steel soldiers under generators. Then go to Ebay and check them out. These are really are the cats meow for off grid life!! Please contact me through PM if you would like to talk directly.

DSCN2326 (1).JPG
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

/ Diesel Generator off grid #15  
I love the military sets, don't get me wrong. But where are you going to get support or parts. I just got my new (to me) 7.5 Onan Quiet Diesel unit going. I can't believe how quiet it is, and not just because it's in a box. BUT, being Onan, an AC connection terminal strip costs you $200.00! Even though Onan uses Kubota engines, let's say, they are different enough that I can't use one in my Steiner tractor. Maybe the basic block. So, what might you be into with special military speced stuff?

Plus, I am not sure I want to rely on an inverter generator. I have three other Diesel back-ups so I am willing to take a chance.

/ Diesel Generator off grid #16  
I love the military sets, don't get me wrong. But where are you going to get support or parts. I just got my new (to me) 7.5 Onan Quiet Diesel unit going. I can't believe how quiet it is, and not just because it's in a box. BUT, being Onan, an AC connection terminal strip costs you $200.00! Even though Onan uses Kubota engines, let's say, they are different enough that I can't use one in my Steiner tractor. Maybe the basic block. So, what might you be into with special military speced stuff?

Plus, I am not sure I want to rely on an inverter generator. I have three other Diesel back-ups so I am willing to take a chance.

Thanks for responding. The OP said he was interested in at least 10kw. Parts are no problem. Green mountain generator has everything you could want and, so does Ebay. Really though, these things just don't break down! Just service them fairly regularly and they run for ever. The price is also reasonable for a 10kw unit. There is six from one guy on Ebay right now with less than 500 hours for $4200 mounted on trailers less than 8 hours drive from the OP!! Military specs because they are way over engineered!

/ Diesel Generator off grid #17  
Industrial Toys, I know you have seen this other tread on generators but others may not have. This is my third post so I should be able to post contacts now.

/ Diesel Generator off grid #19  
If you read enough of steel soldier you will find that buying mil genset is bit of a gamble, I have 802a but I like reading manuals and fiddling around. Low hours is no guarantee of condition, if you see one with 40 hrs that's 10 years old it has not be seeing regular service and common problem is water in the exhaust that rust a cylinder and valves. Right now on gov't planet the stock of 803 do not run, so guys buy three hoping to get two running. I bought mine from a guy who fixes and sells them and he gave 3 year labor used part guarantee. But I only spent $2500. and if you want over 10 kw the 804 are 15kw but 3 phase only which means really a 10kw unit. A few months ago gov't planet had three 804a that ran and they all sold between $6k and $7k not deal to me. Buy what makes you happy

/ Diesel Generator off grid #20  
It would be most interesting to know the real life experience of people that bought military sets. It's the thing about this site. It's always, I just got this or that,, just pulled the trigger, and never, well, rarely ever, the negative experience.